Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to get into the OSHP?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to get into the OSHP?

Hello everyone,

Just how difficult is it to get accepted into the Ohio State Highway Patrol? I am curious as to how many people apply versus how many are actually allowed to join.

I am a Ohio resident and currently a college sophomore studying biology (as a back-up plan). After I graduate I am considering either joining the OSHP or working as a park conservation officer.

Thanks for any replies.

You should check out their website. They have extremely strict hiring standards. The good news is that they run at least one or two classes of recruits every year. You can contact the recruiting office at their website by e-mail or phone. They are a very respected agency in Ohio, and they will give you all the answers you want.

Comment

Send me a PM with any questions you have and I will try to help

Comment

i recently gradutaed from the oshp academy. the process was long, about a year and a half and numerous trips to columbus and vrious other cities in ohio. the website does carry all the information you will need. if you need more info let me know.

Comment

just curious as to what everyone got on their written. i thought i did pretty well (it was my first test) i got a 91 overall. i do not get the military bonus, so that's my final number. what did the others get on theirs? just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by drewsy64
            just curious as to what everyone got on their written. i thought i did pretty well (it was my first test) i got a 91 overall. i do not get the military bonus, so that's my final number. what did the others get on theirs? just curious.

97 overall
            100 on two sections
            No military

Comment

Their pay isn't the best and many start with OSHP and then move on. Highly respected but they are structly a traffic enforcment agency no police authority as do Sheriff and Police. Limited commission authority.

Comment

A good friend of mine is a Trooper with the OSHP and he loves his job. From what I've witnessed and what he's talked about, the OSHP are more gung-ho than most regular police agencies. They're also fanatical about height/weight restrictions (which seems to be the hardest part of the application process for most people) and have some of the best training in the state (which takes, I think, 26 weeks of live-in training at their academy in Columbus). But as was said, they are mainly traffic duty except for executive protection for the governor and protecting certain state buildings. They also respond to riots and prison incidents if the governor orders them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  Their pay isn't the best and many start with OSHP and then move on. Highly respected but they are structly a traffic enforcment agency no police authority as do Sheriff and Police. Limited commission authority.
                  That's not all accurate. (I saw this a couple of weeks ago and should have posted, sorry.)

I'm a Trooper with about 13 years. I made 60K last year with very little overtime. We have the same arrest powers (Police Powers) as everyone else on all State Property, State Parks, State Buildings, State Routes, US Routes, Interstates, etc.

Our powers become more traffic limited on City Streets and County Roads. This only means I can only stop for traffic violations on City Streets. But once stopped, I can enforce anything I see or find just like anyone else. Ex: Meth lab in the trunk, ski masks in the car from the bank robbery they just committed. Pretty much what any other officer does upon making a traffic stop does.

Where he is correct is on private property, where I have no police jurisdication, sort of. I can make any Felony arrest just like any other citizen. However, I can't normally make "Misdemeanor" arrests on private property under most situations. Ex: You are smoking a joint on your porch and I walk up to asking about the crash you didnt stop for. I could ticket for the crash but not the Marijuana. However, I could hold you (and your joint) until the PD got there.

Furthermore, If you take the traffic stop to your house and run in...I can do anything. Ex: a drunk stopping in his driveway and running inside. That, I can enforce (and drag his arse to jail for it).

There's also special law that allows me to have the same powers as a City Officer if I see an officer in trouble OR if that agency requests our assistance. Ex: Respond to the Domestic in progress in a residence until our Deputy arrives from the other side of the county. I can make any arrests and enforce any city codes which that city or county agency uses as well.

Moreover, There's another law that only Troopers can use that no other agency in Ohio can, which deals with Motor Vehicle Inspections (MVI). I can stop any vehicle I want to for no other reason than that inspection. If they are drunk, DUS, not wearing their Safety Belt (I never EVER do belts), see Cocaine they were just snorting on their lap, etc..I can enforce that too. I've had pursuits that started from nothing other than a MVI inspection.

In 13 years, I've only seen 4 Troopers "move on" and that was to go to the FBI and US Marshalls. Wouldnt we all if we could?

FBI notwithstanding, Why would anyone go through 6 months of hell in our academy then transfer out? That's like saying, I joined the Army to help me get into the Air Force. (BTW, I am prior Air Force) Our academy is like Army basic and college rolled in one. Any officers here that went through it for 13 weeks of Police Basic course would agree.

I dont know what he means by Limited commission authority. Limited to what? If you are commissioned to be an officer, you ARE an officer. How is that limited?

There's an agency near me that are commissed as Police/Firemen/EMT's all at the same time and work 36 hour shifts. I guess unless you work for them, the rest of us are ALL limited commission authority.

Originally posted by southboy
                  ...They're also fanatical about height/weight restrictions (which seems to be the hardest part of the application process for most people) and have some of the best training in the state (which takes, I think, 26 weeks of live-in training at their academy in Columbus)....
                  Yeah, he's right about that. My biggest career dissappointment was losing my physical fitness award when I went about 3 points too high in body fat. I'm 6'3" 210 before you ask. I'm a cow, LOL.

I hope this answers your questions. It took me about 1 year to get in. I've seen others take 2 to 4 years on average. Don't give up if this is what you want. Find a Trooper and talk to him/her directly. It couldn't hurt. Good luck.
                  Last edited by RuthlessOne; 01-31-2006, 06:56 PM.
                  http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/

Comment

This is kind of a stupid question but what about OSHP Reserve Unit. Do they go through the same training down in Columbus and is the hiring process as long as full-time Trooper positions?

Comment

Do you mean our State Highway Patrol Police Officers or Highway Patrol Auxillary Officer?

SHP Police Officers patrol state property and buildings generally around Columbus. They have full police powers but do not patrol the highways. They drive patrol cars and, I believe, can take those cars home, given seniority. Their uniform is similar to Troopers but wear Deputy style stetsons and a slightly different shoulder patch. They make about $2-3 dollars less pay an hour and go through the 13 week Police Basic course.

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/abou...rolOfficer.htm

Auxiliary Officers are trained locally at the Posts were they live. They are voluntary officers and have no powers (that I know of). They must wear vests and qualify with shotguns, similar to Trooper's training. They can ride with Troopers as much as they desire to but must ride at least once a quarter. It isnt very difficult to become an Auxiliary, backround checks, etc. Most Auxiliaries are people who always wanted to be cops but took a different career route. In my division, only Auxiliaries can ride with us. Regular citizens and even off-duty officers from other departments can not.

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQsrecruit.htm

How do I become an Ohio State Highway Patrol Auxiliary Officer?

Interested individuals should contact their nearest Patrol post to begin the Auxiliary application process.
                      I hope this helped you.
                      Last edited by RuthlessOne; 02-01-2006, 08:59 AM.
                      http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/

Comment

Thanks, I've always just been curious about how the Highway Patrol Auxiliary worked.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has posted, you and also a local recruiter answered all my questions.

Comment

OSHP Wants To Be a State Police Unit So Bad they can Taste It.
                            Not a bad idea since every state around OHIO State Police Not a State Highway Patrol.

Limited powesr as stated and 60K isnit bad for guys who chase tail lights for a career and do almost all traffic. Real Gung Ho and amost of my friends that are troopers are a great bunch.

Comment

Alright, so let me tag onto this thread with a similar question. How good of a score are people getting into the academy with? My recruiter said for every class, 500 applicants becomes 50 recruits becomes 30-40 troopers. How many points is the military bonus?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5318 users online. 374 members and 4944 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X