300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone insurance forms

I've had a couple drivers try to show me their cell phone with their insurance verification on it. They swear that their insurance agent told them that the digital form on their cell phone was just as legal as the paper form. I asked both driver's if they would like me to take their cell phones back to my car to review their information (of course I wouldn't). Of course they had that blank look on their faces. I told them that they are required to produce the paper form (per state law)so that we can take it back to our car for review while we run their license. I just wondered how many agencies have been coming across this problem. Apparently the insurance companies are trying to save a buck.

I think this is where the confusion is coming from -

http://www.ok.gov/oid/documents/1106...20Bulletin.pdf

You may want to start accepting cell phone verification after all.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The citation for this is one of the few that do not have a court fee if the offender does provide proof to the court by the arraignment date. It used to require security verification be proven to the court within 48hrs. Officer safety dictates my discretion in citing for this or the moving violation. I'm not going to stand at the door while they surf the web on their smartphone to obtain the security verification.
      Obedience to Law is Liberty.

Comment

L-1 thanks for the information. I don't think the electronic part of this verification was really thought out by the insurance commission. I will definitely start taking this as proof from know on and will pass this onto my guys.

Comment

I completely agree flhtbill, officer safety must come first. One of the driver's cell phones had a smashed screen; needless to say that didn't work as proof. I still think the paper insurance form is a must, especially when you are working a major accident where the driver is not able to produce the electronic version because they are injured or deceased.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3036 users online. 143 members and 2893 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X