300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSU Police

I know someone tried to start a thread about OSU awhile back, but I thought I would try again. I am scheduled to take the written and physical on wednesday on campus. Does anyone have any info on the dept. How many they plan to hire, how long the process takes, reputation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Yea I'm the one who tried to start the thread but hopefully we'll get more replies about this one! I'm doing the testing on Friday so I won't see you there but best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jhempfield View Post
      Yea I'm the one who tried to start the thread but hopefully we'll get more replies about this one! I'm doing the testing on Friday so I won't see you there but best of luck.
      I dont know anything about it but if its a campus police department i say go for it all the way.
      "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Very political. Have to deal with college kids all the time who think they are all lawyers. They just got a new chief who retired from Columbus as a commander and was VERY unpopular there...

Comment

Well that doesn't sound encouraging, but you never know. I am trying to get into the field so I don't think I can be that picky. I also just graduated from there, so I know how "college kids" can be, lol. jhempfield, have you applied anywhere else around here? Good luck to you, wonder how many we're going to have there.

Comment

I'm taking the tests on Friday too. See you guys there.

Also, I did a ride-along with them a couple months ago. According to the officer I rode with, the department is down about 10-15 officers in terms of manpower, so they may be hiring quite a few through this process.

Comment

That's good news. Do you know how they rank the candidates; written, physical, whatever? I couldn't find much on their site. I'll let you guys know how it went after I get through it tomorrrow.

Comment

I'm not sure how everything is ranked.
                Anyone know if there extra credit for having a college degree? I didn't hear anything about it and was wondering about it.

Comment

Good to see that this thread is going well. Just stopped by to bump it up again. I wish the best of luck to all the applicants.

Comment

Well, took the written and physical today. The French Field House was not fun, felt like a hundred degrees in there. We had a few people drop through the physical phase. I would say that we had less than 20 people take the written. They said that they're going to take the top fifteen written scores to move to background right away. They tell you you're score right away; got an 89, the human resource lady said that is a really good score, but hopefully it holds up. They want to put 2-4 noncertified people through the August class at the OSHP. Sounds like a good shot for all. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by osubucks22 View Post
                      Well that doesn't sound encouraging, but you never know. I am trying to get into the field so I don't think I can be that picky. I also just graduated from there, so I know how "college kids" can be, lol. jhempfield, have you applied anywhere else around here? Good luck to you, wonder how many we're going to have there.
                      It depends on what you want to do as a police officer. If you work for a small department you are going to have very limited options as to what kind of work you are going to do. If you work for an agency like Columbus you are going to have lots of different opportunities but you have to wait for seniority. Police departments around the country in general are looking for people because of lack of applicants. Are you tied to this area or willing to move? Something to think about...

Comment

Originally posted by megasaurus View Post
                        It depends on what you want to do as a police officer. If you work for a small department you are going to have very limited options as to what kind of work you are going to do. If you work for an agency like Columbus you are going to have lots of different opportunities but you have to wait for seniority. Police departments around the country in general are looking for people because of lack of applicants. Are you tied to this area or willing to move? Something to think about...
                        very well put

Comment

To me working for College law enforcement is more like a glorified security guard. It depends on what you want, and how you see yourself as an officer. I am interviewing with some of the cities around columbus because i actually want to be actively involved in the policing of a city. To me with a college department you are going to be transporting people who are scared to walk across campus, and going to people's dorms when they think someone has stolen something. I mean honestly what more is there to do than that? I think now that people have seen what happened at Virginia Tech they are feeling inclined to get involved with campus police, however what is the likelihood that something like that will happen again? Maybe it could, maybe it won't. I'm not trying to downplay those on here who are campus police. If that is your perogative then awesome! All im saying is you have to really sit down and think about what you see an officer as being. What is it that made you want to become an LEO? If high speed pursuits, chasing down a fleeing subject on foot, or responding to domestic disturbance are what drew you to law enforcement then campus police is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by osubuck View Post
                            To me working for College law enforcement is more like a glorified security guard. It depends on what you want, and how you see yourself as an officer. I am interviewing with some of the cities around columbus because i actually want to be actively involved in the policing of a city. To me with a college department you are going to be transporting people who are scared to walk across campus, and going to people's dorms when they think someone has stolen something. I mean honestly what more is there to do than that? I think now that people have seen what happened at Virginia Tech they are feeling inclined to get involved with campus police, however what is the likelihood that something like that will happen again? Maybe it could, maybe it won't. I'm not trying to downplay those on here who are campus police. If that is your perogative then awesome! All im saying is you have to really sit down and think about what you see an officer as being. What is it that made you want to become an LEO? If high speed pursuits, chasing down a fleeing subject on foot, or responding to domestic disturbance are what drew you to law enforcement then campus police is not for you.
                            WOW!!! You really must have no idea at all. You will be VERY surprised of the things that happen on campus. The only thats different with most college campus's that im sure that alot of others can agree is that some things they keep hush hush and dont leak out to the public. I honestly beleive that anything that happens at a local municipality you can probably see on or around a college campus. Some campus police are more proactive than others. Not every college campus is boring as hell and nothing happens if thats what you think. In some states the college and local police have what is called a concurrent jurisdiction which works out pretty well. Before you go making accusations I think that you should get your facts straight. Theres a bunch of agencys that could be glorified security guards from campus police leading up to federal police officers which include watching gates all day. Thanks for your input and be safe.

Comment

I wasn't making an accusation and if you read my post i said that i wasnt down playing anyone with the position. All i was saying is that if you wanted a more "action packed" job your best bet would be a city department. Maybe i am wrong however everyone i have talked to has agreed with this frame of thought.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2771 users online. 157 members and 2614 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X