300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus PD

What can anyone tell me about the Columbus PD and the city of Columbus? Is it a good PD and a good city to live in? I'm a deputy sheriff in Indianapolis and I'm looking at applying for the next exam, so I'm just wanting to know if it's a good place to switch to.

I'm not CPD but I can comment on the city. Just like any other big city there are the crappy parts of town that are depressing just to drive through and there are parts of town with mansions lining the streets. I would suggest living in one of the nicer suburbs like Dublin, Westerville, and New Albany. They are all about 20 minutes from downtown and all have their own developments of shopping and entertainment with anything you could think to do. All of the CPD guys and gals I've talked to have been very nice and professional plus they just got a brand new academy if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Columbus is a nice city but, as was said, depends on where you live. Losts of suburbs (and inner burbs, like Bexley) to live in, most of which are really nice. One thing to know is that Columbus and the surrounding areas have a lot of young people (in the 20s and 30s) and the area is growing pretty quick. CPD is a good agency with a lot of opportunity to move up and specialize (such SRT or becoming a pilot on one of their numerous helicopters). They also require all of their officers to go through the CPD academy.

Comment

Southboy said it. I like their PD. Got accepted their before I took this job. If I was going to work for a big dept Columbus would be my first choice. Nice city. Lots of money in C-bus.
        "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

They are just getting ready to accept more applications for a test, I think I just might apply.

Comment

Cpd

Police Officer Application filing period September 18th - October 6th log onto www.columbuspolice.org. We are hiring a bunch of new guys. CPD is a great department. Good Luck

Comment

I know that CPD is still going off of their 2005 list for a Dec '06 class... I got my test date for the recent round and
              noticed that there are only 5 dates, as opposed to the normal 15-20 days of testing. I thought there'd be more
              applicants, especially with the new TV ads this year. Does anybody know what happnened... I'm kicking
              myself for not going through with the process last year...

Comment

Originally posted by southboy
                ...or becoming a pilot on one of their numerous helicopters...
                I believe Columbus PD has at least eight helicopters...possibly more!
                "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

CPD has 4 helicopters right now. One was sold recently and one is down due to engine failure/hard landing.
                  Nowadays you almost have to have at least a private helicopter rating and officers MUST have at LEAST 3 years on the street before even applying for helicopters. So for anyone that wants to get on a department just to fly...probably not the best move.
                  Be safe,
                  Cpdrotorhd

Comment

I work for a PD just south of Columbus. My uncle was one of CPD's first helo pilots. Can we still ride with the bird off duty? If so, who do we contact?
                    South Bloomfield Police Department
                    K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

K9 Gunner,
                      Sorry it took so long to reply, you have to contact the helicopter Lt. to see about ride alongs, just call our regular number and have them transfer you to the heliport.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7042 users online. 356 members and 6686 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X