300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office

Does anyone have any information about morale/pay/ things of that nature about OCSO? I'd glady appreciate anything (any personal experience would be greatly valued).

im going to put this delicately since im not a deputy but know quite a few including my best friend...

pay...youll make more at 7-11

morale is great unless you work in the jail, the courthouse or as a transport officer.

that about covers it..
    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Thanks. Guess that's a department I wouldn't want to look into. Knowing morale is high is good, but the statement about the pay isn't too appealing. I'm definetely not going into L.E for the money, but I plan on having a family, and think I could raise them more easily on OCPD or OHP pay (If they'll take me).

Comment

I make more then 7'11 does . I am not saying the pay is great but OCSO has been giving out raises.
        I've been at OCSO going on 7 years.

Matt feel free to send me a private message.

I for one enjoy my job at OCSO it is like any other job, it has its good and bad days.

Comment

What's wrong in the jail and the other two areas?
          "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

It depends on what you are looking for as far as a career. To work in the jail you have to have a back bone. I've spoken to cops that freely admitt they could not work in the jail.

Comment

Since John Whetsel has been Sheriff things at OCSO have improved 1000%.
              If only Oklahoma could move forward and take the politics out of the Sheriffs office. If they want to elect the big dog, that's fine. But they need some kind of merit or civil service protections so you know you have a job after the elections. Maybe someday we will step into the 21st century.

Comment

rumor is they are working on that now.

Comment

yeah i didnt want to say anything but im sorta related by marriage Whetsel.

the problem most guys have with the jail is there is no doubt that your surrounded by dirt bags..lol there is no regular contacts, just turds, tends to make some guys feel like EVERYONE is a criminal.

the jail is just boring to most, although some find it interesting, i have one friend who has used the regular hours to get his law degree, helped of course by picking the brains of lawyers and judges when he could.

i was still under the impression that starting pay for deputies was around 1600 a month...which is less than my buddy makes at 7-11, course he is in college so..
                  The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather
                    yeah i didnt want to say anything but im sorta related by marriage Whetsel.

the problem most guys have with the jail is there is no doubt that your surrounded by dirt bags..lol there is no regular contacts, just turds, tends to make some guys feel like EVERYONE is a criminal.

the jail is just boring to most, although some find it interesting, i have one friend who has used the regular hours to get his law degree, helped of course by picking the brains of lawyers and judges when he could.

i was still under the impression that starting pay for deputies was around 1600 a month...which is less than my buddy makes at 7-11, course he is in college so..
                    Yea... i read you was related to him before.
                    Starting pay for a D.O ( jail ) is $2000 a month ( goes up with how long you have worked there and with rank), Deputy is ofcource more then that.

Some of the guys and gals working there does seem to get parnoid... Some of them are just not meant for this line of work (IMO)

I'm not sure about boring.... but i've also worked most shifts and all area's at one time or another.. always had something going on. Night shift is ofcource the slowest.

that being said. I am excited about going to CLEET and that my time in the jail is done ( at the end of this month)

I think the Sheriff has done wonders with the department and I think he will continue doing so.

Comment

What ever happened to P.D. Taylor?
                      "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by sooner1975
                        Yea... i read you was related to him before.

yeah, hence why i wont bother applying to OCSO, im not going to get myself or him into a bind, or cause any "nepotism" rumors if i did manage to get hired... he already went down that road with another "relative" who works in the jail or whatnot..LOL

im glad the pay went up, i know one buddy of mine with kids was having to work 2-3 side gigs to pay for everything while his wife was in college, he has since transfered to another local agency.

i have the utmost respect for deputies, i dunno if i would want to serve evictions and such all the time...but id love to be in the mounted unit...that would be pretty darn cool.

The sheriff is darn good at his job, its still unfortunate that he is still dealing with issues (the jail) that he inheriated from hsi predecessor.

Comment

Originally posted by sooner1975
                          rumor is they are working on that now.
                          The last I heard was the bill that the legislature was considering stalled and was shelved. Language in the bill gave deputies with 5 or more years job protection, "they had to be fired 'for cause'."

Nice thoughts and it would be nice if something like that would be made law in this state.

It will be nice when this state finally realizes that law enforcement isn't just a job, but a profession and starts treating it like a profession.
                          "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

My two cents...

I was in the OCSO detention officer academy this past December until I had to drop due to immediate family concerns. I recall the pay was $2,000/mo starting and went up only slightly as you went up in rank until you reached sergeant or higher. Unless you apply as a reserve deputy, all applicants must serve at least one year downtown at the detention center, with a 6 mo. probation period, before being able to apply for the patrol division. Though we did have one cadet who was a former police officer from another city in Oklahoma and he was told by our instructor that after his six month probationary period downtown was complete, he could submit his paperwork.

The academy was about 5-6 weeks in length covering state jail standards, gang intelligence, mental health and so on and at least a week covering custody and control. Consequently, speaking of morale, our second academy day was a jail orientation tour and all the current detention officers we met seemed to love the job and had good morale. All the instructors I was able to stick around long enough to hear teach were top-notch and were there if you needed them for advice and made me feel like I was part of a team. OCSO is always accepting applications and run about 4-6 D.O. academies a year.

The pay may not be all that much and I doubt most would like working the detention center, but it's no doubt a great learning experience before one does hit the street. I have heard that a lot of patrol officers feel they couldn't handle working in a jail, but at least with OCSO, I figure by working in the jail first you'd at least know if you have the balls to try and deal with the street. When we (the applicants) were brought in for orientation prior to the personal interview, physicals, etc, we were informed that, "if OCSO could get 150 people, they'll take 150". To me that sounded as if, as long as applicants can meet the hiring standards, they'll train anyone and let the environment (the jail) weed out those who couldn't hack it. Personally, I DO intend on returning.
                            Last edited by Taktiq; 04-22-2007, 06:42 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4213 users online. 177 members and 4036 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X