Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral transfer to Columbus area from texas

To whom it may concern,

I have 11 years of Police service between my time in CO and TX. My wife is currently interviewing for a position in the Columbus, OH area. We are thinking of moving to the New Albany area.

My current department is 162 sworn Officers with a minimum patrol staffing of 12 per shift. Our population is 130K. We are a busy department day and night and I enjoy the high activity level and the ability to follow up on my own Investigations when possible. It has nice sections as well as lower income sections creating a diverse environment for policing.

I am interested in a similar opportunity upon a move to the Columbus area. However, I have had difficulty locating information from any departments regarding out of state lateral transfers such as lateral pay, and challenging the state test. Some guidance in this area would be much appreciated. In addition I have had difficulty locating Departments in the area that would be of similar size and activity level as my current Department. Again, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Largest is CPD then probably franklin county sheriff. There are no laterals in the Columbus area that I'm aware of. You can be hired at a later step in payngrade if not entry but most departments will start at base. You'll have to contact OPOTA to see if you're cert transfers. Expect to most likely be sent through academy again.

The only agencies im aware of that do laterals are beavercreek and maybe cincinatti.

Comment

I know some of the suburbs (Gahanna, Upper Arlington, New Albany, Dublin, Delaware, Westerville, Ohio State University Police, Hilliard to list a few) will hire you at a higher pay step but you'll still have to hit an academy to get your OPOTA certificate. I don't know if Columbus Police hires at a higher rate but if you do hire on with CPD you'll have to attend their academy (29+ weeks paid)

Comment

^ Not only will you attend the academy but the hiring process is going to be long... Worth it if you are able to go through the process though. For Columbus pd.

Comment

Originally posted by AdidasCU View Post
          To whom it may concern,

I have 11 years of Police service between my time in CO and TX. My wife is currently interviewing for a position in the Columbus, OH area. We are thinking of moving to the New Albany area.

My current department is 162 sworn Officers with a minimum patrol staffing of 12 per shift. Our population is 130K. We are a busy department day and night and I enjoy the high activity level and the ability to follow up on my own Investigations when possible. It has nice sections as well as lower income sections creating a diverse environment for policing.

I am interested in a similar opportunity upon a move to the Columbus area. However, I have had difficulty locating information from any departments regarding out of state lateral transfers such as lateral pay, and challenging the state test. Some guidance in this area would be much appreciated. In addition I have had difficulty locating Departments in the area that would be of similar size and activity level as my current Department. Again, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
          Did you go through with moving to OH? If so, what was the verdict on the out of state certification transfer?
          Movingondown, Esq.

Comment

Originally posted by Movingondown View Post

Did you go through with moving to OH? If so, what was the verdict on the out of state certification transfer?
            Yes I live in Columbus. Unfortunately all Departments here work 8 hour shifts. The pay and steps are fast and good with some maxing out near 90K. I'm finally starting the process with several departments. We may not have moved here had I know all work 8's Dang near a deal breaker. As for Certification. I called and spoke with OPATA. They said that I need to get hired with a Department that will sponsor me. Then they will need ALL of my training history including names of classes and hours (even academy classes) So they can accurately approve a shortened Police Academy here. Hopefully I can find a PD or SO that will help me with that.

Comment

What's the deal with working 8s? Is there some benefit to working 12s vs 8s? What's your opinion on the matter?

Comment

here was my schedule in TX on 12's. Work Mon Tues. Off Wed Thurs. Work Fri Sat Sun. Off Mon Tues. Work Wed Thursday Off Fri Sat Sun.

SO everyone gets every other weekend off. A THREE day weekend... FAIR TO ALL Officers. Work 7 out of 14 days. Schedule your Vacation strategically and you can take a full 7 days for just 24 hours of Vacation time. Plus you can actually do work during your shift.

8's: IMO stink cause you can't get much done between loading up / briefing to start the shift, unloading after shift, and lunch. Then with 8's and no seniority, you get 2 crappy weekdays off as your "weekend" for years on end until you get enough seniority. work 10 out of 14 days on Graves/deep nights making it hard to adjust back to a real life schedule when you are off.

Nothing I can do about it here, so I gotta suck it up. But that is why I prefer longer shifts. IMO

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10037 users online. 452 members and 9585 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X