300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for the academy?

I was well into studying my ten codes for the columbus police until I was informed of the class cuts, but I know them pretty well. While I am waiting I want to get more of a head start incase I get into the next class. Can someone give me any advice on what to study or anything else I can do that would help me prepare. Is there a site where I can find ohio laws (I seen the online ohio revised code) procedures etc, that could help me?

If you go to Roy Tailors on the west side of Columbus, close to the Academy, they have the pocket Criminal and Traffic Guides, which are easier to study than the ORC.

That helped me to read through it quicker, just an idea

Comment

thanks, i'll check it out

Comment

When I went through the CPD academy (many years ago), I'm not sure many prepared academically ahead of the normal classroom work. The major thing I noticed with many recruits was they were OUT OF SHAPE. I joined from the military and it was rough for me. From what I see of (some) today's youngmen is they have strong thumbs from playing video games, but many are overweight and just not in the best physical condition. So, my suggestion to you is to remain active and run...then run some more. I hope you don't smoke. You might want to prepare yourself for being pushed around...physically. Not many guys have been in a fight and the self defense/boxing course can be an awakening. We lost one recruit during boxing. He refused to fight..............FIRED! Like my signature states, police work is not for the faint of heart, be tough, be strong and be safe. Good luck.
        The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Well I just graduated in may and I was a 2 time ncaa all american in track as a sprinter and I still workout about 4-6 days a week so i should be in shape as long as im healthy and yes im 23 and love playing videogames to . Just gotta start doing more distance running i guess since my body is mainly trained for under 400meter running. My main concern is the academics. What was the problem with the boxing? Was it all straight up bare handed combat, gloves? Id be more worried about the oc than that.

Comment

It appears you should have no problem with the running. The boxing is heavy gloves and headgear. It's designed to see if one is geared for fight or flight. During tests a group of guys would meet at ones house to study. Don't sweat the bookwork, you'll do fine. The real test is the street.
            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6377 users online. 370 members and 6007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X