300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio LEO's please help??

Ohio LEO's can you please let me know how to register a firearm to the state of Ohio. I don't take to gun out of my home, it's just used to home protection. I applied for an LE job in another state and the BI's need proof even though it's not a requirement in ohio?
    "I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."

Michael Jordan

Assuming you purchased the handgun at a gunstore, it was registered by filling out the FFL form. Any LEO can run the serial number to obtain the owners name.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

No state law, in Ohio, that requires guns be registered nor is there a way to register them. One could run a gun serial number threw NCIC to check if it is stole or not.

You can't just "run" the serial number and get the owners name in Ohio. The FFL from was for the background check, it does not register the gun. Say I purchased a hand gun, then sold it at a gun show. Since no background check is required for this, that gun has been privately transfered with out any paperwork.

Comment

What he said. Some cities require a gun to be registered, but that would be a local ordinance. There is no state law requiring the registration of firearms. Maybe a letter from your local police dept. stating that there is no "registration law" would be sufficient.

Comment

I would venture to say I graduated from the academy before you were born.

As far as the rest of your post, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about as it has nothing to do with the poster's question.

Toledo, Cleveland and Dayton require registration. Not sure about other big cities in Ohio. It is illegal if a court says it is illegal. The HB can be interpreted or argued that cities have the right to require registration as long as they don't prohibit legal ownership, but that will be a matter for the courts to decide if anyone decides to go that route. My interpretation is that registration is illegal, but it is still being done.

I concur with your last statement.

Run along junior, Sponge Bob is about to come on.

Comment

+1 with Joe's posts. And besides, who would want to register a gun(I know its for your BI), if you register them Obama will be knocking on your door next spring to collect it from you.

Comment

Originally posted by wpelish
              I am getting sick of these other experienced guys giving me a bad name through indirect actions. But even I know its all a part of the game. Besides I don't need anyone else help me look like an idiot. I do fine all by myself.
              What game are you talking about? Are you talking about advice given on this forum by experienced, veteran street officers, who have more than one year of service? Exactly what size department do you work for, a township, city, county, suburb? That might help some of us understand your remarks. The original poster asked a simple question that has a simple answer here in Ohio.
              The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
                +1 with Joe's posts. And besides, who would want to register a gun(I know its for your BI), if you register them Obama will be knocking on your door next spring to collect it from you.
                Heh, that made me chuckle.
                To bad it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by HonorUSN View Post
                  Ohio LEO's can you please let me know how to register a firearm to the state of Ohio. I don't take to gun out of my home, it's just used to home protection. I applied for an LE job in another state and the BI's need proof even though it's not a requirement in ohio?
                  Your thread got jacked majorly by Mr. cranky from OFCC (I'm guessing).

I would just explain to your BI that here in Ohio, there is no way to even register a firearm even if you wanted to. Offer to give him the serial number, your receipt (if you still have it), or like just joe said ask you local PD to write a few lines saying we don't register firearms. Hopefully that will satisfy him.
                  And good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wpelish
                    Once again Look at State Wide Pre-emption! You do not have to register a gun in Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus, Cinci and never had. You have to be a registered forearms owner. But even now you don't have to do that because of Pre-emption. It is state wide!
                    I'm not really sure what has gone on in the few NE Ohio incidents has anything to do with this...?

Anyway, to jack the thread even more, I believe I know what you are referring to. Even though I believe you are only posting to "feel" us out or maybe provoke a few things, you are somewhat right.

HB347, passed in 2005 I believed, preempted all local firearm laws and made them uniform threw out the State of Ohio. Toledo, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati used to have their own assault weapons ban, after the federal one expired, this bill nixed all of those and whatever strange laws some had. I am not positive, but I believe HB347 nixes cities requiring people to register firearms, making them carry firearm cards, etc.

Comment

Thanks JB21386, and all others who took the time to respond to my post. I contacted my BI and let her know about Ohio requirements. The sad part is because all the questions she asked about the firearm, I almost regret purchasing it. It never ever ever leaves to lockbox in my home, and I feel obligated to protect my family. I think we all can agree that the greater cleveland area is a rough place to live.
                      "I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."

Michael Jordan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5348 users online. 346 members and 5002 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X