Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opota

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opota

    No offense meant to anyone.

    Is it really worth while to get your OPOTA or would you recommend going to CPD academy? As you can tell I am not sure what direction i want to go yet. I guess the main question would be? Is the OPOTA really worth your time? I know the hiring rate in Ohio for LEO's is slight, so I wanted some feedback from everyone to see if it was worth it. A relative of mine has their OPOTA and is still trying to get a job, 1 yr later. Which after being on here seems to be normal.


    Thanks everyone

  • #2
    Originally posted by mdmiller View Post
    No offense meant to anyone.

    Is it really worth while to get your OPOTA or would you recommend going to CPD academy? As you can tell I am not sure what direction i want to go yet. I guess the main question would be? Is the OPOTA really worth your time? I know the hiring rate in Ohio for LEO's is slight, so I wanted some feedback from everyone to see if it was worth it. A relative of mine has their OPOTA and is still trying to get a job, 1 yr later. Which after being on here seems to be normal.


    Thanks everyone

    It depends on what your focus is. Sometimes it take a year or so to be hired by a department. The big city departments require you to go through their academy regardless if you are certified or not. Now you said "CPD" which I take as either Cincinnati, Columbus, or Cleveland. So if you want to be with a big city then no, do not do it on your own. Some smaller departments will also send you to the academy unless you have 3-5 years of experience in a similar department with similar demographics. But then there are other departments that require you to be certified before you even apply. It really depends on where and who you want to work for. Also, just because your relative has his OPOTA certification does not mean he is qualified to be a cop which could explain why it is taking him so long. A lot of academies will take anyone into their academies but it does not mean that they are qualified. Some academies just like to make money. So there are many factors that you need to consider when making this decision. As for me, I only applied with departments that sent you to the academy and things look very promising for me.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have no idea what CPD means. Most small depts will not send you to the academy, so you need to get it on your own. If you're going to work for a large dept. or one that sends you through the OSP academy, the info you learned would be an advantage, but you're going back through again anyway. Open enrollment academies are money makers--plain and simple. I've seen goofballs go through on their own who have zero chance of ever getting hired.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree with "just joe". I went through OPOTA over 3 yrs ago, 36 of Us started, 21 graduated and only 5 of us ever landed jobs. Other 16 are still "looking" and had to take the refresher course. I also agree with the School just making $ and letting anyone go through. I believe this should not go on cause pretty much anyone could go through and learn the police tactics and use that advantage against a Police Officer to commit crimes. Unless you know for sure that you would get hired then Yeah, do it. If you wanna walk onto a Huge Dept like CPD (Cincy?) then NO do not. THey came to recruit us a week before graduation and said that we would have to go though their Academy all over again. Why would I waste that $ and time to do it all again?
        DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

        Comment


        • #5
          If you have a particular department in mind call them regarding academy qualifications. As stated before, the big cities have their own big academies. Even current police officers are required to attend the academy. We had a Florida Trooper in my academy class (Columbus PD).
          The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

          Comment


          • #6
            Out of 13 of our graduation class, ALL 13 had jobs within a few months of graduation. About half full-time, half part-time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
              I agree with "just joe". I went through OPOTA over 3 yrs ago, 36 of Us started, 21 graduated and only 5 of us ever landed jobs. Other 16 are still "looking" and had to take the refresher course. I also agree with the School just making $ and letting anyone go through. I believe this should not go on cause pretty much anyone could go through and learn the police tactics and use that advantage against a Police Officer to commit crimes. Unless you know for sure that you would get hired then Yeah, do it. If you wanna walk onto a Huge Dept like CPD (Cincy?) then NO do not. THey came to recruit us a week before graduation and said that we would have to go though their Academy all over again. Why would I waste that $ and time to do it all again?
              does this also ring true with OPOTA academies within a state university?
              When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
              -JPR

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by oshphopeful View Post
                does this also ring true with OPOTA academies within a state university?
                In my opinion, yes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Went through an OPOTA academy 10 years ago. 35 started and 32 graduated the academy. 28 of the 32 landed jobs. 1 got a job out of the academy and ****ed it away before her first day by getting a DUI w/ injury crash the day before she was supposed to start with her agency. 1 got bounced from the CPD academy for possession of drugs while in the academy, 2 served time in the Ohio state prison and are now out on probation (both worked full time at very respectable agency's prior to the arrest), 1 got arrested for impersinating a police officer while employed as an animal control officer, 1 made sergeant at an agency in Kentucky prior to getting fired for some indescretion, 2 others are working as sergeants, 1 is a federal agent with DHS, 1 is a lieutenant, several others are working full or part time in agency's. I have been working full time in law enforcement for 10 years. While these academy's do make money it is still up to the individual to secure employment. If they want to pay the dollars before securing a job so be it. Our tactics are not that secret. You can buy probably 2,000 videos or books on law enforcement tactics. Ohio is a hard place to get a law enforcement job, but in my opinion it is one of the better states. Pay, cost of living, training, retirement, benefits it is pretty good. The key is to get your foot in the door as an auxilliry or part time first. Get to know people and agency's. that is how you will get a full time job. I started part time in the courts before going full time corrections then full time patrol. BE patient. If you stick it out it will happen.

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 6925 users online. 281 members and 6644 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X