• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If YOU had to choose

What would be your choice......

OHP or Norman PD?

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Although I live in a different state, I am faced with the same question.

Pros to working for the state:
    Better Equip.
    Better Pay
    You are not micromaneged by supervisors
    Do not see supervisors the entire shift

Cons:
    Backup not nearby
    At the mercy of the state legislature
    Have little control on where you live

Pros to working for the city:
    More community involvement
    Backup close by
    Faster opp. for advancement
    Better control over where you live

Cons:
    Around supervisors and brass all the time
    Pay
    Equipment

Keep in mind I don't know anything about Norman PD so what I said might not be true. This is the process I have done for my situation.

Comment

OHP!

I agree with most of the above.

Here is the reason I applied for the OHP and granted I'll admit that I'm biased:

Little micro-management. You're given a gun a badge and top notch training. When you are complete with your training, you're expected to perform your job.

Very good pay....so many other local policemen think they make more money than troopers and maybe with their other off duty (over) time they do. However, OHP trooper pay is very good. The OHP offers excellent benefits (health and retirement plans) with no out of pocket expense for my family. This is an allowance on top of your base pay.

Good equipment is issued by the OHP. Just a couple I can think of is the Sig p226, an AR-15 and an 870 and again very good training on how to use each. Most other agencies require you to purchase your own rifle and or shotgun if you would like to carry one. You also get your own patrol car shortly after graduating the academy.

Either department would be a good choice and as far as I know there's nothing wrong with Norman. I just like what the OHP has to offer. Different strokes for different folks!

Good luck!

Comment

I think I will just have to grow some patience and wait for the next OHP academy. I really love the idea of being a trooper. Being a city cop sounds interesting to an extent. I'd rather just chase tail lights and work traffics instead of dealing with "my neighbors grass is too high" or "he beat me up but I don't want to press charges".

Comment

Why care what everyone else thinks? Police are the Police because they want to be, same for Troopers.
          What do YOU want to be? If you can answer that question, go for it.

Comment

I 100% agree.

Comment

Originally posted by llucas83
              I think I will just have to grow some patience and wait for the next OHP academy. I really love the idea of being a trooper. Being a city cop sounds interesting to an extent. I'd rather just chase tail lights and work traffics instead of dealing with "my neighbors grass is too high" or "he beat me up but I don't want to press charges".
              Sounds like you answered your own question. If that's the type of police work you want to do then OHP is the place for you.

Although I disagree with the micromanagement stuff. When I was in patrol I saw my supervisor once a shift unless it was a major deal (homicide or something similar) or if I called for him.

Good luck.
              Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

If I could just walk in,and go to work I would pick the OHP.Gotta love those Mount me hats!!!!
                FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
                  If I could just walk in,and go to work I would pick the OHP.Gotta love those Mount me hats!!!!
                  Besides with a Troopers car you can take a little electrical tape and make his trunk say "ATE POOP" or "STATE POOPER". luckily I can run faster than my partner who works the turnpike.
                  "You, you, and you ... panic. The rest of you, come with me."

- Unknown US Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt (first)
                  - Sergeant Major Jonas Blane (The Unit)

Comment

I never thought of that!!I'll have to remember that.Got a trooper around here that is fresh out of the last academy and knows EVERYTHING!!!
                    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MudPupp
                      Besides with a Troopers car you can take a little electrical tape and make his trunk say "ATE POOP" or "STATE POOPER". luckily I can run faster than my partner who works the turnpike.
                      Oh I just gotta go do that.

Comment

OHP

I know Norman officers who have left to be Troopers, and lots of other municipal officers who want to be Troopers.

I don't know any Troopers who want to be city officers.

Nuff said?

Oh Yeah, they also have some of the coolest police motors around:
                        Last edited by Bighead; 02-27-2007, 06:03 AM.
                        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Norman PD.
                          The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

wow

If I did not have to go for the entire live in accademy I would be sold! I love riding sportbikes and I would do anything to have that job! Well almost anything I guess ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Bighead
                              OHP

I know Norman officers who have left to be Troopers, and lots of other municipal officers who want to be Troopers.

I don't know any Troopers who want to be city officers.

Nuff said?

Oh Yeah, they also have some of the coolest police motors around:
                              I know of a couple troopers that wanted to be OCPD. One was in my academy, he quit because they were too tough on him. The other was a retired trooper and he quit during FTO because it was too much work. Go figure!
                              Some folks are just not cut out for certain jobs. Like others have said, ask yourself what kind of law enforcement you want to do. Once you figure that out, everything else is just minor details.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3967 users online. 191 members and 3776 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X