Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors smoking marijuana

Hello-

First I would like to say thanks to anyone reading this and is willing to offer some advice. I did not plan on using this site for other than employment questions but I guess nothing ever amazes me anymore. I had neighbors move in this past weekend and everyday sometimes twice a day, they are smoking pot. I called Columbus Police after going to management here and the first time they came out, they smelled it in my basement where it was coming through but went next door and talk to them and left. I know it is only pot but the smell is so strong and so bad that I was up 3 hours last night venting my place. When it happens again (because it will), I will try to call again and see if I can get the cop to look into the basement window to see if they are doing it. Outside of that, I have informed management here and they gave them notice of a lease violation but who knows how long this will take to play out. I am trying to be a Police Officer and both my and my fiancée have employment where we are drug tested.

Is there anything that can be suggested that would help the police get cause to enter the residence? I only need one citation before I can have them evicted.

Thanks,

Dan

The police in your city will know what to do. They will know if they have probable cause or not. They will know if the neighbors should be warned, cited or arrested.

It would probably not go well for you if you start giving them tips on how to do their jobs, based on information you obtained from the internet. The internet is a place where someone can be anything they want; they can give advice when they are totally clueless.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I tried calling the police and they did absolutely nothing. I have called and they come out talk to them and leave and I get that I am sure this is not a high priority case but when you are kept up all night airing out your place because the smell is all over the place, then you tell me what you would do.

Comment

Originally posted by HopefulAcct View Post
        I tried calling the police and they did absolutely nothing.
        They responded to the call, they spoke with the neighbor, so they did something. There should be documentation at least in the form of a record of the call in dispatch; maybe you can FOIA that document and get the disposition. If you called this in and it was in-progress when the officers arrived, I find it hard to believe that they didn't do anything.
        I have called and they come out talk to them and leave and I get that I am sure this is not a high priority case but when you are kept up all night airing out your place because the smell is all over the place
        I feel for you and wouldn't want to be in that situation. As for the prioritization of calls, that falls on dispatch AND the supervisors. I understand you didn't get the result you wanted and the problem persists. Call your police department and ask to speak to a supervisor. Have them research the call and make them aware that you are not satisfied with the outcome.
        then you tell me what you would do.
        If the police cannot solve the problem, I would stay on the landlord and possibly retain an attorney. If your landlord gets a letter from your attorney, they may see it for the serious problem that it is.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

keep making drug complaints....it will become a repeat location and then you can send the info to the management so they see a continious record of calls to that location. if your calling annonymous....there isnt a lot that can be done on our end. If you actually leave your information and a phone number, that helps. in all honesty, it is a citation, a fine. unless they have a grow operation or more than 100 grams of marijuana there is not very much you can do.

keep complaining to management or move i guess...

Comment

The police are not allowed to walk around someone's house and peer into windows. There is ample case law on this. In addition, possession of less than 100 grams of MJ is a minor misdemeanor, which means the most that is going to happen is that the suspect will be given a ticket.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am not trying to quarterback them but more so asking questions in case there was another way to handle the situation. The last thing I need is this smell going through my whole place and an investigator shows up for my background review. Also, my fiancée and I are both in jobs where drugs are not tolerated. Management here hides behind this is a police issue and I call the police and they have limited options. They have stopped since I call again last night after having to air my place out for 3 hours due to the smell. We will see if it has stopped completely as I would just like to move on from this. Only 8 more months before I am done with this lease and can buy a house!

Thanks again.

Comment

Management here hides behind this is a police issue and I call the police and they have limited options.
                Have your lawyer contact them.
                Only 8 more months before I am done with this lease and can buy a house.
                This could be a way for you to get out of your lease early. If your property management is this negligent, they are a target. They should want to evict their dopers and retain good tenants such as yourself.
                Good luck with everything.

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3754 users online. 258 members and 3496 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X