300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSP and Firearms

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have already found lots of useful information. I'm also currently in the middle of the application process for the PSP.

Here's my question:

Are the firearms carried by State Police issued to them by the force or are troopers required to buy their own? If they are issued does a trooper check them in and out of an armory when he goes out/comes back from patrol or does he bring them home with him?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at purchasing a firearm for myself. If troopers supply their own, I want to make sure I get something I'd be able to carry on duty. If weapons are issued by the PSP but taken home by troopers then I feel less urgency to spend the money on another one since funds will be tight with the academy coming up.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by emilio View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and have already found lots of useful information. I'm also currently in the middle of the application process for the PSP.

Here's my question:

Are the firearms carried by State Police issued to them by the force or are troopers required to buy their own? If they are issued does a trooper check them in and out of an armory when he goes out/comes back from patrol or does he bring them home with him?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at purchasing a firearm for myself. If troopers supply their own, I want to make sure I get something I'd be able to carry on duty. If weapons are issued by the PSP but taken home by troopers then I feel less urgency to spend the money on another one since funds will be tight with the academy coming up.

Thanks for the help.
    PSP troopers are issued a firearm and have a takehome policy.

Comment

Originally posted by timtim View Post
      Is this a handgun only?

How are longarms handled?

Comment

You are issued a Glock 37 (.45 GAP) and there are no restrictions on taking it home (unless you are in a restricted duty status). As for a back up or a rifle/shotgun, if you want your own, you have to buy it yourself. The department will not reimburse you for it.

Comment

What kind of backup rifles are acceptable? AR-15?

Comment

I think you might be putting the cart before the horse. I wish you the best of luck, but think you should have some kind of offer of employment before rushing out and buying several weapons. Good luck and save your money. They'll give you what they want you to carry. If you don't know how to shoot, wait till the academy before trying to learn. Lessens the chances of developing bad habits that are difficult to fix.
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

In addition to the issued Glock each station has 12 ga. shotguns and AR-15' available for troopers to use. Troopers are also permitted to carry a personally owned pistol or revolver as a back up or when working in plain clothes. Troopers may also carry a personally owned long gun on patrol as long as it is "identical" to the Department issued patrol rifle or shotgun. The advice about waiting to prichase any personal weapons is excellent advice. Take your time in deciding what to buy. A firearm is a substantial investment on a cadet's salary, and there are some firearms that are prohibited.
              When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I'm looking at getting a Stag AR-15. Anyone know what the criteria are for "identical" to the department's AR-15s?

I appreciate the not putting the cart before the horse. I was planning on getting a rifle even if I don't get into the PSP academy this coming Feb or Jun. Depending on who wins the election, not sure there will be the opportunity to buy an AR-15 in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by timtim View Post
                  I dont think PSP have takehomes. They are one of the very few state agencies that have no takehomes. PSP is a massive police dept. Way too many troopers to issue vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe159 View Post
                    I dont think PSP have takehomes. They are one of the very few state agencies that have no takehomes. PSP is a massive police dept. Way too many troopers to issue vehicles.
                    no one is talking about take home vehicles here, talking about weapons.
                    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio View Post
                      Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I'm looking at getting a Stag AR-15. Anyone know what the criteria are for "identical" to the department's AR-15s?

I appreciate the not putting the cart before the horse. I was planning on getting a rifle even if I don't get into the PSP academy this coming Feb or Jun. Depending on who wins the election, not sure there will be the opportunity to buy an AR-15 in the future.
                      Identical is either a Colt or a Bushmaster. I don't know the exact specs offhand, so if your looking to buy one and want an identical one, let me know. I will find and post the exact models.

Comment

This is a PA site with a question about PSP so troopers should be here and everyone appreciates them taking the time to help. You said it yourself, "I aint no cadet trooper" So, you should probably be the one to leave this topic since you don't have the knowledge to correctly answer for us. What did PSP ever do to you anyway? You seem like a very bitter person or is that just your normal wonderful personality?

I know this wasn't my question, but thanks tp2165 for your help on this topic and all others. Grey always wins!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PaRoadDawg View Post
                          Identical is either a Colt or a Bushmaster. I don't know the exact specs offhand, so if your looking to buy one and want an identical one, let me know. I will find and post the exact models.
                          That would be great. Thank you.

Comment

Wow, this thread got a bit sideways. I would be interested to know the exact specs as well... like emilio stated, the window to buy an ar-15 may be closing soon.

Comment

The department rifle is a Colt Model AR-6520

You can also purchase the Bushmaster model BCWA2F-16SL and BCWA2F-16SL-PS are the only Department-approved Bushmaster configurations.

They must be equipped with a threaded muzzle break, 16" Superlight Slim Profile chrome-lined barrel with a one in nine inch right-hand twist of six lands and grooves, a semiautomatic only upper receiver with a fixed carry handle, an A2 sight system, and a six-position telescoping stock.

The only modification you can make is to the sling.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5875 users online. 344 members and 5531 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X