Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they do the medical and the pysch after you've been given a job offer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do they do the medical and the pysch after you've been given a job offer?

Why do they do the medical and the pysch after you've been given a job offer? I've been given the job offer, outfitted for uniforms, welcomed to the agency, in the process of moving my family from one side of the country to the other and am still waiting on my pysch results. Why do they do these tests after the offer? Why not before?

Originally posted by Tlbennett0 View Post
    Why do they do the medical and the pysch after you've been given a job offer? I've been given the job offer, outfitted for uniforms, welcomed to the agency, in the process of moving my family from one side of the country to the other and am still waiting on my pysch results. Why do they do these tests after the offer? Why not before?
    Do they not refer to it as a "Conditional Offer"?

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

They do, I guess I look at that more so as passing the training.

Comment

It does seem a little strange that you have been fitted for uniforms and moved your family already.

Lots of people fail medical or psych. I lost an offer myself based on the psych interview. I wouldn't make any life-altering decisions before I was actually hired hired, not, you know, conditionally hired.
        Originally posted by Michigan
        Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

We've not moved yet. Waiting to pass this part.

Comment

They do, I guess I look at that more so as passing the training.
            There is a HUGE difference in receiving a conditional offer of employment and being a probationary police officer. The hiring part is contingent upon your passing the final phases of background, physical, psych and drug screen. If you had a conditional offer and then pass the remaining items on your letter, you go to HR and get your payroll stuff going and are hired.

Passing the training is a different aspect of the process. Make it through the academy, FTO, and your probationary period, then you stand on a little more solid ground.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act or ADA) prohibits an employer from conducting a medical examination or inquiring about an applicant's medical issue except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. A psych is considered to be a medical exam for the purposes of the ADA.

As a result, once all the screening is complete and an agency is satisfied they are willing to employ you, they will send a letter stating you are offered employment subject to you satisfactorily passing a physical and psych.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That makes sense! Thank you for letting me know!

Comment

I feel like I'm being hired by the CIA or FBI. In FL where I'm currently employeed they just care if you have a heart beat.

Comment

....CIA
                    That is a completely different level of intrusiveness.

Comment

I can't imagine

Comment

Didn't mean to hit a reply..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5178 users online. 328 members and 4850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X