300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osp

I am looking for a state agency to work for. What do you all think of the Oregon state police?

Osp

From my interaction with them they are a professional agency and one I would not have any problem working with. My agency interacts with them on a regular basis and they do great work. The problem with OSP has nothing to do with OSP itself, it has to do with the fact that they have to do their job in the state of Oregon. There is a big shortage of troopers in this state, and even though Governor Ted keeps promising to add more, it isn't happening. I have responded to calls along I-5 for OSP because it's 3 in the morning and they'd have to call someone out of bed because they don't have the manpower to patrol I-5 24 hours a day. And we're not talking about some podunk stretch through souther Oregon, it's I-5 passing through Salem. So to end this rant, OSP would be a great agency to work for, you'd just be doing it in the wonderful state of Oregon

Comment

How is their academy? Do they have their own or do they run in with the city and county academy?

Comment

Here's a story I put together for Law Enforcement Forums.com:

The following news stories came from the OSP news release website at http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/NEWSRL/200...releases.shtml. Notice the recurring theme.

Quote:
        At approximately 3:36 a.m., reports began to come into dispatch reporting a head-on crash involving a wrong way driver in the northbound lanes of Interstate 5 near milepost 247. Marion County Sheriff's Office deputies initially responded as OSP troopers were being called out due to no troopers on duty to respond out of the Salem or Albany OSP offices.

Quote:
        On Sunday, February 11, 2007, at approximately 8:30 p.m., a domestic disturbance was called into the Washington County Sheriff's Office 911 center in Weider, Idaho. Weider Police Department Officers and an Idaho State Police Trooper responded to a residence in Annex, Oregon for a reported stabbing at that location.

Quote:
        Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers were called out early Sunday morning to investigate a two-vehicle head-on crash on Highway 18 about four miles east of Spirit Mountain that seriously injured three people. One driver has been charged with numerous crimes in this alcohol-related crash...

...There were no OSP troopers on duty in this patrol area at the time of the crash so they had to be called out from their homes to investigate.

At last count, Oregon has 329 State Troopers. This is approximately the same number as the Delaware State Police. None of the 7500 miles of state highways in Oregon has patrol coverage between 2:00 and 6:00 a.m.

A 2005 review of the OSP Computer Aided Dispatch system found that 23,938 out of 44,954 (53%) calls for OSP patrol services regarding driving-related complaints that required immediate response went unanswered due to the lack of adequate staffing.

As of October 2006, there were 672 new criminal cases waiting for “forensic biology” (DNA) examination by the State Crime Lab. At current staffing levels, it is estimated it will take 6 months to clear this backlog.

Today, there are over 22,000 DNA samples waiting to be compared to the convicted offender database. On average 1 out of every 100 tests clears an unresolved serious crime (potentially 220 serious crimes yet to be solved).

Despite the state government enjoying it's largest tax revenue in history, the Governor's proposed budget includes a new automobile insurance tax which would maintain 45 existing Trooper positions as well as add 139 new positions. In other words, if he doesn't get his new tax (which does not seem to have any legislative support), Oregon will have another 45 fewer Troopers than it does today.
        I did my internship with OSP the summer when they laid a bunch of Troopers off. Talk about low morale. There aren't any impending layoffs right now, but I doubt that morale is much better than it was then.

They're trying to do a hiring blitz right now that would hire 200 new Troopers in the next few years. The problem is that they still don't have any funding to hire any new people. The legislature finally seems to be somewhat serious about increasing the size of OSP, but they still haven't come up with any money. Too many illegal aliens that need health care and food stamps to worry about luxuries like 24-hour police patrols.

From what I've read on this forum, WSP sounds like a very squared-away agency. Any reason you're looking at other states?
        "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

As for your other question, they used to have their own academy, but it's been consolidated into the new state academy in Salem. They still do some internal academy training before and after the regular academy.
          "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

The Oregon State Police is a very professional agency to work for and they do a hell of a lot with very little.

A few years ago when they did a large layoff of troopers a handful of them got picked up by the Washington State Patrol. The Economy here in Oregon is pretty bad. Ever since they had the large layoff it has become harder for them to obtain recruits. I have heard that they have had a pretty low turnout of candidates for testing.

Keep in Mind... that this is not the fault of OSP but the very government that is supposed to advocate & support them as well as the people who pick and choose these representatives to run our state government. I think that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

OSP runs there own internal 4 week academy at Camp Rilea and then you go to the 16 week Department of Public Safety Standards and Training academy in Salem that is combined with other law enforcement agencies.

This may be a golden opportunity to apply because of low candidate turnouts. It could also mean that once hired there could be a potential for layoff because of no secure funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Oregon Mike View Post
              Any reason you're looking at other states?
              I would give anything to be part of the WSP. Was given a condition of employment to start Dec 2nd and I had to turn it down because I was one semester from graduating college. They told me they couldn't guarantee me a position and I took my chances feeling pretty confident. To make a long story short it bit me in my rear and now they don't want to look at me. Thats politics for ya. I knew that I wouldn't have finished school if would have excepted the position. Now I wish I would have. I have a degree now in a field that I don't want to work, no job, and my wife and son and I have to be out of our apartment by May 30th because we are apartment coordinators and they filled our position because I thought that I was going to have a job with the WSP. It just seemed like the month of April wasn't our month!

Anyway, Thanks for the info. I think i will turn my head from Oregon and wish them all the best.

Comment

I was suppose to test for the OSP in a couple of months, after reading all this I really think I will look else where. Las Vegas is doing alot of hiring I am in the background investigation phase right now.

Comment

All I can tell you is that their P/T is kick ***! Wages are very competitive and Growing up in Oregon, I know not to f*** with an OSP Trooper. Otherwise, I can't say much because I don't know much about them. Just from interaction and information. Good luck, I hear good things about WSP too. Why not them?

Comment

Does any one know when the Legislature is supposed to be finished with the OSP budget? And if so, what the results are.

Comment

I applied with OSP back in 99 and didn't make it past the second oral board. I know there are some budget woes, and the possibility of being laid off now, but are they so hard up that no one will even apply? Might be a good opportunity for someone like me just trying to get a foot in the door, eh?

Comment

I heard OSP is having major Budget issues, didn't they lay off a bunch of troopers a while back? And now I thought I heard that they wanted to hire a bunch of new Troopers, but they don't have nearly the budget to do it. Sounds like they need some new administration or something. Although I can't imagine it is easy to run a police agency in Oregon.

Comment

Their budget is small but stable right now. There won't be any layoffs in the foreseeable future. A legislative subcommittee just approved money for 100 new Troopers, which is short of the 137 that would be required to reinstate 24-hour patrols. The full legislature will have to get off its butt and give the final approval for that money in order for those positions to be filled.

OSP's current recruitment campaign is trying to find 200 new Troopers in the next two years. Apparently they're pretty confident that they'll get the money to hire those people, but it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

** Do not hold your breath.**

They could hire 200 and then 4 or 5 years down the road decide to layoff a handfull of troopers. The state has a bad history of providing funding to its state police over the years.

That is why Oregon State Police is having a hard time gaining recruits.

Quite a few former troopers have gone to work for other agencies and have choosen to remain with them because of higher pay, job security and more opportunity to work other assignments.

It would be a good agency to start out with. However, I would still be a little apprehensive about being laid off. It would not take you long to get re-hired somewhere else as a lateral though.

Comment

Here is a good site to look at in regards to whats happening with OSP

http://www.ospoa.com/home.html
                              Last edited by SpartanShield; 05-28-2007, 07:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4210 users online. 257 members and 3953 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X