300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulsa police dept

If there any current officers reading this, I had a question about the hiring process. I am in my second year of the waiting period. Is this normal or should I just give up. I have nothing against me. I have scored strong in all aspects, but I keep getting denied. How long was the wait for any current officers on here. Thanks.

2 year hiring process?

holy crap!
    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Never give up!!! How many times now, in the two years, have you gone throught the entire process? I've heard from several current OCPD Officers it took over two years for them to get on. A Lieutenant once told me sometimes it's a game the recruiting department wants to play to see how determined you are on sticking and staying after it. I'll say this, if it's what you want to do and they haven't given you a sign to give up, don't give up!

Comment

i thought he meant two years from when he first applied till he got a yes or no...
        The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

It is usually a 4 month wait for rejection. I have through the complete cycle twice now. I do not plan on giving up til I get something that dq's me, which I dont think there are any. The whole process has gave me a new outlook on patience..

Comment

Have you been told "thanks but no thanks" this time around? How far in the process are you making it? If you're making it to the background investigation and they are then telling you no then it could be something there that they don't like. Could be that they are just filling the slots with more qualified candidates. Hard to say with out more details.

It took me a while to get on (a year and some change). It had to do with a few things but mostly my release date from the Army.
            Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I am at one year and a few months. I think that I have lost out to better applicants so far. I have a spottless background. I just have to wait til it is my turn I suppose. I was just wondering what the average wait time is. I have talked to a few guys who have been selected on their first try and others who are kind of like myself. I was trying to poll a few more bodies that might read on this message board to help me with my patience.

Comment

a guy i know got hired at tulsa and hit the academy in less than 6 months...just saying..

i dont know what to think sometimes, supposedly all these agencies are struggling for good people and then a 2 year waiting period...makes a guy wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelm76 View Post
                  I am at one year and a few months. I think that I have lost out to better applicants so far. I have a spottless background. I just have to wait til it is my turn I suppose. I was just wondering what the average wait time is. I have talked to a few guys who have been selected on their first try and others who are kind of like myself. I was trying to poll a few more bodies that might read on this message board to help me with my patience.
                  Great attitude Thelm76! I quote you "I just have to wait til it is my turn I suppose" and that is exactly all you can do. During my BI, I hit a two month dry spell with no calls or any contact from the recruiting office. None of my references, former or current employers, or my neighbors had been contacted. I kept at ease by telling myself there is nothing I can do about the past so it is what it is and be patient. Of course, then I found out after a call from my investigator, that she hadn't even started my BI. So, I would of stressed out for no reason.

Anyway, keep on keeping on! Your attitude is great! Your next!

Comment

Originally posted by Thelm76 View Post
                    Yeah you just never know what your competition might be. I don't know much about the class in the academy right now but the one that's in field training right now has some pretty impressive candidates (at least on paper). Several prior LE including one with about 12 years with a neighboring agency. Several former military. I think even one former Federal Agent (ATF I think) that just didn't like the federal gig.

Now other classes we've had I've thought "where did they find some of these idiots." Most get washed out in FT but a few will slip through the cracks if they have lazy FTOs. Fortunately the guys I have trained have been teachable.

Just keep at it. I applied to MANY agencies before getting hired here. It's a decent place to work. Pay could be better but it's good. Take home cars, in car laptops, patrol rifle program, lots of specialty units, very easy to get a day off if you want it (24 hours notice and they HAVE to give you comp time off), etc...

Comment

Hey Chief, correct me if I am wrong, but here a while back wasn';t Tulsa having trouble recruiting people because of their 4 year degree requirement?

What do you think it is that attracts people to Tulsa, when OCPD requires no college (don't think?) and I believe OCPD pays same (Also not positive?). I'm not familiar with either dept, but theyre close from what I understand.

Comment

Tulsa is harder to get into than OKC, so ive been told, but i have buddy that got hired in tulsa who never even got a thanks but no thanks call from OCPD.

who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by Matto View Post
                          Hey Chief, correct me if I am wrong, but here a while back wasn';t Tulsa having trouble recruiting people because of their 4 year degree requirement?
                          I never heard for a fact that we were having a problem because of this but we probably did about 2 years ago when we had a big class of over 50. My guess it is always a bit difficult to recruit with that requirement. It must be difficult to find people with a degree that want to do this for a living when they can probably do something else for more money. The nice part is that those that do choose to do it are quite dedicated.

What do you think it is that attracts people to Tulsa, when OCPD requires no college (don't think?) and I believe OCPD pays same (Also not positive?).
                          Good question. Can't say I have an answer. Could be that those with the degree want to work with others of a similar background. I for one would like to see them relax that requirement a bit. We are missing out on some good candidates because of the 4 year degree requirement.

Comment

i m with tulsa pd on process since march 2006 i passed all the tests and i m in the background stage i did not heard anything from my background investigator i don't think the backgound started yet but i have a four year degree and im aplying somewhere else because i m tired of the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by mansouri1945 View Post
                              i m with tulsa pd on process since march 2006 i passed all the tests and i m in the background stage i did not heard anything from my background investigator i don't think the backgound started yet but i have a four year degree and im aplying somewhere else because i m tired of the wait.
                              That's too bad. Sorry.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6396 users online. 345 members and 6051 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X