300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati Private Police Association

Hey, guys. Does anyone have any information on the Cincinnati Private Police? Their website gives a little info, but I have never really heard much about them.

I understand that they have full police powers and assist the Cincinnati Police with certain events, but I can't find any information as to the number of personnel on the force, exactly what they are doing now, etc.

Anyone know?
    The Once and Future, Sgt. Love...

I work for a suburb of Cincinnati. To my understanding they are no different than any "private security" company. They have limited arrest powers, etc.

They are NOT police officers. I know that they used to work details at the Gardens during different events, etc..

I do know that they carry firearms and are certified in all the equipment they carry on their belts.

hopes this help!

Stay Safe!
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Yes, that does help a bit. Thank you!

Comment

What is their website? That sounds wierd? Private police security?
        South Bloomfield Police Department
        K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

http://www.micheo.com/lc/cppa/page1.htm

It's not an up to date high tech website, to be sure. But at least they have some sort of a web presence.

I was a bit more impressed by Elite Protective Services, another local Private Police force. I saw one of their officers at a local supply store, and was quite impressed. He carried himself very well.

http://www.eliteproservice.com/default.asp

Comment

If you are interested in talking to them, call 513-241-COPS. That is the number they have on their vehicles. They are OPOTA certified and have arrest powers, but their roles and functions in our city are grey at best. They are stealing all of our details because they work a little cheaper than us though, we have noticed that. Yet when something happens on their detail, a beat car has to go do the police work! ....... and I digress.
            "Any comments from the above user reflect only the opinions of him, and not that of any police department....namely mine!!!!"

Blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnell being fat

Comment

They are OPOTA certfied as SECURITY GUARDS. They are not the police and in my opinion should not be allowed to use the word POLICE in their name.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                They are OPOTA certfied as SECURITY GUARDS. They are not the police and in my opinion should not be allowed to use the word POLICE in their name.
                Task Force Police is a similar company in Columbus. I don't know much about them, but thier website is http://www.taskforcepolice.com/

They have a Q&A section that explains why they use police in thier name, and it gives a link to the ORC code which says that any security guard in Ohio is considered a "Private Police Officer"

Before taking the full time position with my department, I worked for The Whitestone Group out of Pickerington. Our shoulder patches said "Private Police Agent."

Most companies that call themselves "Private Police" seem to have more strict requirements and better training than the regular contract security companies. That has been my experience anyway.
                "oderint dum metuant: Let them hate us so long as they fear us." Caligula

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  Bodie:

I'm an old rent-a-cop.... Same as the Cincy guys.... I did OPOTA in 1967-68, one of the first few classes for any OH LEO's in this area. (I just missed being grandfathered out of the requirement.)

My Commission from the City of Youngstown said "Private Police Officer", and the folks in Columbus took the same view.

(Some of my classmates were "regular" Officers. One went on to be Chief in Liberty Township - north of Youngstown - a few years later. In those days the courses were the same.)

(The City pulled all the Commissions in about 1985 -some idiot shot another idiot and the liability lawyers got into the act.)

I had no problem calling myself a "Police Officer" in those days, nor did it bother anybody. However that was always in the context of my LE work - mobile patrol of specific facilities, or guard post work. If somebody asked me what I did (besides the day job), it was "Private Security" or some such. (Or rent-a-cop....)

At the time, on the average, I had more LE education than the average City PD Officer I would be working with when they had to be called. But they usually had the street time, and were "in charge" as soon as they arrived. Once in a while one didn't understand the situation, but there were few problems. (In those days the City PD guys would get an FTO and work the street for a while. That was their training. A friend of mine - now deceased - was a Sergeant. He never took an exam to get the stripes, and when he signed on, was given a badge and a gun and told to "go arrest people.")

Things have changed.... "Regular" LE now are trained way past the Security Officer requirements, and spend a lot more useful time in training. I wouldn't last five minutes up against any of them.

The agency I work with (and helped create) won't take a detail from the regular Officers unless the employer is insistent, and has been advised about the disadvantages. I never would personally, either, back when I was doing this regularly. There are details out there where having the City radio on your belt and a half-dozen ready backups is essential, and I wouldn't want to work them in any case. Others are inconsequential, or downright boring. Those we'll fight for.... In the 35+ years I've been involved, there's always been plenty of work for everybody, and plenty of competition.

(In my "Security" hat at the former day job, I had to hire the competition for a building watch because "my" outfit didn't have anybody available at the time.)

(It's not that we want to avoid the dangerous jobs as much as we prefer to defer to those who are better trained to handle them.)

Some private agencies have requirements that are extremely rigid, and others will take anybody who's breathing. I was once offered Lieutenant's bars by another agency in town sight unseen on the recommendation of one of their low-level employees. I'm not naming names.... Another local agency hired a family member and his daughter. They don't carry weapons. You have no idea how happy I am about that part....

Unfortunately, the public (and working LEO's) have to identify the good and bad on the spot, or by the reputation of their agencies. The State's standards for armed Security are quite high, but don't really apply to unarmed SO's. Private Property also permits armed security without much constraint if the employer's liability folks don't get wind of it....

(BTW, a few years before Youngstown pulled their Commissions, all Private Security folks thus Commissioned were required to identify themselves as "Private Police" if they didn't have an agency behind them.)

My "job", back when I was on the road, was to be an extra set of eyes - to look for problems at places I was paid to drive over to and check. To be an early responder and agent of the owners in the event the "regular" PD found a problem or an alarm tripped. To secure the scene before the PD got there if I found something of interest. (I.e., keep the possible crime scene from being contaminated.) To watch the vehicles when the regulars got there.... I know how to lift a print, compare weapons ballistics, etc., but nobody in their right mind would put me on the stand. Eyes & ears, protect the scene....

Bodie - I'm not trying to impersonate or impress anybody. That can bite.... A different name might be helpful here, but the public probably doesn't understand, and to be honest, SO's don't always get the respect they need to do their job as it is. (I've been lobbying for "Special Agent", but I think it's taken.... WTH, mom thinks I'm special....)

"You" and "I" have to understand who, what, and where we are, and try to keep the SO ranks clean so the public sees a somewhat uniform "blue line". I had a gal get mad at me for not jumping into a bar fight one night. I was driving a green Rambler with a "Security" sign on the side, and wearing a brown "Security" uniform. If the badge had said "Chicken Inspector" she'd still have been upset.... (I did have a car phone - our dispatcher had already gone to bed, so I called the City PD for her....)

Regards,
                  Last edited by SMMAssociates; 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM.
                  Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

Comment

I have mixed feelings on the issue of the use of "private police"......but for the most part must agree with Bodie.
                    I work in both realms public and private.....after 19 yrs as cop...there are huge differences in the jobs and in most cases the caliber of persons doing those jobs....based on education and training, among other things.
                    Last edited by OhioNarc; 10-24-2005, 01:17 PM. Reason: error
                    The Big O

OhioNarc
                    Northeast Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of the agency.

Comment

Well from what the Web Site says by Law they are Private Police Officers. It says they have Full Powers. But yet someone says in my book they are not a police officer. As for the statement about them taking to much details and stuff away from regular Cincinnati Police Officers, I guess you did not see where one of YOUR OWN Cincinnati Police FOP Lodge President said he stands with the Cincinnati Private Police he stated that they do good work and said they take presure of the Cincinnati PD Beat guys. And im sorry but I will go with what the Cincinnati Police Union leader says as he probably has way more training & experience than you do. Also if more idiots claim they do not have powers thsan i suggest you read the bottom and than read the laws that say they have powers. Last time i checked you are not the one who writes the law. And you are not the law.

The Cincinnati Private Police was established in 1914 as the Private Police Association Company. In its' beginning, we were formed to assist the Cincinnati Police Division with alternative manpower needs. Even today, the Cincinnati Private Police is the only private organization with fully empowered Private Police Officers. In Cincinnati, per Municipal Code #887, private police officers have the same powers as city police officers while enforcing criminal laws and ordinances. Cincinnati, Ohio to our knowledge is the only city that still has private police officers with full powers. In Cincinnati, the link between public law enforcement and private police is a strong one. There MUST be a good working relationship between the two sectors. Communications between the two sectors is extremely important. The City of Cincinnati Private Police Squad and the Cincinnati Private Police are in constant communications with one another informing each other of pertinent information. This creates a harmonious working relationship when both sectors are assigned to the same details.

Comment

Originally posted by S/O245
                        Well from what the Web Site says by Law they are Private Police Officers. It says they have Full Powers. But yet someone says in my book they are not a police officer. As for the statement about them taking to much details and stuff away from regular Cincinnati Police Officers, I guess you did not see where one of YOUR OWN Cincinnati Police FOP Lodge President said he stands with the Cincinnati Private Police he stated that they do good work and said they take presure of the Cincinnati PD Beat guys. And im sorry but I will go with what the Cincinnati Police Union leader says as he probably has way more training & experience than you do. Also if more idiots claim they do not have powers thsan i suggest you read the bottom and than read the laws that say they have powers. Last time i checked you are not the one who writes the law. And you are not the law.

.....disregard. I removed what I typed - I see you don't belong to the CPP organization. Loose the assumptions, and you will see so much more in life young one.
                        Last edited by CinciCobra; 12-31-2005, 08:50 AM.
                        "Any comments from the above user reflect only the opinions of him, and not that of any police department....namely mine!!!!"

Blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnell being fat

Comment

Originally posted by S/O245
                          Even today, the Cincinnati Private Police is the only private organization with fully empowered Private Police Officers.
                          If memory serves me correctly, San Francisco's Patrol Special Police has a similar arrangement.
                          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3980 users online. 301 members and 3679 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X