300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccw

I'm going to be in Columbus for a week in April. I have a CHL in Tennessee, which has reciprocity with Ohio.

I'm going to read all of the pertinent statutes before my trip, but I was wondering if somebody could give me a quick and dirty overview of concealed carry in Ohio.

Mainly interested in the Don'ts of the Do's and Don'ts.

Thanks.
    Why do I carry a gun? Because I can't throw rocks at 1300 FPS.

Don't carry into any government building, period.

Don't carry into any building posting a no weapons sign, this is pretty much anything that isn't a government building.

If you get pulled over, turn your dome light on, roll down your window, place both hands on the wheel, and immediately notify the officer that you have a CCW and a weapon on you.

Failure to do any of these will result in a bad day for you :/
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks FiremanMike, That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Definately don't want to have that bad day you're talking about.

Any other strange little gotchas I should be aware of? I thought I heard once that when transporting a weapon, it had to be in plain sight or something. Or is that for people who don't have a CCW?

Comment

When transporting in your vehicle it can only be in 1 of 2 places

1. Locked in a case outside of the passenger compartment (i.e. the trunk)

2. Secured in your holster on your person

AFAIK there is no stipulation of plain sight, and I would just keep it in it's normal concealed position.
        Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ProLEOCiv View Post
          I thought I heard once that when transporting a weapon, it had to be in plain sight or something. Or is that for people who don't have a CCW?
          When we first got the right to ccw that was the law, but now you can have it concealed on your body in a HOLSTER. But dont forget to notify the police you have one, first thing if you get pulled over.
          Cincinnati PD

Comment

One more place, school safety zones.

I was never sure how you could drive through town without hitting at least one school zone but it's one of the listed don't's.

Comment

It can be in a locked or zipped case IN the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle or in a holster on your person. (With a CHL)

Main places not to carry - Gov. buildings, businesses with no carry signs, and restaurants that serve alcohol (felony).

There are some Ohio concealed carry websites with more in depth info.
              Last edited by LPI; 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

No Gov't buildings. No bars or restaurants with class D liquor license (for consumption on the premises). No Libraries. No Schools. No places that have a sign barring CCW posted clearly at the front or public entrance. There are others. This should answer your questions: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...et20070314.pdf
                Last edited by Jethro1984; 04-29-2008, 10:13 AM.
                Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

Thanks, everybody, for the answers and the link.

I appreciate it.

Comment

Be advised that it is a CRIME to not stay IN your vehicle if stopped while armed. It is a CRIME to not notify the officer "promptly" of your chl and armed status. It is a CRIME to not keep your hands in sight on the steering wheel.

When transporting in your vehicle it can only be in 1 of 2 places

1. Locked in a case outside of the passenger compartment (i.e. the trunk)

2. Secured in your holster on your person
                    This is not true, the firearm can also be locked in the glovebox, or secured in a case or container that requires action to open, IE zipper, snap, velcro, latch(this portion of the law looks almost written to describe a womans purse, or a man purse hehe)....THIS case or container MUST be in plain sight if you are operating the vehicle.

Armed passengers MUST also notify the officer if you are stopped.

By the way, even though I live in Florida now, I had an Ohio CCW when I lived there. I carried until I left in Sept 07. Because I did not transfer or cross-qualify in Florida and I no longer have an Ohio DL, this means my CCW was invalidated. I am just waiting to be sworn in as an LEO in Florida in a few weeks to start carrying again (In state +HR218). Hope all this helps.
                    Actually Jethro several people have reported that moving out of ohio does not invalidate the CHL, you could not renew it.
                    Bill
                    Last edited by willbird; 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM. Reason: adding clarity
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9314 users online. 311 members and 9003 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X