300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ohio the place to be?

I was recently in the hiring process for Cincinnati and Dayton PD, here in Ohio. Until, thank the good lord, I was hired by another agency. Most of the large departments here are having real issues with morale, funding, staffing, etc. Many of the same problems that most departments have, but because of the larger size it is magnified.

It's like anything else in life, it's all what you make of it. Research the agencies by contacting them and if you get a chance, visit and do a ride along. You'll get different opinions from different officers so take them with a grain of salt.

Analyze what you really want in law enforcement. After gaining some experience in LE I realize that my desires and goals are totally different now than when I first entered the field. Your views of what you think you want may be skewed too.

Good luck and happy hunting!

I don't think Ohio is the place to be. Finding a job here is becoming such a hassle, that I'm looking at moving to Texas or Arizona for work. The Phoenix AZ Dept. has such an easy way of processing out of state apps, it's very attractive to me. They put through a class of 20 every month, whereas here, you'd be lucky to find one class a year. I've applied to several agencies here in and around Columbus, and it's just such a long process, you may be better off looking elsewhere.

Comment

Is ohio the place to be?

Do you guys have any insight on Akron PD, Cincinnati PD, Cleveland PD or Columbus PD?

Any tips would be helpful. I have a year left until I graduate with a bacholors in criminal justice / law enforcement and am starting to look at department in the midwest to apply with.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Going_Loud
        Do you guys have any insight on Akron PD, Cincinnati PD, Cleveland PD or Columbus PD?

Any tips would be helpful. I have a year left until I graduate with a bacholors in criminal justice / law enforcement and am starting to look at department in the midwest to apply with.

Thanks guys.

Akron PD - Currently running a test. Applications are not being accepted anymore. Last test:2001

Cincinnati PD - Tests were give in March and April I believe.

Cleveland - Currently recruiting. Was told they plan to run a test in Sept or Oct. Surprising since the did a ton of layoffs a while back. (250)

Columbus - I don't have any info.

Comment

Do any of those city have requirements making the officers live in the city?

Comment

Something odd is happening to my posts. Going_Loud was the originator of this thread and his post is #3. My post was like the 2nd or 3rd and it's #1 now. What's the deal???

Comment

Do any of those city have requirements making the officers live in the city?
              I took the test but I don't know much about Cincinnati.

Cleveland and Akron both require their officers to live inside city limits when appointed as a police officer.

Comment

Cincinnati Police Officer here...for a few more days anyway. I am resigning from CPD since Delta Airlines just recalled me from pilot furlough. Anyway, with CPD you are required to live within the county (Hamilton) but you are not required to live within the city. Good department to work for, everybody backs everybody up, tight knit group. I really enjoyed working at CPD.
                "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Ohio Jobs

I Am Starting To See Some Job Openings In Ohio....few And Far Between But Keep Away From Big Cities (columbus, Cleveland, Cinci, Etc.) .. Too Much Political Bs... Cinci Is Notorious For Indicting Cops For In The Line Of Duty Use Of Force.... Look To Suburbs And Do Research Before You Jump In.... Just A Word To The Wise From An Old Retired Cop...

Chief Bill
                  I MAY NOT ALWAYS PLAY FAIR, BUT I DON'T ALWAYS LOSE EITHER......

Comment

for dayton you have to live in the city

Comment

The problem with Ohio (more specifially, Central Ohio) is, there is such a large pool of applicants who have already put themselves through an academy and there are so few jobs, it makes it rough to get a job about anywhere around here. Columbus might be hiring, but you're looking at a year at least before you get into an academy. If you're already certified, why would you want to go back through? I'd only go back through for OSP.
                      -Stay safe

Comment

Ohio is definitely not the place to be. But, some of us dont have the luxury of escaping. Like others have already stated, there are 1000 applicants per position. If you get an opportunity to get on with an out-of-state department, do it. You may spend the rest of your life trying to find a job around here.

Comment

Columbus PD

I was a cop in N.J. before getting on with Columbus PD. The process was long but well worth it (about 1 1/2) Coming from a liberal law enforcement state like Jersey to a place like Ohio is great. CPD is a great police agency. You can do anything like patrol, street crimes (SRB), homicide, helicopters, freeway patrol, etc... The guys on the street are great and whatever your looking for in police work can be found in one of the 19 precincts. Anything from dope and guns in the inner city ghettos, to speeding tickets and helping old ladies cross the street in the more suburban areas of the city (if thats your thing) Going through another police academy kind of sucked but also well worth it. After seeing some fo the recruits who went through the 10 week OPOTA academies I can see why CPD makes you go through theres. Not sure that your going to find a more squared away and active PD around.

Comment

for semper fi guy

i work for a NW suburb of columbus and it aint dublin. I have nothing but good to say about all the CPD guys I have come across. I love having the ability to call the chopper when needed. Stay safe.

Comment

Must be a Hilliard guy. Can smell those Hilliard guys a mile off, ya know..........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10203 users online. 451 members and 9752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X