Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received my PHQ today. What about you guys?

Comment

• ajc1970
      ajc1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeap, I received mine yesterday and plan to do it on Monday or Tuesday.

• KIarkKent
      KIarkKent commented
      Editing a comment
      I received mine on March 3rd and completed it within the hour or two of receiving the PHQ.

Also,

Did my ORPAT (passed) today to get that out of the way.
      Last edited by KIarkKent; 03-05-2021, 05:36 PM.

• ajc1970
      ajc1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      Completed my PHQ today. I was waiting until I ordered all my docs for the BI -- only thing left for that is wife's birth cert, DD214 and car insurance claim info (23 down, 3 to go...).

Much easier than the PHS!

• Captaincrunch21
      Captaincrunch21 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I’m in the same round as you guys received my PHQ the same time as you guys.. I’m in the process of getting all my documents together.. did you guys have a hard time getting the tax forms they want? I’ve never been asked for my taxes, nothing to hid but I’m curious if you guys know what they look at them for? I’m guessing probably just to make sure I file my taxes and etc. but who knows

• I hope you guys realize what you're getting yourselves into.

I would recommend spending a day walking around Old Town, from about Burnside to Union Station, and from the river up to (but not including) The Pearl.

And try hanging out at the Gateway Transit Center for an hour after dark and then catching the last green, blue, or red train all the way to the end of the line on the east side.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 03-12-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• ajc1970
      ajc1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll readily admit that I don't know what I'm getting myself into. For me, that's more generic to policing than the PPB.

I've made and will continue to make efforts to understand the job, despite my ever-increasing belief that the only way to understand the job is to do it.

I appreciate your blunt comments and I suspect that you can answer a question that I have, based on some of your previous posts.

I'm requesting a ride-along with PPB. If I want to see the "worst" of it (in terms of dissuading me from taking the job), which shift (0700-1700/1600-0200/2200-0800) and precinct (North/Central/East) should I select?

Thank you.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      In the early '90s, the Crips and the Bloods were having running gun battles in inner northeast. Back then, the beautiful building in Saint Johns that now houses the Traffic Division, was North Precinct. That's where I worked out of at that time, and that's where all the action was. The current North Precinct opened in the summer of 1994, and was known as Northeast Precinct at that time.

Nowadays, most of the action would be out of East. East Precinct used to be located at 47th and Burnside, but has moved since I worked for PPB.

You really need to see Central days, and Old Town in particular, because as a rookie, you could be assigned there. Poop and needles, poop and needles, poop and needles...
      Last edited by Aidokea; 03-16-2021, 09:49 AM.

• Has anyone heard anything yet? Thanks.

Comment

• Captaincrunch21
      Captaincrunch21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, I haven’t heard anything yet.

• ajc1970
      ajc1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not since early March when they sent the PHQ info.

• Defenske13
      Defenske13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Heard from my backgrounder yesterday, starting my initial interview with him tuesday.

• I assume that most of you are following along with these stories, but for anybody who missed the recent one:

https://www.koin.com/news/special-re...ns-for-leaving

98 vacancies, but they're asking for budget to hire 39 sworn positions.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Anyone considering PPB, needs to read that entire article, including all the hand-written comments.

Imagine what could happen to you if someone like Portland city commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty, the mentally ill nut-ball who holds a seething hatred for police officers (especially white police officers), gains direct control of PPB.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Look at that last comment:

"The only difference between PPB and the Titanic? Deck chairs and a band."

Do you really want to buy a ticket to ride the Titanic to the bottom?

• If the Crypt Keeper and Whoopi Goldberg had a child, and it grew up on nothing but meth, you'd get Jo Ann Hardesty:
    Last edited by Aidokea; 04-08-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

•  

Comment

• Do your due diligence before you commit! There are a lot of good agencies with solid community support. PPB isn’t one of them. It’s hard enough to be a cop these days without having to work for a crappy agency.

Also, as yourself if you really want to work for a city whose solution to a huge rise in gun violence is to hire more unarmed park rangers.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...in-droves.html
        Last edited by Sheepdog13; 04-10-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• A little more Portland trivia- Ever wonder where the slogan on the sides of Portland city vehicles "The city that works" came from?

About a third of a century ago, some good citizen (with a camera, as I recall), encountered two male city employees (parks department, I think) engaging in their "alternative lifestyle" proclivities, with one of them bent over the seat of their clearly marked Portland city vehicle, huffing carburetor spray to relax his bung hole enough to avoid tearing it.

The city reportedly stepped up supervision of it's employees, and the slogan "The city that works" was pasted on marked city vehicles, to communicate to the general public that the taxpayers were paying city employees to work, not to straighten each other's lower intestines...
          Last edited by Aidokea; 04-10-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• ajc1970
            ajc1970 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would ask if this is for real but all your other stuff is accurate.

Holy...

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            I am dead serious...

• ajc1970
            ajc1970 commented
            Editing a comment
            I bet they promoted these 2 guys.

Since they suddenly had a need for more supervisors.

• Bwahahahaha! PORTland takes on a new meaning...

Comment

• Portland also has the world's smallest park- it's a circle only two feet across, located in the median of Front Street (or whatever it's called now).

It's a great practical joke when visiting Portland, to ask friends to meet you at Mill Ends Park, and then watch from a block away. Even if their GPS or phone takes them directly there, they probably won't be able to find it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Ends_Park

Comment

• In Portland, the "Old Town Rule" is not to step in the puddles if it hasn't been raining...

Comment

• Portland is the only city whose male Mayor was caught having sex with a male child in a public restroom...

Comment

• Tavern owner "Bud" Clark ran for mayor of Portland as a joke...and won.

He is best known for his "Expose yourself to art" poster, in which he flashes a statue of a female in broad daylight on a downtown Portland street:

https://youtu.be/fWxG0XRU_Io

Comment

• After demolishing the Columbia Villa welfare housing projects, I heard they've been rebuilt much nicer.

When I was going through FTO with PPB back in '91, I was told that the reason the curbs were only 4" tall in "The Villa", was so that the police cars didn't have to slow down while driving over them...

Comment

• When German born New York raised Russian Vera Katz was running for Mayor of Portland, someone printed up bumper stickers that read "I'm allergic to Katz"...

Comment

• Decided
                        Decided commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This one is kind of funny.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4134 users online. 259 members and 3875 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X