300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODNR Natural Resources Officer

Is anyone in the process for this position? Also, does anyone know the day to day responsibilities of this position?

I knew guys who did it years ago. They did general law enforcement, as well as hunting/fishing/boating stuff. They were generally in a ****ing contest with the park manager if the park manager did not have a LE background. The newer rangers were always worried about getting laid off come budget time because Parks is one of the first things the state would cut in the annual budget. I don't know if things have changed or not. If you had seniority you had a pretty good gig, and you could do as much or as little as you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Barneyfife55 View Post
      Is anyone in the process for this position? Also, does anyone know the day to day responsibilities of this position?
      Did you start the process for them? I see they’re hiring quite a few.

Comment

Someone told me yesterday that you have to compete to be placed once you graduate the academy. But the plus side would be having the OPOTA cert. might be able to get on with some smaller LE agencies with that cert. Big cities and their suburbs will often want you to do their academy of choice even if you are certified.

Comment

It does surprise me that the State (on a hiring freeze) would hire for this position over Trooper cadets.

Comment

I doored up with one last week and they make their rounds going from park to park in their assigned patrol districts. Lot of driving, hence they have many properties they're in charge of for providing law enforcement service. You're a cop for the state owned parks. I imagine you can make it as eventful as you desire or can skate by doing your 8 hours responding to what needs handled and go home. Based on what I'm told if you're already peace officer certified in ohio it's not required that you have to attend another academy, otherwise they send you to the state patrol academy.

Comment

Yep, they put people who are already OPOTA certified directly into field training. One minor issue though, is that even if you’re already OPOTA certified, they still start you off at what a 1st year officer would be making. No pay credit for prior time/experience. Definitely not a deal breaker, but something to think about.

Originally posted by WoodCo.Explorer View Post
              I doored up with one last week and they make their rounds going from park to park in their assigned patrol districts. Lot of driving, hence they have many properties they're in charge of for providing law enforcement service. You're a cop for the state owned parks. I imagine you can make it as eventful as you desire or can skate by doing your 8 hours responding to what needs handled and go home. Based on what I'm told if you're already peace officer certified in ohio it's not required that you have to attend another academy, otherwise they send you to the state patrol academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4091 users online. 258 members and 3833 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X