300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on training??

I have been training for about a month now for the fitness test. I am 6 ft and weight 205 lbs. After college i kind of let myself go and got out of shape. However i have been on a vendetta to get that turned around here in the last month. I know that everyone says run, run, run, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how far you should be running, how much cardio per day, how many workouts per week, what kind of intensity level you should have with each work out, etc??

I was 207 when I started the Ohio Academy and I ran the 1.5 in 14:45. Go to a HS track @ night and run @ your own pace for a mile. Then bump that to 1.5 then work your way to 2.0 w/o quitting. Slowly, work on your 1.0 time. get it to 9 minutes. After that, try a 1.5 as fast as you can. Then go back to the mile until you can do it in 8:00. Then the same, work your way for the 1.5 in under 12. With your age, you have to do it in 11:58. This is what I did before the academy and during I worked my way up to 3-5 mile jogs then worked on the run time. I graduated running it in 11:22 and was down
    to 184lbs.
    DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

congrats man, that is awesome. Yeah i know i have a long way to go fitness wise, however i am determined to drop down to at the most 190 lbs. That was my playing weight back in college when i was in the best shape of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by osubuck View Post
        I have been training for about a month now for the fitness test. I am 6 ft and weight 205 lbs. After college i kind of let myself go and got out of shape. However i have been on a vendetta to get that turned around here in the last month. I know that everyone says run, run, run, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how far you should be running, how much cardio per day, how many workouts per week, what kind of intensity level you should have with each work out, etc??
        As long as you can do 1.5 miles in the prescribed amount of time and can do the pushups and situps you are fine for the academy. That time depends on your age and gender. However, in my opinion you should maintain as high a level of fitness as you can throughout your career. This job is stressful along with the physical demands that go along with it. Staying in shape will help with all the stress. Also when you do chase that guy down you need to be able to then get him cuffed. You can have the best training in the world but if you are out of shape you won't be able to use it. Run at least 3 days a week. I preferred 5, M-F. If you want to do various workouts thats fine, like intervals or something like that. Frankly I would just go out and run. How far are you running now? If you don't know find out. Then get a watch that has a stop watch and start keeping track of your times. Start trying to beat your times. If your running 2 miles, pick one day a week and run 2.5 miles. I am a firm believer in working harder for a shorter period of time instead of longer at less intensity. I would also be doing weights. Again I don't know what your schedule is like. At this point in my life I try to do weights MWF and cardio TThS. I don't spend more than an hour in the gym and I try to keep my cardio under 40 minutes. This is my opinion and mine only. You can talk to other guys and will get other ideas. I will say this however, the academy is stressful enough without having to worry about getting singled out because your out of shape. Work hard now and it will pay off later. Make sure you can do the pushups and situps before you get to the academy. While your watching TV do pushups or situps during the commercials.
        Wow, I didn't know I could be this long winded... Anyway good luck with everything!

Comment

Running is my big concern right now. I have ~50 days until the start of CPD's academy. Pushups and situps aren't a problem for me, as I can do well over the number given (I know that I'll be doing more, just saying that I can do more in one set that is needed to graduate). Right now I'm running between 2-3 miles every other day at about an 8:30 pace. I want to be able to do 4-5 miles by the time I start, but I'm not sure I have enough time to get there.
          I have orientation on June 6th, so that will hopefully give me an idea on where I stand with other recruits, and how the instructors view my fitness.

How does that look to you, Mega? Think I've got time to make those improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by osubuck View Post
            Originally posted by drewsy64 View Post
            Running is my big concern right now. I have ~50 days until the start of CPD's academy. Pushups and situps aren't a problem for me, as I can do well over the number given (I know that I'll be doing more, just saying that I can do more in one set that is needed to graduate). Right now I'm running between 2-3 miles every other day at about an 8:30 pace. I want to be able to do 4-5 miles by the time I start, but I'm not sure I have enough time to get there.
            I have orientation on June 6th, so that will hopefully give me an idea on where I stand with other recruits, and how the instructors view my fitness.

How does that look to you, Mega? Think I've got time to make those improvements?
            Drewsy, I think that's fine where you are at for the academy. You are going through the academy in the middle of the summer so that is going to be rough PT wise. If your running 3 miles at that pace you are fine. I think your goal of 4-5 miles is a good one. If you don't make it by the academy that's ok... Just keep pushing yourself, and something I failed to add in the other post. Don't eat junk, you can have great workouts and ruin it by eating garbage all the time. OK, that's it, I'm off the soap box...

P.S. Welcome aboard!

Comment

ditto what mega said. Eat well, treat your body well and run, run, run......... Balance lots of proteins with moderate carbs and fruits and vegs. Drink lots of water. I don't even remember what we ran in the academy. Alot. And it was middle of summer and it sucked. But I'm glad I did it because it seems on a daily basis someone wants to run from me. I'm still in good enough shape to catch up every time. Don't just think about what you have to do for the academy to pass but why you have to do it and what you'll do when you're out there. Every precinct is different but where I am it seems, everyone wants to run. Hey, it keeps me in shape. I lift weights in the morning and do a workout at my home. For now I don't have to run. But for anyone training I would definitely recommend at least a 5 mile run at least 5 days a week.

Comment

yeah, that's what I'm trying to get to. I went out today for about 3 miles, and I'm going to go out again Thursday. Starting next week, I'll go M,T, off W, back on Th and F. Either way, I know I'll be worn out when I start in July. I'm just looking to make it as painless a transition as I can. Probably wishful thinking.

Comment

Well, you know soccer players beat football players in the running game everytime.

Comment

LOL, but when I form tackle you, you won't run anymore

Comment

Originally posted by drewsy64 View Post
                      LOL, but when I form tackle you, you won't run anymore
                      whatever. you should have been there the other day. I was airborne. Looked like Urlacher on his best day. You do not want to meet me on the wrong side.

Comment

I'll see you at the Bulldogs game, then. We can settle this one in a few months, on the field.

Comment

yeah. whatever.

Comment

http://www.cocosheriff.org/letc/acad...ng_program.htm

read this!! it gives alot of good tips for training!

Comment

Originally posted by Magicman View Post
                              whatever. you should have been there the other day. I was airborne. Looked like Urlacher on his best day. You do not want to meet me on the wrong side.
                              I would have paid good money to see that!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5872 users online. 345 members and 5527 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X