Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits to trying to do some reserve time?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits to trying to do some reserve time?

I've been a member here for a while now, a lurker so to speak. I've been in a few OR threads in the past....but there are a lot of new faces since my last visit here!

Briefly, I currently reside out of state, but am planning a move back into the Salem area in the next 3-6 weeks. I've already secured employment for my wife (and partially for myself...taking over a business). My life-long ambition to become a LEO is primary on my plate. I've been finishing my bachelors degree over the last couple of years after leaving active duty military for national guard service. I'm hoping to transfer my guard commitment, but even if I don't I have enough time in service and seniority to come and go as I please (as much as any military person can). I have a very understanding unit, and am fully qualified...so not much continuing training is needed. That's mostly beside the point.

I have a good friend who is an officer in a small town in the Willamette Valley. I've been on a few ride-alongs with him, and he has indicated to me that I could quite possibly be hired fairly quickly as a non-paid reserve officer at his unit. My ultimate goal is full time employment with a Willamette Valley department....with Salem being my primary preference. I realize that hiring could take 6-8 months, so would it be beneficial for me to attempt to serve as a reserve officer at my buddy's department while attempting to get hired elsewhere? I don't really desire to gain employment there, I'm hoping to be hired at a larger department with more opportunities for advancement.

On a side note (also an attempt to sell myself a bit), I'm starting my graduate work in public administration of criminal justice, in November. Assuming that it'll take me 5 years to accomplish this degree going very part time (also anticipating taking a 1 year break for the academy and FTEP), is such a degree something that departments would look favorably upon? Would management/supervision frown upon it as an attempt to excel too fast? Honestly, I'm not sure that would keep me from continuing my education...but I am curious. I've heard that some administrators get apprehensive of younger officers who have advanced education. That may be baseless.

One more question.....
    I took 2 years of Spanish in high school, but didn't do well. I looked into enrolling in a Spanish Communications class at Chemeketa in the fall, but I'd have to pay for out of state tuition. The class would cost ~$700 vs ~$180 as a resident. Are any of you aware of other locations in the Salem/Woodburn/Mt. Angel/Stayton area where I could attend a conversational Spanish class for less than $700? I'd really like to start working on learning to be more proficient with Spanish right away, before starting my graduate work.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Perhaps I'll see some of you soon. I'm hoping to start some ride-alongs and recruiting as soon as I get down there.

(BTW Portland isn't out of the options....just not preferred due to the commute)
    Last edited by AKSuperDually; 08-04-2008, 06:56 AM. Reason: saw a typo....

I received information this morning from the Salem recruiter stating that they are currently not hiring except for bilingual and recruits. The hiring freeze is expected to end in October though. I did notice that Marion country is hiring. Perhaps I'll contact them this week.

Comment

Reserves

AKSuperDually

A variety of agencies in the area go through the Marion Co. Reserve Academy. http://www.co.marion.or.us/SO/Enforc...rveAcademy.htm

Salem will open up for entry in the near future. They kinda have a pattern as to hire laterals and bilinguals then they will turn around and hire Entry. They usually do this about every 2-3 months.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other Questions.
      Last edited by SpartanShield; 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM. Reason: Dead links...

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, it does help. I have a good friend who works in one of those small towns, and I'm hoping his invitation to join their reserves will pan out. As soon as I get into town I'll be able to start working on those leads.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely check them out.

Are there any Salem officers who would be able to give some candid opinions of their agency (or other officers for that matter) through PM? Thanks in advance...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4052 users online. 239 members and 3813 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X