300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departments to check out

Hello I'm looking to pursuing a career in law enforcement.
    ​​I'm currently in Colorado but I'm willing to relocate if need be.
    What are some departments I should look into? What are some departments I should avoid? Affordable areas to live?

Any other advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ​​​​​

Hi,

This is a very broad question.

There are 35 counties in the state (each with its own Sheriff's Office) and dozens of PDs in most of those.

I'm here in Oregon looking. My goal is a good balance of the pay scale for urban police and the community support that you more commonly see in the suburbs or rural areas. I also prefer a larger organization. So I'm focusing on the Sheriff Offices and larger PDs in Washington, Clackamas and Linn Counties, and also just north of the border in Washington's Clark County.

Washington County SO just closed their current cycle, but they pretty regularly run 3-month hiring cycles. Same with Clackamas SO.

Linn County SO is accepting applications until 12/31. Clark County SO has a continuous hiring cycle.

Most (not all) the Oregon depts have centralized testing through nationaltestingnetwork.com.
    Most (not all) the Washington depts have centralized testing through publicsafetytesting.com.
    I bring that up because at any time you can see about 80-90% of who's hiring by seeing who's accepting test scores from those 2 entities. Add governmentjobs.com and you have nearly all of them.

Good luck -- glad to see people posting in here... I've been following the other forums wondering why Oregon is so quiet.

Comment

• Iamkre8
      Iamkre8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it! I'll look into this!!!

Originally posted by ajc1970 View Post
    I've been following the other forums wondering why Oregon is so quiet.
    Can’t possibly be due to 4+ straight months of riots that both the mayor of Portland and the state governor allowed and did absolutely nothing to stop while their state burned to the ground. Feds had to intervene by federally deputizing the state police just to get around the crooked DAs who were letting these terrorists go.

The entire state certainly isn’t in need of a check in to a mental health facility, but these are symptoms of a much bigger issue.
    Last edited by COMoparfan392; 12-08-2020, 11:54 AM.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• Iamkre8
      Iamkre8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well damn.......

• COMoparfan392
      COMoparfan392 commented
      Editing a comment
      At first I thought he was joking but then I realized how living near Portland for any length of time probably makes the average person desensitized from the constant chaos and makes them retreat deep into their personal bubble.

• ajc1970
      ajc1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think you're accurately portraying my "wondering why Oregon is so quiet" comment.

My wife and I discuss Portland's craziness on a nightly basis. I live only 15 miles from it and I have young kids, so I'm very aware of what's happening (and I don't approve).

I would expect more chatter in this forum because of it, not less.

And I know (from my personal observations) that there are plenty of people in this area still looking for LE jobs.

So no, I'm not joking, and I'm also not ignoring what's happening in Multinomah County. Despite what's happening, I would have expected more than 1 post every few months.

Cheers.

• COMoparfan392
      COMoparfan392 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the clarification. My point was that this year highlighted as to why only the most desperate candidates are seriously considering staying in OR long term. If I recall correctly, there was only one thread that discussed Portland’s madness. This entire forum in general is quiet. The vast majority of activity only arises from talk about agencies in major urban areas. So unless you’re interested in CA, TX, FL, or NY, chances are the information you will find here is outdated at best. If you want to see a dead state forum, check out ID or AK lol.
      Last edited by COMoparfan392; 12-09-2020, 04:21 PM.

I would encourage you to check out Central Oregon (Bend PD, Redmond PD, Deschutes County). Great pay and benefits, progressive mid-size agencies, similar climate to Colorado, and separated from the crap in Portland.

Comment

• Iamkre8
      Iamkre8 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll keep that in mind thank you

Washington County is solid for a few reasons. Lots of openings, they give you a timeline of when you will be hired (when backgrounds will happen, when you will have command interviews and what day is pre academy) so you know when you should hear word, new training facility (check it out on youtube), when applying you will be offered either patrol or jail deputy (jail you will be fully deputized so you will be carrying a firearm everywhere), busy area I wanna say Washington County covers like 240k population so. Only cons I saw was there is ZERO take home cars for deputies. I feel like most sheriff offices allow this, WCSO will if you're anything above patrol. They have a really impressive recruitment page, and videos both on their website and Youtube. Check it out, they are still a department I am trying to land with.

Comment

• Iamkre8
      Iamkre8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it hard to get on with them?

• BelieveTheHype
      BelieveTheHype commented
      Editing a comment
      Define "hard", I think landing with any department is a challenge. They are the only department I have seen that will layout a timeline of the first test, to when you should be hired and that is SUPER helpful so you are not sitting around playing the guessing game. From what I hear they take only the best of the best, but I also feel that is what EVERY department will say or look for. The biggest thing with me was the CPI exam, and that is just a 454 questionnaire.

First year I did not pass the CPI exam, second try I was not selected to move forward after my background was completed. Which I hear a few people have not passed those. Thankfully it was not a "yikes we found out something" and more of a ya just not selected however I can reapply in 1 year. So that is the plan for WCSO. As I said though they have an impressive website and youtube channel that shows a lot of what it is like to work there. Jail deputies make the same amount as patrol, if your heart is really set on patrol but after command interviews they offer you a jail job you can do a voluntary demotion to patrol after 2 years working in the jail and they will send you back to the academy for the police academy. Its called a "demotion" because after 2 years working the jail you will be making a good amount, and you will drop down to the starting salary of a Patrol Deputy so.

• ajc1970
      ajc1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yesterday, I took the ORPAT in that new training facility. The facility was really cool.

BelieveTheHype thanks for insight. I'll look into them. I currently reside in Colorado but I'm looking into other states

Comment

Originally posted by BelieveTheHype View Post
      Washington County is solid for a few reasons. ... when applying you will be offered either patrol or jail deputy (jail you will be fully deputized so you will be carrying a firearm everywhere), ...
      Did you apply for patrol, corrections, or both?

An officer there advised me to apply for both. He explained that they might be hiring 5 for patrol, 7 for corrections -- if you're #12 on the list and you applied only for patrol, you're not getting hired at all, however if you said both, you'll get an offer for corrections and you can swap 2 years later if you want.

That happened to him when he applied and he stuck around on the corrections side for 4 years because he ended up liking it.

I'm in the current round for both. Passed written and ORPAT, they said to expect the PHS via email on Dec 18.

I live a mile from the SO and liked the officers that I met (and that training facility rocked... if I don't get hired for this, maybe I'll ask them to let me bring my tools and add on to their plywood city). This place is high on my list (for other reasons too).

Comment

• BelieveTheHype
        BelieveTheHype commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct. When applying at NTN it says WCSO (Patrol and Corrections) so I automatically got signed up for both, only later when I got my background packet did it have me check the box of what I was applying for. The best option is to do both. I hear when you make command interviews and you are finished and they decide they want to hire you, they will tell you that day where they think you would be the best fit. If it is with the jail division you are required to be there a minimum of 2 years before you can go to a supervisor and request a demotion to patrol.

From what the jail deputy told me is it rare that your request to move to patrol gets denied. I like Washington County for a few reasons and its the very first department I have seen where jail deputies and patrol deputies are treated the same. In previous posts, it is hard to tell the difference between the two. Walking into the Sheriffs Office both a Patrol and Jail deputy will have a firearm, external vest (if they choose so), ear-piece, knife on their vest, magazine pouch's, taser, pepper spray, etc. Usually its easy to spot a corrections officer cause they usually just have pepper spray and maybe some cuffs, but I asked the jail deputy who I did a job shadow with why they carry firearms (everyone has an empty holster) and he told me the sheriff there makes them fully deputized within the county.

Meaning they will respond to calls close to the Sheriffs office and/or court house, they can make arrests and detain people. The girl during the workshop said she can do the job pretty well however she has no idea how to do a felony traffic stop because she is not a patrol officer so she can not speak on that. It was an impressive agency to see. All the jail deputies check in their firearms before starting their shift in the jail. However to and from work they are ALL carrying firearms, again I have never seen that before. Some deputies I talked to prefer the jail, others tried to get on patrol but got offered the jail job first which they obviously took and then later on moved over to Patrol. You can see videos on their Youtube, Instagram and Twitter and both their jail deputies and patrol have the same gear.

Koin 6 did a youtube video on WCSO and they girl who worked the jail said she used to work patrol but preferred working in the jail so, it is very impressive to see an agency do this. Good luck on it, again I will apply to them soon (my one year is almost up). I did not move forward past backgrounds but I am not worried, I will just try again soon.
        Last edited by BelieveTheHype; 12-14-2020, 02:47 AM.

The most important thing to look at is community support, don't go somewhere where the community and their Law Enforcement don't see eye to eye. If I were starting over I would go to Texas or Florida those states seem to have good community support overall. Stay away from big liberal cities they just don't support the police and this will make your everyday work life very hard. Also look into federal LE there are some great jobs there.

I would suggest the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Pinallass County Sheriff's Office and Pasco County Sheriff's Office in Florida. In Texas I would look into the Houston Police Department, Fort Worth Police Department and Tarrant County Sheriff's Office. Stay away from Dallas and Austin. Federally I think the US Marshal Service is the best federal LE agency I have seen. They are very tactical and do a great job. The Department of State's Diplomatic Security Service is the best kept secret in LE. They run security at embassies overseas, run protection details for ambassadors overseas and conduct passport and visa fraud investigations in the USA. They spend about half their career overseas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3767 users online. 233 members and 3534 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X