Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NewsOK.com: "Oklahoma Highway Patrol buys black cruisers to help stay out of the red"

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewsOK.com: "Oklahoma Highway Patrol buys black cruisers to help stay out of the red"

Never thought I would see this, then again, desparate times call for desparate measures.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol buys black cruisers to help stay out of the red
    BY MICHAEL MCNUTT
    Published: February 19, 2010

Doing away with its recognizable black-and-white cruisers, selling airplanes and reassigning troopers to law enforcement duties are measures being undertaken by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol to cut expenses while increasing the number of troopers on the road.

view all photos The patrol will save $700 per cruiser by not having the patrol’s black-and-white paint scheme, said Rep. Randy Terrill, chairman of the House subcommittee on public safety and judiciary.

New cruisers, mostly Dodge Chargers, purchased by the Public Safety Department will be black, said Terrill, R-Moore. They will continue to be marked as patrol units and be equipped with emergency lights and other gear.

Going away from the black-and-white cruisers, which date to the patrol’s early days in the 1930s, will allow the patrol to buy an extra four to five cars a year, Terrill said.

"Having a dual-colored car actually reduces the resale value of the car,” Terrill said. "It (having one color) actually increases the resale value by 1,000 bucks a car.”

Highway Patrol Maj. Rusty Rhoades said the patrol, which has about 820 troopers, has about 850 marked cruisers. About 365 cruisers have more than 100,000 miles and 62 have about 150,000 miles on them.

The patrol, which during better economic times in the state replaced cruisers when they reached 70,000 to 100,000 miles, now doesn’t consider replacing vehicles until they reach about 140,000 miles, he said.

The patrol bought 94 cruisers last year, Rhodes said. Money to buy and maintain the cruisers comes from ticket fines, not tax dollars.

Rhoades said the patrol uses the black-and-white cruisers because they stand out.

"Our intent is to be high profile so people don’t break the laws so hopefully we don’t have to take that much enforcement action,” he said. "We’d rather people slow down on their own than us having to slow them down.”

Going with black cruisers and other cost-saving measures, such as eliminating most BlackBerries and cell phones to nonessential personnel, delaying construction projects and increasing the truck size and weights and safety inspection’s enforcement division, should result in a savings about $4.5 million for the 2011 fiscal year, Terrill said. The Public Safety Department’s budget this fiscal year before across-the-board cuts was about $90 million.

The changes take effect immediately and should result in savings of about $850,000 for the 2010 fiscal year.

CONTINUED
    sigpic

There does come a time when common sense has to outweigh tradition for nothing other than the sake of tradition.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a all black car....

Comment

I see that black OHP Charger every week. It's black alright with no overheads. It's got LED strips all over it though...front and rear windshields, grill, etc. It looks AWESOME. Definitely stealthy.
        Actively applying in OK and CO.

Comment

All black is definetly much more stealthy and just looks cooler! ha. and saving money isnt bad either! i applied for the 60th academy last year, and then they didnt have it so that sucked, seeing as how that is what i have been wanting to do! hopefully they will have one soon!

Comment

im a fan of one color cars actually, although my first agency sucks in every sense, my car was a slicktop all one color and it was SNEAKY..
            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Black has a cool factor, but I think I would opt for all white.

I suppose black might be better when they decide to resale, but how much difference could it make on 140,000 mile troop car?

As I type this I've changed my own mind. I think like a city cop mostly, and for that I would opt for all white. I think that Brownies sitting in the hidey-hole playing ambush the speeder might be better suited with black, especially working after dark.
              "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Although I love the traditional black and white, I have an all white car, and it is nice to sit on a shoulder and not be noticed way until I've already done estimated someone's speed, as well as confirmed it... several times over! I think black would be nice as well, but I've never driven one... so I have some jealousy there for sure.

Comment

When I worked for a tribe we had all black slick top Crown Vics, I LOVED that car!! Now they are going to all black slick top Chargers.....I'm so jealous.

Comment

I think losing the "oh sh*t" factor with a blk/wht car is one of the biggest reasons that many depts have not gone to a solid color. There is a lot to be said about the presence of a black and white scout car as the mere presence changes peoples driving habits...
                    "You, you, and you ... panic. The rest of you, come with me."

- Unknown US Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt (first)
                    - Sergeant Major Jonas Blane (The Unit)

Comment

Originally posted by MudPupp View Post
                      I think losing the "oh sh*t" factor with a blk/wht car is one of the biggest reasons that many depts have not gone to a solid color. There is a lot to be said about the presence of a black and white scout car as the mere presence changes peoples driving habits...
                      +1
                      You can't fix stupid!

Comment

+1
                        You can't fix stupid!

Comment

Yep i agree with you on that.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7516 users online. 424 members and 7092 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X