Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone come across a Dispatch job?

Ooops. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by BlackedOut; 03-14-2007, 10:02 PM.

I suggest you take any job that will let you work around your classes and provide you some income. Concentrate on finishing your degree, not on finding a job. In 20 plus years I have known one person who transitioned from a FT dispatcher to a FT police officer. Dispatching is a very tough job and, for most people, it is a career path, not a stepping stone. Why would I want to hire you as a dispatcher if I know you want to be a police officer? You are not going to be satisfied with your position and the dept. is going to have to go through the entire hiring and training process again when you leave, which could be at any time. Your goal is to be a police officer, my goal is to hire a long term dispatcher. Obviously, our goals are not the same, so you would not be a serious candidate for the position.

My experience, for what it is worth.

Comment

Ooops. Sorry about that.
      Last edited by BlackedOut; 03-14-2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

5 years of College? Have you considered applying outright for an officer position? No degree would mean less pay, and not the same choices for which deparment, I also know there are a bunch of departments that look at # of credit hours completed instead (though I am not familiar with OH). There are also numerous civilian postions in departments, records clerk, front desk, etc. that can be stepping stones as well, significantly less training and many have gotten brought on as officers.

Comment

Give me some more info to work with. What do you mean by you "don't have enough credits that count"? How old are you? What work experience do you have? Are you working on a BA/BS or what? Why can't you transfer your credits to Texas? How many credit hours do you have and how many do you have to go? Have you been going to school full time or part time? Does your wife have family in Texas?

Comment

Ooops. Sorry about that.
            Last edited by BlackedOut; 03-14-2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Changing majors three times and not picking up the basic Gen Ed classes has killed you, buy you already know that. It sounds like college isn't for you right now, but don't give up on it, even if it's taking part time classes ten years down the road.

From what I have seen of Texas, the cost of living is reasonable and the major cities are always hiring. The suburbs seem to hire on a fairly regular basis as well. Don't overlook the SO's. Dallas County is probably always taking aps for CO's (and a lot of SO's promote jail staff to the road).

The best thing you can do is have a stable work history with good references--doesn't matter what you do--what matters is you show up on time, do your job, don't abuse sick leave, etc. There is, what I believe, to be a widely held misperception that working in security or as a dispatcher will better you chances of getting on a dept. as a police officer. In my experience that isn't so. Try to find a job-any job-that you don't hate and can stick with for awhile. Based on finances, you may need to work a part time job as well as a full time job to pay off bills, set money aside, etc. If you don't have a LEO job by the time your wife graduates, it may financially be in your best interest to relocate to wherever she gets a job and go from there.

A lot of officers in Ohio got their foot in the door by finding a small town or township that will give them a commission in exchange for working 2-4 shifts a months for free or a nominal sum, so you might want to check into that. You should also see if the local SO has a reserve program.

Good luck.

Comment

If you are still in Columbus and you really want a dispatch job check out OSU Police. But I agree with Just_Joe hit the small towns, sheriff's Office and reserve/auxillary positions. Even the Watershed and State parks have police officers.

Do you have your Certification? Most departments will require a basic police certification. You either get that through a private academy, college or through a department thats willing to send you.

Financially are you actually able to move? (No need to answer just think about.) If you get your certification and then decide to move there are only a few states that will actually acept another states Police certification without experience. Most states will require their own training or at least a refresher course.

Look for jobs (state, county or fed.) that will recover your college loans for you. I worked for County children's service (abuse investigator) and they claimed that there are certain federal loans that they could take care of (wasn't either of mine though).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10727 users online. 497 members and 10230 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X