Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Police department Q?

Hello everyone,
    I am entering the Columbus police academy in mid December. I am just curious what everyone recommends as far as what kind of physical shape one would recommed for someone like me who is entering the academy? I run three miles a day and do a lot of lifting and push ups. Should I focus especially one any one thing? How much do you usually run when you start in the academy. i would appriciate any input that anyone has, especially CPD current officers.

thanks everyone for their time

stay well rounded. keep running and lifting, find a nice balance between the two

Comment

Congrats. I don't know how to tell you to prepare because there really is no way. Be in shape physically, mentally and emotionally. Be ready for what they dish out to you. And realize what they give you in the academy may be a 10th of the $hit you'll get on the street. If you feel like quitting, don't. Pay attention, work out, work hard and remember PRIDE! Good luck to you.

Comment

Congrats on the Academy, Im currently in the process and running like crazy but I just want to make sure I am pushing myself hard enough ...When you took your VO2 test what speed was the treadmill??

Comment

it is not the speed on the treadmill that will kick your butt, it is the incline. find a nice hill about a mile long and run up it a few times with your nose plugged....lol!

Comment

by the way, that is an amazing academy you guys got. i was up there recently to take the state test and i have to say it's quite the facility

Comment

anybody know when the written exam is for those who applied in september/october '07?

Comment

I'm glad you asked that JKOSU. I hadn't yet recieved my test date either, so I called civil service yesterday and here's the scoop. Anyone who applied on September 24th which was the first day that you could open the link to apply, your application was lost. There was a computer "glitch" that day and they lost everyones info. The bad thing about it is they had no information with which to contact those whose applications were lost. I would say if anyone applied for the test and has yet to hear back that may have been what happned to you. Call Civil Service NOW and they will hopefully be able to get you in. I've heard testing is next thurs 15th and fri the 16th.

Comment

Carey, Ibelieve the stress test starts at 10% incline at 1.2 MPH. Google the Bruce Protocol VO2 Max test for answers to your questions regarding the test, lots of information!

I have a buddy that applied in the application filing process and took his written test last saturday, you should hear something soon if you were accpected to test.

As for everyone else, just be ready for anything. If you are in shape and of sound mind, it is nothing you cannot accomplish. I don't know what the CPD academy itself is like but most if not all academies focus on the principles of hard work and dedication. As mentioned above, PRIDE. If you follow your core values, you will succeed. Everything you do will go back to one of them!

Comment

hey ill be taking my test the 15th, ill be probably the biggest one there (6'0 270 lbs) yeah i know i need to lose weight lol
                    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                    Rocky Balboa
                    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

To reinforce what Magicman said, be in shape, be of sound mind, and have your crap squared away. They won't put up with any BS while you're there.
                      Lawenforcer: You would be the biggest guy in my class by about 30 lbs. I don't know what kind of shape you're in, but we run quite a bit, up to 5 miles. If you're in great shape, fine, otherwise, you'd better lose some weight.
                      As for the rest of you, good luck with the process. It's very rewarding if you make it through.

Comment

yeah im a big guy, the problem is i played football for eight years, and being a lineman and an oversized fullback i was told to always stay big, and i was in decent shape and decent speed. The problem now is im 2 years out of high school and im trying to adapt to my "non" football life. So im losing weight now, just a little harder than i expected.

I figure this testing will be for the dec 08 academy , and looking at their entrance physical test i can pass all phases of it, i am already OPOTA certified, did the 1.5 mile in 11:55, 36 push ups, and 50 sit ups.

Im just big, and im not neccesserely in horrible shape, i just dont like the image of it.
                        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                        Rocky Balboa
                        Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

JKralC104
                          Thanks for the info....thats exactly what I was looking for........

Comment

Took the test, quite easy, but a lengthy 5 hours...... oh well! i hope everyone did well. Results come Dec. 15
                            sigpic

Rocky Balboa
                            Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

Run....Run...Run..and then run some more. The CPD instructors are like deers. Also be able to do a crap load of push ups and sit ups. Other than that, its easy. I showed up the first day 6-2 260lbs and dropped 30 lbs from all the PT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12888 users online. 423 members and 12465 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X