300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple questions

I'm 20 years old and i want to become a osp officer. i filled out an application in september, and they told me i wasn't old enough yet. my recruiter told me i should start training myself for the academy. can anyone tell me what type of training i should do? i also need to know if anyone knows anything about tattoo rules?
    Last edited by pride324; 01-07-2007, 08:06 PM.

Learn the O.R.C. (Ohio Revised Code)!

Comment

o.r.c. info?

how do i find the o.r.c. to find out my information?

Comment

Run, Push ups, Run, Sit ups and then run more. They will teach you the ORC but you should make sure you're in top physical shape or else you will have trouble making it through

Good luck
        If your not first, your last!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aross326
          Run, Push ups, Run, Sit ups and then run more. They will teach you the ORC but you should make sure you're in top physical shape or else you will have trouble making it through

Good luck
          You can locate the ORC online here http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing...-h.htm&cp=PORC

I agree with the physical stuff as well but the certification test will be ORC so it's good to get a head start on learning it.

Comment

Should i join a gym and hit the weights, or just hit the basic runnig, push-ups, and sit-ups really hard? by run do you mean full speed? or a steady pace? Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Run at a steady pace until you can easily run at least 5 miles at a time.

As for tattoos according to our policy ones deemed offensive can't be visible while in uniform, including a short sleeve shirt.

Comment

Do I have to know all the titles, constitutions, ordinances, rules, & articles?
                sorry about so many questions, this is a better way to find out important information. I don't know how much information I would get if I went to a post. Is there any specific diets or nutrition plans you guys keep yourselves on?

Comment

Well I think you should have a good understanding of the constitution regardelss of profession but you don't need to know any of the laws. You will spend many, many mind numbing hours learning the laws while in the academy. Then you'll learn how to actually use them during your 3 month FTO period.

Just worry about the physical preperation. You'll have 29 weeks to learn everything they want you to know.

Comment

Are saying the constitution of Ohio, all articles? I just want to get everything straightened out, and know that I'm studying exactly what I need to know. Thankyou for your help you have given me so far; I'm sure your information will help me out alot.

Comment

I was talking about the U.S. Constitution. Every citizen should have a basic understanding of it. You don't need to go out and memorize either constitution and be able to recite them like in high school Just understand the principle and you will be taught how they apply to law enforcement. The most important being the 4th amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The reason you don't really need to learn the laws (on your own) is because you will read hundreds of pages but you will use relatively few on a day to day basis, especially as a Trooper. You will need to know traffic, OVI, and drug laws for the most part.

Comment

I can't swim, is that going to be a large problem at the academy? How many times a week do you think I should do my P.T.? Thanks again sir.
                        Last edited by pride324; 01-10-2007, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pride324
                          I can't swim, is that going to be a large problem
                          You better learn, they make you wear little pink arm floaties if you can't!

(or a life jacket, can't remember)

You can never be in too good of shape. On the other hand if you aren't in good enough shape your miserable academy experience will be even worse.

Just train until you can comfortably run at least 5 miles. You don't want to be the guy that passes out on a long run. It comes easier to some so I don't know how much you need to run but I'd say at least 3 times a week. Make sure you can do a lot of pushups and situps also. At least 40 or so a minute.

Comment

Well, I can swim with a life jacket; wether it's pink, yellow, or purple I don't care. As long as I don't drowned at the academy or fail out because I can't swim I'll be good. Thanks for answering all my questions, I'm sure it'll help out alot. I'll hit the P.T. really hard. If I have any more questions I'll contact you. Thanks again sir.

Comment

They will teach you everything you need to know. It's a very long process so you have a long ways to go. i might add a friend i went to high school with started the process when she was twenty and when she turned 21 she went to the academy. i am a lil puzzled on that. but she is now 22 and a veteran of 4 months at her post. i'm glad i stayed local at our SO, you can see the people you went to school with at jail.
                              " The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9242 users online. 428 members and 8814 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X