300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Hiring Freeze

Not sure if this is going to have have any effect on PSP hiring.

Rendell orders $200 million in spending cuts

Associated Press

HARRISBURG — Gov. Ed Rendell ordered an immediate hiring freeze, a ban on out-of-state travel and other spending cuts to save $200 million on Tuesday. He said the moves were needed to maintain a balanced budget as the weakening national economy starts to affect Pennsylvania.

“To make sure the commonwealth’s budget remains in balance, we need to reduce spending now,” Rendell said.

The hiring freeze will leave about 5,000 vacant state jobs unfilled, a Rendell spokesman said. The travel ban applies to state employees, board members and commissioners.

The Democratic governor said he was asking Cabinet secretaries to cut as much as 4.25 percent from their budgets, but stressed that he would maintain critical services such as public safety, health, social services and education.

Rendell said his order was not intended to fill any gap in the current $28 billion state budget, but was meant as a precautionary measure to ensure that the state doesn’t run up a deficit during the 2008-09 fiscal year. Any money saved will be placed into a reserve fund, Rendell said.

Pennsylvania’s unemployment rate rose to 5.4 percent in July, and revenue collections through August are 3.3 percent below projections.

That sluggish trend is continuing, based on collections for the first two weeks of September, Rendell said.

The current budget draws heavily on one-time dollars from tapped surpluses and relies on the state postponing certain payments. Senate officials in July projected that a $1 billion deficit could pile up in the next 12 months and force additional cuts or tax increases.

The talk of hiring freezes, not knowing for sure, must be discouraging to current applicants. Stay on point until you know for sure.

Comment

anyone know how the freeze will affect those of us who have already received conditional offers of employment?

Comment

PSP has a lot of pull in PA, if they want the bodies they will get'em. They would likley give -up special funding before bodies.
        Remember critical services should be left alone.

Comment

According to the press release from the Governor's office when the hiring freeze was announced "critical services" like public safety aren't effected by the freeze. As of today PSP was refering all questions about how the hiring freeze would effect the state police to the Governor's office who didn't have any answers. In other words NOBODY KNOWS and probably won't for several days. I suspect that this may be a ploy by "Fast Eddie" to scare voters in an election year.
          When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

"Fat Eddie" playing dirty pool? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by PaRoadDawg View Post
              "Fat Eddie" playing dirty pool? I find that hard to believe.

LOL>...It's Fast Eddie....Trust us here in Philadelphia that know him well...He is all for his BUDDIES and no one else.
              " Never judge others unless you truly know them"

Comment

Boy this brings up memories.....back in 1991 or 1992 I was contemplating leaving my agnecy for Maryland State Police, and a paramedic position. heard a rumot ref job cuts, and an entire academy class (the one I would have been in) was graduated...and laid off. Most got their jobs back in a couple of years. We hired like 5 of them as certifieds.

Comment

Then there's also the contract for the PSTA in negotiation. After the last contract "Fast Eddie" claimed that the troopers award was too big and he cancelled a couple of classes by saying that the pay raise ate up all of the available money for new hires.
                  When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by CityTrashman View Post
                    LOL>...It's Fast Eddie....Trust us here in Philadelphia that know him well...He is all for his BUDDIES and no one else.
                    Fast or Fat, still describes the same individual.

As for arbitration, I can't wait to see what the Commonwealth tries to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by PaRoadDawg View Post
                      Fast or Fat, still describes the same individual.

As for arbitration, I can't wait to see what the Commonwealth tries to argue.

Fat....only describes his appearance ...FAST EDDIE....describes how he Screws people over for his own expense.
                      " Never judge others unless you truly know them"

Comment

Fast Eddie says he wants a review on how Convicts are paroled, since there was yet another cop killed in Philly by a parolee. What a joke ! Fast Eddie knows exactly how convicts are paroled. Secretary Beard (DOC) cries to him about overcrowding. Eddies sends and edict to the Chairman of the Board (Parole) to parole more, regardless if they should be or not. In turn the DOC hides inmate misconducts to keep them paroleable. The chairman then instructs her Agents not to arrest parolees for violations of parole. When a parolee kills a cop or someone else and gets media attention. The parole Board conducts a BS investigation then blames a parole Agent. The Wheel keeps turning !!

Comment

Yeah what do they care who they let out because chances are they are never going to come in contact with them. If they are going to let ANYONE out even non-violent offenders they should all get ankle bracelets with GPS. If they can put them in cars they can put them on the prisoners. The minute one goes off the grid or tries to cut it off they should get an electric shock.

Comment

I say let the non violent drug offenders out first which probably consist of most of the % in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
                              I say let the non violent drug offenders out first which probably consist of most of the % in prison.

?....I say build more prisons and have full sentences be served.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4323 users online. 245 members and 4078 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X