300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohio license plates

Hi I work for a department in indianapolis and i was wondering if any of you might know why alot of the drivers I arrest for driving without ever having recieved a license, or suspended prior, have ohio plates and indiana address. Illinois plates are becoming very popular too. Does the process to buy license plates in ohio not require any proof of a license or address like it does in Indiana? This seems to be really popular with unlicensed latinos.
    Last edited by miller76; 05-11-2008, 11:28 PM. Reason: hoping to clairify
    Sometimes there's justice! Sometimes there is just US!

uhhh what?

Comment

Do you mean, they LIVE in Indiana, but have Ohio tags with Ohio adressess listed on registration?

Comment

I have always been amazed but you do not need a valid license to register a car. It's totally unbelievable. I have filed felony warrants on someone and put it into the LEADS system and they were still able to renew their tags. Gotta love it!

Comment

Originally posted by LPI View Post
          Do you mean, they LIVE in Indiana, but have Ohio tags with Ohio adressess listed on registration?
          yes that is exactly what I'm saying. It seems to be popular among the latino community over here

Comment

Originally posted by miller76 View Post
            yes that is exactly what I'm saying. It seems to be popular among the latino community over here
            Yeah, you don't have to have a valid license to register a car. A loop hole to say the least. When we run a tag through our MDC though, and the owner doesn't have a valid DL, it will cross reference their driving status and come up. Does the owner's DL status come up for you when you run an out of state tag?

Comment

No all our system will give us is just the plate info. I did figure out that I could run an Illinois temp tag and get a full return with owner info and vin# Our temp tags just go back to dealer info, how do yours work? Does the dealer have to reg. it to the vehicle? some dealers here are getting smart and writing a vehicle description on the dealer tag. Something like "2006 red chevy malibu"

Comment

I have only seen our temps go back to owner. I can see that being a pain for you if the owners status doesn't come up when running out of state tags. I run a lot of tags and through that I get warrants and DUS's.

Comment

There is a Mexican Consulate office in Indianapolis who issue Mexican nationals an "official" mexican ID, which they then use to obtain licenses/registrations. I have seen those often here in Ohio, which they try to pass off as a legit license.

Comment

You are right on your assumption, you do not have to have a driver's license to register a vehicle in Ohio. Never made any sense to me either.

We see a lot of illegals in Central Ohio with a registered car and no license info comes back when you run it. Stop them and you have a no op's arrest.

I don't understand why they would be in Indiana with an Ohio license. Just must be traveling for the easy license plates.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6719 users online. 319 members and 6400 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X