300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Troopers

Can anyone tell me anything about the Ohio State police? I'm thinking about applying and would like to hear some details about the agency and the application process. I've looked at the website but I figure that first hand experience is best. Is anyone on here processing for them right now? Any current or former troopers here?

Ohio state police and the highway patrol are 2 different deals. I'd assume you are leaning towards highway patrol though. I personally don't know much about the agency and their specific duties but the applicatio nprocess is very similar to other agencies. I can tell you that they HATE being told they were your backup plan to a municipal department!

Comment

All I can say is good luck. I was working the Ohio State Fair with one of their DI's and he told me that they are currently at maximum staffing. The last class that graduated had 17 recruits that had to be dispatchers for 6 months before they could get out on the street since there weren't enough vacancies.
      He told me that they may not have a class for another year or more.
      That being said, in my opinion, OSP is a top notch organization. Very professional and highly trained. All of the troopers I have come in contact with have been very good people and extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
        I can tell you that they HATE being told they were your backup plan to a municipal department!
        Haha I can imagine that statement would upset them. You are correct, I was looking at the highway patrol. What is the biggest difference between the highway patrol and the state police?

Comment

We don't really have a state police per se. The Ohio State Police Officers police various state facilities and fall under the authority of the OSHP. I don't really know the specifics of that though, because I know the troopers also handle crimes on state property. The highway patrol troopers in Ohio handle primarily traffic offenses on the interstates and state routes. Most posts handle all accidents in their assigned area, with the exception of more populated areas where accidents are handled by municipal departments.

I will tell you that from my academy experience, the instructors that absolutely stood out the most were troopers. The level of professionalism in that organization is bar none. This is not a slam on any other organization, or any of my other instructors, but I was very impressed with their demeanor and knowledge.

I have also heard that issue with the last graduating class being dispatchers, however I heard it was due to lack of budget for cruisers for them, so who knows really.
          Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Very professional organization, strict hiring standards, and military style academy. Be aware that they are the "Highway Patrol," so, unless you get into an investigative unit, most of your activity will be traffic related. They stop a lot of drivers, so obviously they make a lot of warrant arrests and recover tons of drugs.

Comment

I was impressed by their website and it seems like they have a pretty aggressive recruiting campaign going on. Hopefully the budget gets straightened out. Does anyone know if they have a test for each academy class, or do they establish an eligible list and process multiple classes from the list?

Comment

I believe they keep an active eligability list that incorporates multiple tests. They do aggressively rescruit but I just went through the Basic Academy Class and many of their Cadets did not recieve Trooper position due to lack of funding.

They are a world class law enforcement organization but getting in and graduating from the Academy is a tough test

Comment

I would never apply for just that reason. Just because you graduate the academy doesn't mean you have a job as a trooper. The Super of the HP can appoint you or NOT appoint you--you are not guaranteed a job.

Comment

For those who are not appointed to trooper, what other areas besides dispatcher could they be appointed to? Are all who complete the academy guaranteed some type of state job if there isn't enough funding? Is there a chance that you could complete the academy and still have to sit at home and wait for a call?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      I would never apply for just that reason. Just because you graduate the academy doesn't mean you have a job as a trooper. The Super of the HP can appoint you or NOT appoint you--you are not guaranteed a job.
                      I don't think this is entirely true, to my knowledge those that were placed as dispatchers will be appointed as troopers as soon as budget allows.
                      Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Unless they have changed the rules it is true, and I got that from an instructor at the OSP academy when I was taking an in-service class there. If you are not appointed to some type of position you are simply released from service, very similiar to a probationary release. The reasoning I was given was that while you may have passed the class, you are too much of a goof-ball, a hole or whatever that you don't fit the mold or what they expect from an academy graduate and they don't want you. Look at the Rhode Island thread on their State Police, they operate the same way. Graduation from the academy does not guarantee employment. That said, the graduates you are talking about probably will be placed as troopers as soon as practical because they want them as troopers and think they will be successful in that role.

Comment

The recent graduates still awaiting positions are only waiting on the funds needed for them to become troopers. I was in the basic class throughout the time they found out and know all the current academy instructors. I spoke with several of them at my last training there and they said they were still waiting for the money.

If they had a cadet they really wanted to get rid of, I am sure they would give them some "extra" attention during the academy to encourage them to quit

Comment

Is there a class going through the Academy right now? Is anyone here currently processing for the Highway Patrol?

Comment

There is no OSP class but there will be a Basic Class starting the end of August.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4791 users online. 179 members and 4612 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X