Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swimming requirement at Columbus or Ohio State Police Academy??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming requirement at Columbus or Ohio State Police Academy??

Does anyone know if there is a swimming requirement involved in either of these academies? For physical training i have been concentrating on running, sit ups, and push ups, however i have noticed on this website that a lot of academies incorporate swimming as a major factor in PT. Does anyone that has gone throught these academies have any insight on what to expect?

I can only speak about OSP. If you end up there, you will become VERY familiar with the training tank. PT was held there at least once a week incorparating both in water PT, in and outs, and PT around the pool deck among other activities.

Comment

tg84osu is exactly right, you will become very familiar with the tank! It would help you to swim but a lot of the exercises you'll do in the tank involve more than just swimming laps. They have all types of fun things in store! You'll learn to love the tank! (Or hate it!) Best of luck!

Comment

I love the water and I love to swim (although I haven't in a long time, I can still swim with no problem). Great cardio work-out.
        Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

I have to third what the others said about the training tank. At OSP you have PT in the tank once a week. If you don't know how to swim.. learn before you go down there or you'll have to wear a life jacket and get harassed. Unwanted attention you don't need.. especially in that atmosphere. Last thing you want to do is stand out.

On top of what they already mentioned.. get familiar with diving for bricks in the deep end also. Good times!
          Reno 911 - Season 1:

Garcia: "Oh God.. call for help!"
          Wiegel: "Help! Help!"
          Garcia: "Use your goddamn radio!"

Comment

Columbus PD does have a swim portion of the academy. Not that hard though, not many pools in the inner city. Alot of open fire hydrants though which is always entertaining.

Comment

It must always be kept in mind however, that there is no OPOTA requirement which stipulates any P.T. event taking place in a pool. Just the 1.5 mile run, push ups, and sit ups..........

That said, Pool P.T. is very demanding is is terriffic for strength and endurance.

Laps, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by tg84osu View Post
                I can only speak about OSP. If you end up there, you will become VERY familiar with the training tank. PT was held there at least once a week incorparating both in water PT, in and outs, and PT around the pool deck among other activities.
                Originally posted by missPOinOHIO View Post
                I have to third what the others said about the training tank. At OSP you have PT in the tank once a week. If you don't know how to swim.. learn before you go down there or you'll have to wear a life jacket and get harassed. Unwanted attention you don't need.. especially in that atmosphere. Last thing you want to do is stand out.

On top of what they already mentioned.. get familiar with diving for bricks in the deep end also. Good times!
                Sorry, is this something new??

I am a Trooper (14+ years). I can't swim at all. Not even a little bit. They did not attempt to teach me or the other 4 of us that couldn't swim.

Yes, I did some swimming tactics, such as throwing a full size spare tire in the tank..jumping in after it and using it to paddle over to a pretend drowing subject....(btw, I almost downed attempting this, hehe)

Later, I got to circle the pool by hanging on the outside walls of it, while everyone that could swim did laps back and forth for an hour.

Not me or anyone else wore a life jacket. I'm positive of this. I was over 6 foot tall, weighing 168 pounds with 10% body fat back then. During that tire drill, I sunk to the bottom of the pool like a ROCK (i.e. "almost downing").

Out of my 27 weeks of training, we did that for like 2-3 days. We never, ever did any real PT based on swimming. And I've never really seen any class in training doing it since I joined.

I do not work at the Academy so I do not know what may have changed but when I go back for In Service every year, I've never seen a single cadet in that pool.

** Edit ** I think why everyone has such different accounts to what happens is that about 2/3 of the Academy staff rotate in and out back to the field about every 3-5 years. Thus, different folks training new Cadets with just about every 3rd or 4th class.
                Last edited by RuthlessOne; 07-26-2007, 12:32 AM. Reason: -
                http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/

Comment

When I went through the Basic program, we had pool PT in the training tank every Thursday morning.. bright and early at 0600. The cadets that were there during my time also had pool PT once a week. There were a few guys in my class that could not swim and had to wear lifejackets. The staff would not let them just PT on the side of the pool... everyone had to be in the pool and do the same thing. It basically consisted of doing laps, in's and out's, push-ups on the side of the pool, diving for bricks, treading water in a circle while passing the brick, etc.

We (basics) didn't have the Water Survival class but I know the cadets still get it towards the end of their program.
                  Reno 911 - Season 1:

Garcia: "Oh God.. call for help!"
                  Wiegel: "Help! Help!"
                  Garcia: "Use your goddamn radio!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5828 users online. 332 members and 5496 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X