300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleghany County Sheriffs Authority

Alleghany County Sheriffs are Police. They recieve an ORI and attend the Alleghany Police Academy, however i'm not sure if the reserves do. They are covered under the wire act and are recognized as a Law Enforcement Investigative agency. They have full Law Enfocement Authority. I don't know why they are so special, but in 1995 the house passed a bill recognizing them as such.

Why it only reflects them and not the rest I don't know. But they are the exeption of the rule.

Sheriffs and Constables share the same type of Common Law Authority on arrest per the Supreme Court. If they make a warrantless arrest they have to turn'em over to the local or PSP jurisdiction because they don't have a number to access the proper paperwork. Basicly, they won't get sued if they make an appropriate arrest and turn'[em over. A citizen is more open to such litigation if it turns out bad on their part.

The reserves do have arrest powers.

acsdreserve

The Uniformed Reserve Units are fully trained officers that have powers of arrest to enforce Title 18 of The Pennsylvania Crimes Code. The operation of this unit cost is

tax free to the taxpayers of Allegheny County but provides thousands of hours of law enforcement to the municipalities and cities in Allegheny County.
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

timtim,
      Having an ORI has nothing to do with anything other than the agency that is assigned the ORI has access to NCIC. DA's offices have ORI's, Probation Departments have ORI's the courts all have ORI's and most Sheriff's office's have ORI's.
      Last edited by PABear31; 11-19-2008, 12:23 PM. Reason: typos
      When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by PABear31 View Post
        timtim,
        Having an ORI has nothing to do with anything other than the agency that is assigned the ORI has access to NCIC. DA's offices have ORI's, Probation Departments have ORI's the courts all have ORI's and most Sheriff's office's have ORI's.
        Very true, hell York College of PA has an ORI. Though if you look them up, it says they are not a criminal justice agency (which is true).
        Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Originally posted by PABear31 View Post
          timtim,
          I was simply pointing out they have one some do not. Either way it doesn't change the status of their Law Enforcement presence or authority in the County they protect.

Comment

The Allegheny County Sheriff's Department is the only sheriff's department in Pennsylvania that has full arrest powers. They can do everything that the city and suburban police forces can, including making traffic stops. In some cases sheriff's deputies are even loaned to municipal police forces when they have temporary shortages.
            I believe that the 1995 law that gave the Allegheny Sheriff's dept. police powers was written so that only Class 2 counties in PA could have a sheriff's dept. with police powers. It just so happens that Allegheny is the only class 2 county in the state, as Philly is the only Class 1 county. All of the other counties are class 3 or lower I believe. This status is the same reason that Allegheny county was able to change itself to a home-rule goverment. This status as a class 2 county has given Allegheny co. several unique institutions among PA counties. I believe that also being labeled class 2 while philly is labeled class 1 doesn't sit well with all of us western pennsylvanians...like we are second class citizens (literally and figuratively).
            Last edited by thejet23; 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6229 users online. 352 members and 5877 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X