300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed OPOTA

Well, I officially took the OPOTA exam in Columbus on Wednesday. Found out last night I passed, as did my entire class. Really excited. 6 months of hard work payed off...Now, just need a job.

Congrats! Good luck on the job hunt
    "In each of us, two natures are at war...the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are." Dr. Henry Jekyll

Comment

What part of the state are you looking for?

If you're anywhere near cincy there are several agencies looking for new recruits with OPOTA.

Comment

Just curious, what academy?
        BTW, Congrats!

Comment

I'm looking in SW. Went through Clermont College Police Academy.

Comment

I heard they are gonna change the run to a 100 yrd sprint which is BS, I worked my Arse off the do it under 11:58. Started @ 15:00 finished @ 11:22!!
            If i can do it, anyone can!! Anyone else hear of this??
            DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

I haven't heard that, but I think they should change it. It's unrealistic to believe that a police officer will chase a suspect for 1.5 miles. I know it's endurance, but I think boxing and ground fighting techniques are more important and will show endurance as well. I know several officers who worked their butt off to pass the run and it is hard work, but for what the academy teaches LE about fighting is lacking and OPOTA has their priorities out of whack.
              "In each of us, two natures are at war...the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are." Dr. Henry Jekyll

Comment

Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
                I heard they are gonna change the run to a 100 yrd sprint which is BS, I worked my Arse off the do it under 11:58. Started @ 15:00 finished @ 11:22!!
                If i can do it, anyone can!! Anyone else hear of this??
                Where did you hear they are changing the run to a 100 yard sprint? What would the time for that run be? That would be an interesting change.

Comment

Your right Taterbug it is about endurance. After you sprint after someone for 1,2,3, or 400 yards you may have to fight with the subject, you really need the endurance. Plus you never know you may have to run after him for over a mile, so wouldn't it be good to be ready for this. I'm 43 and can run it in the upper 15's, if I can do it anyone can. I tested in Seattle and they have a 300 meter sprint, and ten minutes later you run the 1.5 miles. By the way I got a job offer from Seattle, I'm supposed to start the academy in April.
                  Cincinnati PD

Comment

Well Pat, first, congrats on the job offer. Second, I would not run a mile after someone. Reason for that is, we have a LONG wait for backup and the extenders don't work that far away from the car here. If it is a serious crime and I can't catch the perp w/n a reasonable distance, I will make use of the K-9's. I would rather know that the rookie backing me up can fight for a long time, as chances are it would be 10+ minutes for backup, than to know he/she can run long distances. Anyone who has had to throw down with someone knows a few minutes can seem like a lifetime. Now, that's not saying that I wouldn't like the sprint include a lenghthy wrestling match at the end. But I see your point. I'll agree to disagree

Comment

Cinciglocker, what agencies in southwest are hiring? Maybe I have missed a few. Thanks.

Comment

I know Newtown and Reading are hiring. Springfield Township and West Chester posted a hiring add a few weeks ago but I believe they are closed.

Comment

I believe that Wilmington Police and Washington Courthouse Police are hiring.

Comment

not true, just be patient, i got lucky, applied one place, took the test, got hired. process took over a year, but they paid me to go to academy. there will always be people who don't get hired everywhere and make it seem like there are no jobs anywhere. there may not be 100 openings everywhere, but there are jobs in ohio, just keep looking and be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by wpelish
                              Here is my best suggestion for all of you still in the academy. Quit now! Apply out west and they will pay you to do the same thing you are doing at this very moment! Califonia(San Diego) pays great and is looking. Trust me its worth it. Ohio has no jobs unless you want to pound pavement once or twice weekly for 5 hours at a time meeting people. It is a very hard market to break even if you are going part time.
                              Do I sense someone who wasn't able to get a job in Ohio in LE?

The open enroll academy is a great thing IMO. It can give an opportunity not otherwise available, for the student to prove himself. Instructors are from surrounding depts. and they will approach you about applying with them or simply have a positive word about you when you apply. (If you prove yourself!)

Saying there are no jobs in Ohio is complete BS. EVERYONE from my graduating class got jobs within a few months, about half full-time and half part-time.

If you want to get paid to go, there are plenty of depts. doing that too. Either way, at most acadamies you earn 30-40 college credit hours, so you are paying for the credits in a sense. It's a win-win.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7459 users online. 221 members and 7238 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X