300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use more advice

So basically here is my story in a nutshell. When I was younger I never even thought about becoming a cop. I went to college and graduated with a liberal arts degree. I worked for a couple of years and I went back to school and got a law degree. For whatever reason being an attorney wasnt what I thought it would be and lately I've been trying to become a police officer.

The basic problem is this. I pass all of the tests (written and physical) but I've never made it past the oral boards. At this point I've had 5 interviews and I keep getting rejected. I'm really searching for answers as to what more I can do to pass this portion of the process. Any advice would be appreciated. I know the process is competitive but I expected to at least make it to a second interview or background by this time but it has never happened.

There is a difference between being rejected and not selected. We interview many people that we don't hire. That doesn't mean they are bad candidates, it just means they were not the top candidate. We can't hire everyone when we only have one vacancy.

You might try to start with a part-time position, especially if Oregon lets you self sponsor through the academy.

Comment

Oregon does not allow self sponsor. PM me what you think you're having issues with and I'll try and be as helpful as I can! Oral boards are tricky.. You have a very limited amount of time to make a very big impression. It is the make or break portion of the testing process. Everything else is objective but oral boards are very subjective...
      Life's too short for regrets...

I can learn something from anyone, even if it's what not to do...

Comment

First, you are not being rejected. You are simply failing the oral portion of the exam. There is a big difference between failing the oral and being rejected by a department. Know the difference between the two, especially when talking to representatives of departments you are applying to. Being rejected is like wearing a big scarlet letter.

If you are failing the oral, it is because you are not giving enough correct answers to the exam questions being posed. I can't speak for the agency you applied with, but here's how it works in my area.

First you will get simple warm up conversation (Hello. How are you? Tell us about yourself) Among other things, this measures your ability to interact with others. While it is an important part of the process, it is not a major part.

The interview usually moves on to a series of job related questions that are asked of all applicants. They measure your ability to perform the duties of the position you are seeking. It has been decided ahead of time what an acceptable response will be to those questions. Points are awarded depending on how close you come to giving a full and correct response to each question. (If five elements must be met for a question and you only give four, then you get 80% on that question.)

At the end of the interview you are scored depending on how many correct answers you gave to each question and how thorough your answers were. People are then ranked according to their scores and placed on a list. Highest score gets picked first, next highest score gets picked second, etc. There is usually a cut off - people who do not score above a certain point simply do not make the list. It sounds like you did not score high enough on the job related test to make the list.

Don't be disappointed. It may be that at this point you simply lack the knowledge necessary to do the job. Fixing this may be as simple as studying. I'm sure that sometime in your past you have come across a task that seemed impossible, but once you took time to learn it the whole thing turned out to be easy.

Look at the exam announcement for the position you are seeking. Buried in the fine print that no one reads, they usually tell you what you will be tested on. Study that material. Talk to a recruiting officer. Ask them what the test will consist of and what you will be tested on. While they won't give you the test questions or answers, the general testing areas are not government secrets. Ask them if study materials are available. Ask them if there are prep classes or study groups for applicants. Go to the criminal justice section of your local college. As them if they have any material or programs that will help prepare candidates for an oral board. Study to prepare yourself. It's all a matter of doing your homework.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5128 users online. 371 members and 4757 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X