300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPOTA Fitness Requirements Change?

While talking with my partner last night, he had mentioned that he was told that Ohio had changed the exit requirements for physical fitness for OPOTA. Does anybody have any knowledge of this? If so, do you know what they have changed them to? I'm hoping for the good of recruitment that they have made them a litlle easier.

Here is a link for an academy still listing the 11:58 1.5 mile for males 29 and under.

http://www.mtc.edu/Academic/cj_peace_off.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jr324
      While talking with my partner last night, he had mentioned that he was told that Ohio had changed the exit requirements for physical fitness for OPOTA. Does anybody have any knowledge of this? If so, do you know what they have changed them to? I'm hoping for the good of recruitment that they have made them a litlle easier.
      Please....PLEASE!!!! Tell me that you're joking?
      Why didn't someone tell me the Taser felt like that...

Comment

yeah, man, a 12 minute 1.5 isn't that hard. I've been getting back into running recently, and I've been consistently running my 1.5's in 12:30. I'm sure that once I really get into my workouts, I'll be able to get that 12 easily. If you think about it, it's just 8 minute miles back to back. I agree, OPOTA shouldn't make it easier. Cops need to be in shape, just comes with the territory

Comment

Can anyone verify this or is it line of BS. how can this nasty rumor be verified or debunked......anyone.....bueller?
          " The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few"

Comment

This thread is the only place I have heard it. All the acadamies that I am aware of are still using the same standards. Call OPOTC directly and get it out of the horses mouth.

Here is a link directly from the AG website, showing the same standards.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/trainin.../50thChart.pdf
            Last edited by LPI; 11-17-2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Jr324

Those are the right stats. I am a Police Academy Commander in Ohio and last year 10 out of 12 cadets in the Fall Academy class could not achieve the minimum. I spent 25 + years as a cop and never even heard of anyone having to chase a perp more than a couple blocks. I find the run requirement way out of line and would bet that fewer than 20% of the officers on the street today could meet that standard. Most of the instructors who teach at my academy also think the required level is stupid.. 100 or 200 yard run should be required, but a mile and a half???? Come on, give me a break!!!! Don't look for them to change, either.

Chief Bill
              I MAY NOT ALWAYS PLAY FAIR, BUT I DON'T ALWAYS LOSE EITHER......

Comment

thats not far off colorado's requirements either... well.. what each agency can set them to. most use the cooper standards.. which for <29 is 12:51 for 40%. for 30-34 its like 13:21 for 40% i do believe. Being an asthmatic I have a hard time even making the 40% giving my all.. but i blew away the pushups and situps getting near 100% on each yet i was still dogged on my run I agree.. short sprints wouldn't be bad.. which i can accomplish.. but if its more than a few blocks.. i'm getting the car.

Comment

waxcop

Thanks for the informative reply Chief Bill. That's all I needed and I also whole-heartedly agree with fitness standards but I feel that ohio's is outrageous

Comment

Originally posted by jr324
                    Thanks for the informative reply Chief Bill. That's all I needed and I also whole-heartedly agree with fitness standards but I feel that ohio's is outrageous
                    You're 21 and should have no problem with these standards, if you are having problems with the standards, lay off the twinkies.

I'd like to add, obviously you will not be chasing someone for 1.5 miles, but may chase somebody for a few blocks and then have to fight them for five minutes.

The purpose of the 1.5 mile timed run is to measure the heart and vascular system's capability to transport oxygen (stamina and endurance).

Comment

I dont think it's fair to tell anyone to "lay off the twinkies". slamming others on this forum is poor taste. not everyone is a natural born athlete. that being said some people who are out of shape and want to pass that run need to put forth the effort in and out of the academy. i am one of two sponsored people in my class of 21, all others being open enrollment. i ran my mile and a half in 17 minutes to start and i'm down to under 12.30 now. i agree LEO's should be in shape. i also think that OPOTA's fitness requirement is very strict compared to other states. i'm 6'3, 245 and running does not come easy for me. but like in the military you have to suck it up and press on. i know people who can run the time in 10 something, but dont know thier *** from a hole in the ground. should the times change? i think OPOTA should look at how many have not passed the run just as the chief had said, this is something that needs addressed.
                      " The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few"

Comment

Originally posted by wpipes
                        I dont think it's fair to tell anyone to "lay off the twinkies". slamming others on this forum is poor taste. not everyone is a natural born athlete. that being said some people who are out of shape and want to pass that run need to put forth the effort in and out of the academy. i am one of two sponsored people in my class of 21, all others being open enrollment. i ran my mile and a half in 17 minutes to start and i'm down to under 12.30 now. i agree LEO's should be in shape. i also think that OPOTA's fitness requirement is very strict compared to other states. i'm 6'3, 245 and running does not come easy for me. but like in the military you have to suck it up and press on. i know people who can run the time in 10 something, but dont know thier *** from a hole in the ground. should the times change? i think OPOTA should look at how many have not passed the run just as the chief had said, this is something that needs addressed.
                        LOL, being able to run a 12 min. 1.5 mile is certainly not a "natural born athlete". But I will concede that the requirement is a little stringent, a 12:51 1.5 mile, as other states have, may be more appropriate.

As far as your statement that OPOTA needs to look at how many have not passed the run, there certainly is no shortage of applicants coming out of the acadamies now is there?

The "lay off the twinkies" statement may have been harsh, but it is true. Instead of complaining about the standards, lose the weight and train. Problem solved!

Comment

I'm sorry but you're going to get no sympathy from me if you can't meet the OPOTA requirements. They're not harsh, they're ridiclously easy.

Like LPI said, you may not have to chase someone for 1.5 miles but if you're gassed after about 300-400 yards, THEN you gotta fight someone, more than likely you're going to get your *** kicked.......or worse you'll get mine kicked.

I'm 44 years old and run about a 8:52 mile and a half. I'm not a "natural" athlete or gifted. I work hard at my fitness.

You have two choices: Meet the standard. Or don't.
                          Why didn't someone tell me the Taser felt like that...

Comment

Hi folks

FWIW, fitness is an avocation of mine. For a lot of reasons, not the least of which is I help run a karate/jujutsu program out of a health club in Akron.

I've learned much about getting/staying in shape. I'm interested in sharing it with people who need it so they avoid any of the problems (injuries) I've had.

PM me if you think I can help. I'm also going to be reading/posting on this site's Fitness forum.
                            Mark
                            Shaw JCC Karate Program website
                            Shaw JCC Karate Program on myspace

Comment

I just want to comment on this thread, because I feel compelled to weigh in on this issue. I am an active duty Marine and physical fitness is a very important apspect of our job. Much like the military, police departments also require a physical fitness standard. I urge you to not take take physical fitness lightly because your life may depend on your level of fitness one day. I have two combat tours in Iraq, I strongly feel that my Marines and I made it out of some hairy situations because of our conditioning and I am sure that some members of this forum can back me up on this. Physical fitness is one of the most important factors in your quest to becoming a law enforcement officer, hence the physical training regime in the police academey. We have a saying in the military, sweat in a peace time environment so that you don't have to bleed in war. Train now and train hard. Your life may very well depend on that 1.5 run one day!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6270 users online. 277 members and 5993 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X