300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departments to check out?

Greetings all, I'm a Californian possibly looking to relocate to Oregon for a career in law enforcement.

Other than Portland Police Bureau (which is on my "interested" list) could any body recommend some good departments for an out of stater to check out?

Either PD or Sheriff's Department, doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Monty
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

I'm originally from Oregon, so I know some of the reputations of departments.

I would hate to work for Portland, but I hate all cities. If you like big cities and the crap that goes with them, it probably wouldn't be bad. Their website has a good recruiting page that tells you about all their benefits.

In the Metro area, both Clackamas and Washington Counties have pretty good reputations. Beaverton probably has the best reputation of the suburban city departments. Hillsboro is pretty good too, I think.

Moving south, I have mixed feelings about Salem. I rode with them once in college, and the officers I met really didn't seem to enjoy their job. Corvallis looks like a great department from someone on the outside looking in, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about them. Not sure about Albany. A lot of civilians I've talked to think that Albany cops are asses. Eugene is an absolute cesspool, don't even think of applying there. Springfield has a good reputation. I tested for Roseburg and even though they didn't hire me, they struck me as an excellent department all around. I hear they prefer to hire locals, but if you can get in, I think it'd be a good one. I haven't heard anything about any agencies south of there.

In the east, Bend and Deschutes County are the only agencies of any size.

If you tell me what you're looking for in a department, I can probably give you some more specifics. I kind of assumed that you're looking for a bigger agency since you mentioned Portland.
    ~Slippery Pete~

If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is with representation.

Comment

Try Gresham pop 101,000 next to Portland midsize dept I rode with the reserve unit for 2 years. Great bunch of guys

PPB
      HERE"S MY 10 CENTS CAUSE MY 2 CENTS IS FREE." EMINEM

Comment

If it helps, here a link to current law enforcement job openings in Oregon. I don't know how often it's updated, but suspect it's once a week.

http://www.leds.state.or.us/jobs/jobs.htm
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I forgot I had posted this thread....

Thanks for the info. I have heard that Eugene is pretty bad, I guess they have a big meth problem there?

I have family up in Bend and I love it there, but I'm not sure what it would be like policing in the area.

As far as size goes, Portland would be about the largest I'd want to go (for a city anyways). But I could go smaller.

Also, any idea on what time in custody is like for new Sheriff's Deputies in the counties you mentioned? Thanks!

Also, L-1, thank you for the link.
          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

In oregon you don't have to work the jail first most dept up there hire corrections and road deps.

PPB
            HERE"S MY 10 CENTS CAUSE MY 2 CENTS IS FREE." EMINEM

Comment

Originally posted by PPB8881
              In oregon you don't have to work the jail first most dept up there hire corrections and road deps.

PPB
              Lane County is the exception that proves this rule. Usually several years in Corrections, then a year or so in Court Transport (getting to work the road on Court Holidays), and then eventually a Patrol position.
              ~Slippery Pete~

If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is with representation.

Comment

If you like it there, then check this department out : APD
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I checked out the site and the City of Anchorage site. I have to admit, I am somewhat interested. I would have to visit for a while in order to determine if I could live up there.

TG, you mind if I shoot you some questions via PM sometime?

Comment

PLaces to check

Originally posted by Welpe
                    Greetings all, I'm a Californian possibly looking to relocate to Oregon for a career in law enforcement.

Other than Portland Police Bureau (which is on my "interested" list) could any body recommend some good departments for an out of stater to check out?

Either PD or Sheriff's Department, doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Monty
                    BY ALL MEANS CHECK OUT THE WASHINGTON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE IN HILLSBORO, OR THEY HAVE LOTS OF MONEY AND THE BEST EQUIPMENT AND THEY ARE HIRING RIGHT NOW.. FORGET PORTLAND - THEY ARE TOO INVOLVED IN POLITICS - THE NEW MAYOR WANTS HAPPY POLICE. WASHIGNTON CO IS THE BETTER BET.

"JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE ONE DOSEN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE ONE.
                    Just Cause you have one - doesn't mean you have to act like one !

Comment

Thank you for the tip, Sigma. I will check that out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8699 users online. 398 members and 8301 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X