300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision Requirements in Ohio

Hello, I am looking at starting a career in law enforcement and have a question about the vision. When I was younger I had an injury to my left eye that has left me with vision of roughly 20/200 in that eye only. I see clearly out of my right eye 20/20 and do not require glasses for day to day activities. In Ohio, would this be an issue with getting on at an agency? I spoke to someone recently who said I could possibly get a medical clearance but wasn't sure if this is actually an option.

I don't know what a "medical clearance" is or who told you to pursue that. If you mean a waiver, forget about it, especially with a civil service agency. When depts stray from their posted hiring requirements, they are going into class action law suit territory, and there is no need to go there. Your vision is too bad for a lot of depts and you will be an auto DQ, so don't waste their time or yours thinking that you are going to get a waiver. A max of around 20/100 is pretty common, but it is not universal. Short answer is yes, it will cause you problems and you will get a lot of doors shut in your face.

Comment

Do departments have someone I could speak with to find out what is an option for me before I would attempt to apply?

Comment

Larger depts will have a recruiting section. Small and mid size depts will have a hiring manager, who is probably a member of the command staff.

Comment

Maybe you should just contact an agency instead of posting questions that are too vague. EACH agency has medical requirements.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Maybe you should just contact an agency instead of posting questions that are too vague. EACH agency has medical requirements.
            Maybe you should find a new hobby...... You seem to comment on post but have no valid information to provide.

Comment

Not sure if you got the answer some you needed, but is lasik an option? My eye sight 20/400 and would've been DQ'd from the OSHP but got lasik and I'm at 20/20ish

Comment

I spoke to an eye doctor and he said it could possibly but it's hard to saddle sure. And even with the surgery he didn't think that it could be corrected to 20/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like already said, check with the respective depts that you plan to apply with and see what the vision requirements are. You don't have to have perfect 20/20 vision. For example. OSHP vision requirements are no worse than 20/125 uncorrected. So check with the depts and see what the vision requirements are

Comment

Originally posted by E_K82 View Post
                    Maybe you should find a new hobby...... You seem to comment on post but have no valid information to provide.
                    Hey ****stick. I GAVE you good advice. YOUR problem is that you want us to tell you you are ok to be hired. You DONT get to dictate the replies you get.

Based on that history and your attitude, you won't go far.

Straighten your **** up.

Comment

Vision Requirements in Ohio

Someone asked about lasik and I replied. The post was to find people that have had similar obstacles with getting hired on an agency or maybe someone around here helps with the process for their agency and could give some insight. Yes the process will be different for each one but some info is better than no info right?? Just trying to get more info is all from those that walk it each day.

Last edited by E_K82; 10-22-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

You absolutely correct my appologies sir.

Comment

You got as much as you'll get. EACH AGENCY HAS ITS OWN STANDARDS.

If that didn't sink in, you're an idiot. I did not dig up this thread, however, I'm glad I saw it.

No shinebox goes to waste. Pick yours up on the way out.

Comment

That was my response back in July to you.... I understood what you were saying from the go but I was hoping to gain a little more info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5116 users online. 282 members and 4834 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X