300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Peace Officer Academy - Columbus

Has anyone been through the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy in Columbus recently? I'll be going through the Basic Peace Officer Academy (18 week course) that is run by the Highway Patrol next month and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on what to expect!
    Reno 911 - Season 1:

Garcia: "Oh God.. call for help!"
    Wiegel: "Help! Help!"
    Garcia: "Use your goddamn radio!"

Wish I could help... and wish someone would answer your questions because I might be going there, too!

Sherri

Comment

You can expect a military environment. You can expect a lot of yelling. You can expect to say "sir" and "ma'am" a lot. Then you can expect the rest of the time to be filled with class and typing. Now for tips... Be in great shape. You probably think you are but you're probably not. (obviously nothing against you but the majority of people are shocked that PT kicks their butt for the first few weeks) Learn to eat fast. Hope that helps!

P.S. whatever you go through absolutely no whining because the Troopers (Cadets) have it 100% worse
      Last edited by Bushum; 07-27-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

hello

I am attending one coming up and it is the same academy as the one the Buffalo police uses and is 120 hrs. You basically are buffalo police but dont get paid for it. Well thats how it is out here

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Tfsgroi.. yeah luckily I'm getting paid my full salary by my department to go through the academy.. so it'll be like going to class and getting paid for it! I guess that, and having several free personal trainers that tend to yell at you a lot. Haha. Hey, I can fantasize about it right?

Yes, Bushum.. I've been trying to get into the best shape possible in the month I have left before I go. I've heard stories about the PT down there. Whenever I talk with someone who went through the Peace Officer training they all say the SAME exact phrase... "Hope you like running!" *sigh* Haha. I've also heard horror stories about it.. my cousin (who was a Marine) went through it for a department in Northeastern Ohio, and he commented to me that it was "worse than Marine bootcamp". However, I think he was just trying to get to me! At least I hope he was. Haha.

I'm just wondering if they are going to send an information packet of what/what not to bring down? I received a small booklet with the items that are required (uniform, service weapon, etc) but it didn't cover many other things such as a laptop. I've heard you type out all of your notes, but I don't know if they provide a computer lab to get a head start on that during the week or if we can bring our own laptops down.. or if they make you wait until you go home on the weekends to accomplish that. (Which may be difficult.. because I'll probably be comatose for the whole weekend I'm home ) Haha.

Oh, and trust me. There will be no whining here. I was getting bored with my life and was ready for a new challenge, and by God, I have one in front of me now! Haha. And after reading about/hearing what you troopers go through to get trained.. I definately have respect for you guys!
          Reno 911 - Season 1:

Comment

Originally posted by Bushum
            You can expect a military environment. You can expect a lot of yelling. You can expect to say "sir" and "ma'am" a lot. Then you can expect the rest of the time to be filled with class and typing. Now for tips... Be in great shape. You probably think you are but you're probably not. (obviously nothing against you but the majority of people are shocked that PT kicks their butt for the first few weeks) Learn to eat fast. Hope that helps!

P.S. whatever you go through absolutely no whining because the Troopers (Cadets) have it 100% worse
            +1 on the above. However, I thought the basic course was 13 weeks?

My Cadet training was 27 weeks (24 weeks + 3 weeks extended for the State Fair we are required to work in).

I'd say we Troops had it about 50% worse because they (kinda) want you guys to make it back to your departments. With us, they want to separate the "Chaff" from the "Wheat" early on. However, the yelling (and punshments) are exactly the same.

I'd say start running about 3 miles right now. The rest will come while there. Don't overdo working out and hurt yourself before you even get there.

About the lap top, they just put in two laptops in all the bedrooms. I'd say you wont have to bring yours.

PS. The first Cadet that quit my class was a former Marine. He said, "I ain't going through this sh*t again" and left the FIRST day!!
            Last edited by RuthlessOne; 07-28-2006, 08:20 PM.
            http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/

Comment

"PS. The first Cadet that quit my class was a former Marine. He said, "I ain't going through this sh*t again" and left the FIRST day!!"

Haha.. I love it.

Thanks for the response Ruthless.. good to know about the laptops. I don't know why, but my training this fall is going to be 18 weeks (Aug 28th-Dec 29th). According to the website, the classes are either 17 or 18 weeks, or 640 hours... and according to the book I received about the academy, they added 24 hours of "human diversity" training and also extra hours of "driving, health and wellness, investigative techniques, field trips, etc." So who knows.
              Reno 911 - Season 1:

Comment

Do Pt Until It Hurts

I Lose Over One Half Of My Academy Students To The Pt Standards... Start Running Today, And Run A Mile Every Other Day Until You Finish The Academy....i Am Not Kidding....sit Ups And Push Ups Improve Soon But The Run Takes Time...good Luck And Let Me Know Where You Are Going To Be An Officer At...

Chief Bill
                I MAY NOT ALWAYS PLAY FAIR, BUT I DON'T ALWAYS LOSE EITHER......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5382 users online. 282 members and 5100 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X