Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in Ohio vs Out of State?

Hello

I'll be graduating this August with my bachelors in CJ. i have a clear history other than some moving violations. About 3 or 4 to be exact. I wanted to know would it be easier to obtain employment for Columbus, Dayton, or surrounding suburbs in Columbus or go out of state? Also, does anybody know departments that will overlook if you have 4 moving violations? One of them expires this August. Literally, two days after i graduate college.

Thanks.

Congrats on your upcoming graduation first off. Employment, that would decide on where you want to go and what you are looking for. Every agency is going to be different, with different hiring requirements and process/length.

No violations ever expire when you are applying for law enforcement. Now are they going to be a huge deal? that really depends on what those violations are. Take Columbus, if you get to the point of a panel interview, they will ask about them. Columbus and Dayton are going to be long , lengthy several step processes to be hired. Cbus can be over a year, and if you look at some of the other post even longer for some. When it comes to the background investigation just because you have a clear record doesn't always mean a clear background. They are going to go into prior drug use, anything you have done that was illegal that just wasn't caught ect... Work History....

Cbus, they may have 3,000 applicants and send 1000 into the process with backgrounds, poly, fitness. They might have openings for 70 People. When you get to the smaller departments your going to see anywhere from 1 to a few positions open and a few hundred that apply. Ease of being hired is really a toss up. Everything is extremely difficult to get into....

Comment

Originally posted by jfortman View Post
      Congrats on your upcoming graduation first off. Employment, that would decide on where you want to go and what you are looking for. Every agency is going to be different, with different hiring requirements and process/length.

No violations ever expire when you are applying for law enforcement. Now are they going to be a huge deal? that really depends on what those violations are. Take Columbus, if you get to the point of a panel interview, they will ask about them. Columbus and Dayton are going to be long , lengthy several step processes to be hired. Cbus can be over a year, and if you look at some of the other post even longer for some. When it comes to the background investigation just because you have a clear record doesn't always mean a clear background. They are going to go into prior drug use, anything you have done that was illegal that just wasn't caught ect... Work History....

Cbus, they may have 3,000 applicants and send 1000 into the process with backgrounds, poly, fitness. They might have openings for 70 People. When you get to the smaller departments your going to see anywhere from 1 to a few positions open and a few hundred that apply. Ease of being hired is really a toss up. Everything is extremely difficult to get into....
      Absolutely correct and spot on, I too want to congratulate you on graduating from college, that's a great achievement so hats off to you. Like stated above it depends on what you and where to live? The biggest thing too is what do you want most? I've been cbus process for almost 1 year come this July from the point I submitted my application. 4 moving violations, I wouldn't stress it but be honest and admit to your wrong doings. It's all about accountability, integrity and did you learn from it. Good luck to you!

Comment

I'm clean on everything except my moving violations. Following too closely and speeding.
        Last edited by SoleSista; 06-18-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Also thank you on the congrats. I definitely plan on working hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2015 View Post

Absolutely correct and spot on, I too want to congratulate you on graduating from college, that's a great achievement so hats off to you. Like stated above it depends on what you and where to live? The biggest thing too is what do you want most? I've been cbus process for almost 1 year come this July from the point I submitted my application. 4 moving violations, I wouldn't stress it but be honest and admit to your wrong doings. It's all about accountability, integrity and did you learn from it. Good luck to you!
            Wow. So what step are you at now? And thank you. i definitely plan on being honest, upfront and admitting my mistakes and moving on from them. i'm glad to know that my moving violations aren't something I should stress about. I live near grove city, so I'm going for any PD that is hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by SoleSista View Post

Wow. So what step are you at now? And thank you. i definitely plan on being honest, upfront and admitting my mistakes and moving on from them. i'm glad to know that my moving violations aren't something I should stress about. I live near grove city, so I'm going for any PD that is hiring.
              I just recently completed oral boards so I am waiting to see if I get to continue on or if I got cut. It's a nail biter for sure, and check the nationaltestingnetwork.com website, make an account and see what LE jobs are still open and available to apply too. It does cost money to apply to the departments and take the test so when you find departments of interest you select all the departments you want then schedule a test date through the site. Once you have tested you will almost immediately have your test scores to view online. Should any "New" departments post for hiring it will cost you $9.00 to apply to them moving forward. If you don't do so good on the test you can retake the test after 6 months but I feel they reduced it to 3 months now, I'd have to check. Majority of Ohio departments use NTN and only a hand full do it independently like CPD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8906 users online. 347 members and 8559 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X