Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking the news to your current boss...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the news to your current boss...

How and when did you current LEO's inform your previous boss's that you were applying and interviewing for a Police Officer position?

Keep yer trap shut fer now........(Smile)

I suggest you don't say anything until AFTER you have received a WRITTEN offer of employment from your agency.

If you tell them about this search and it doesn't pan out, not only do you have no LE job yet,..... you also now have a supervisor who will question your dedication and loyalty to your current position.

THEN you'll be up da creek, yo.

So after you get your offer, give him repectable notice. 2 weeks is the standard, but if you've been treated decently, give him/her a month. I typed out a letter of resignation to my previous employer prior to leaving with a month's notice. After he reviewed it, he took me aside on my last day and promised me that my job would still be there if I needed it back.

Something to think about.

Comment

I agree with B&G. My current employer knew that I was going through the process, and encouraged it. They knew when they hired me that I was moving on to bigger and better things. When I got my letter, they found out that day that I was leaving in two months.
      Be respectful and give them at least two weeks.

Comment

I let my boss know before I even took the written exam for CincyPD. LOL. But my circumstances are different because I already work for another city agency so it would be more like a transfer for me.

Comment

They are going to find out anyhow, I told my Chief that I was looking @ a dept and it was nothing personal against the dept or city but the new job is better pay, better benefits for the family. I put in a 3 week notice, figured it was beter than 2.
          DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

Those of you suggesting waiting on a conditional offer, I disagree. If you're worried how your employer is going to react to you looking, you need to tell them right after you pass your written/oral/PT test. Why is this? Because when they begin your background....your employer is OBVIOUSLY going to find out. Give them a heads-up.

Comment

See that is what i was thinking too, i don't wan the first word that i am leaving the company coming from the BI. I guess I'm just really nervous about saying anything. I have a fairly good relationship with my boss, he has always spoken highly of me and praised me for my good work, however we are not like best friends or anything. It is just a very awkward situation to go into his office and bring up the fact that you are pursuing a different career especially when he has absolutely no clue at the moment.

Comment

It can be done buck. Not too hard at all. What you must remember is that any good boss will want you to be satisfied with your career and want the best for you. If he's a decent guy, a simple "Hey can I talk to you a minute" should be sufficient. Just mention that your ambitions have changed recently and your are pursuing a new love. If he's a good boss, he'll throw his support behind you, albeit mourning your loss of contribution to the company.
                Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

It is inevitable that you are going to have to tell your boss. I wouldnt worry about it until the letter from the PD hits his desk. There is no use worrying about something until it happens. Then you are going to have to spill your guts.

Comment

Just wait…

I applied for a city department back in 2006 and not only did I tell my boss but my co-workers as well, What a mistake that was. I made it all the way to the Psychological and failed the exam, Till this day my boss talks and treats me different and to make it worse the guys at work all clown on me for failing. I’m currently in the same process but no one knows, This time I’ll just leave them a one or two week notice on the desk if I pass of course :0)

Comment

yeah but how is it possible for your current employer not to know you are looking when they do background checks prior to offering you employment? By the time you are ready to give your 2 weeks notice the BI would have already called your current employer for a background check, right?

Comment

Some departments allow you to specify not to contact your current employer (as it may jeopardize your current position or put you in a bad spot).
                        Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

Well I am in the background portion of the hiring process with a dept and one of my personal references just got a letter asking about me. Well I got a lot more paranoid about my boss finding out than I thought I would. So i came clean to him about it and it went better than I thought. He said he hadnt got a letter yet but when/if he did, he would give me a good recomendation. I feel a lot better now that I have that off my chest !

Comment

you got rattled over that, maybe you don't have the mental toughness to do the job, just a thought

Comment

geee, thanks trooperden for your kind words of encouragement....lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3143 users online. 181 members and 2962 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X