300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSP off duty work

Do PSP officers (current) need to be ACT 235 licensed in order to do off duty security work (carrying a gun)?

I'm going to say no, but you do need permission to work a second job. They may take the job responsibilities into account, and say no. PSP doesn't want to open themselves up to liability with a Trooper taking "off-duty" action.

Comment

According to the web site, police officers need to request exemption. I would think PSP would need to request it as well.

Full-time police officers applying for basic certification must submit the basic application for agent certification (SP8-200); the Municipal Police Officer Waiver of Training Verification Form (SP8-204); and the Police Officer Exemption Application (SP8-200 C). Both the waiver and exemption form must be signed by the Chief of Police. Officers hired after 1974 must also submit a copy of the physical and psychological exams they had as a prerequisite of employment at their current police department. If one is not available, a letter from the Chief stating both were completed upon employment is acceptable. Full-Time police officers who are renewing their 235 certification must submit the Application for Renewal of Agent Certification (SP8-205) along with the Municipal Police Officer Waiver of Training Verification Form (SP8-204).
      Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

It's pretty much a mute point as our administrative regulations don't allow off duty-security.

Comment

Originally posted by fedguy889 View Post
          According to the web site, police officers need to request exemption. I would think PSP would need to request it as well.

Full-time police officers applying for basic certification must submit the basic application for agent certification (SP8-200); the Municipal Police Officer Waiver of Training Verification Form (SP8-204); and the Police Officer Exemption Application (SP8-200 C). Both the waiver and exemption form must be signed by the Chief of Police. Officers hired after 1974 must also submit a copy of the physical and psychological exams they had as a prerequisite of employment at their current police department. If one is not available, a letter from the Chief stating both were completed upon employment is acceptable. Full-Time police officers who are renewing their 235 certification must submit the Application for Renewal of Agent Certification (SP8-205) along with the Municipal Police Officer Waiver of Training Verification Form (SP8-204).
          i used this rule to bypass the act 235 training to obtain the position i have now. anyone with an act 120 certification can do the same as long as their psychological and physical examinations are up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by tp2165 View Post
            It's pretty much a mute point as our administrative regulations don't allow off duty-security.
            Ok, I wasn't aware. My dad used to take extra jobs such as bingo hall security for a few extra bucks...but he wasn't PSP.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3048 users online. 209 members and 2839 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X