Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated and Confused...need assistance!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated and Confused...need assistance!

I posted here before about a similar topic. I am currently a police officer with the NYPD and have 6 years experience. I want to relocate to Ohio and get a LE job over there. The police depts i applied to including cinncinnatti police say i need an OPOTA certificate if I want to do a lateral transfer. I called the ohio peace officer training commission and they told me I would get a certificate when I got the job and they would sit down with me and compare the training ive had in the NYPD to their standards.

So my questions are

1. If I were to do the OPOTA on my own, how long would it take and how much money would it be (i've tried looking this up, sorry if it's in an obvious place on the internet)

2. With my current experience, would I need to do any hours for the OPOTA?

3.If i get the certificate when i get the job, how am i suppose to send it to them for the application!?

Thank you in advance for the help. I feel like im getting the run around when i'm trying to find out information.

I don't have a specific answer for your question, but you may want to call and talk to someone at OPOTA. I would think that they would be able to give you some direction on your situation. Their number is online. Good luck with the transfer.

Comment

Went through exactly what you're experiencing about ten years ago. The long and short of it is this:

-OPOTA will NOT evaluate any of your training/certifications/peace officer certificate until you get a job and/or an agency to sponsor you. This didn't, and still doesn't, make any sense to me; when I asked the person I was talking to if it made any sense to them, I was told it's how Ohio code is written, and then silence (which validated in my mind that it didn't make any sense to them either).

-Your best bet is to either A: get an agency to sponsor you (any work-auxiliary, part-time or full-time), or B: test and go through the entire process with one of the larger police/sheriff agencies that sponsor candidates or their own academy (i.e. Cinti, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo).

OPOTA certification will run you about 5-6K out of pocket, and there's no guarantee of employment once you get it. Ohio is very backwards, or smart (depending on how you look at it) when it comes to this as there's no shortage in the major metropolitan areas of qualified candidates, many of whom are young and single and will work for peanuts to get their "foot in the door." Once you're in, from what I've seen, if you can network even a little you should have no trouble finding a good paying full-time gig.

Comment

Roadking is correct. OPOTA will not tell you anything or evaluate anything until you are hired by another agency, at which point they will compare what you have with what the state says you need, and require you to make up the difference. Depending on where you go to the academy, expect to spend 3K to 7K. Full time classes run four plus months while part time classes run about nine months. Ohio has turned police academies into a money making operation, graduating more certified people than are needed, so there are a lot of certified folks looking for a badge of any kind in order to keep their certification active. Ohio does some strange things sometimes. My brother resigned from a dept on day 1 and started at another dept on day 2, and OPOTA made him take refresher classes to keep his cert., so they are certainly not going to let you slide without taking any classes.

As far as laterals go, Ohio is a tough place to lateral to because of the catch-22 regarding certification. It is extremely rare for the major cities to take laterals. I know Cinci and Dayton have both tried it with disappointing results, so expect to go to an in-house academy for the major metro PDs. It is not unusual and, in some places fairly common, for small to medium size depts to require candidates to be OPOTA certified or to give preference to OPOTA certified candidates.

Is there any particular part of Ohio you are trying to get to? If you have some money saved up and if you are willing to get a non-LE job, you might consider moving to the part of the state that you like, and then applying for a special deputy's badge with the local sheriff, or try to get sworn in as an aux or part time officer with a village or township. Unlike some states, Ohio does not have various classifications of peace officers -- you are either sworn or you are not -- it doesn't matter whether you work 60 hours a week or 60 hours a year, sworn is sworn.

Like everywhere else, the economy has not been kind to Ohio, some depts have laid people off, left vacant positions unfilled and instituted pay freezes. Couple that with more certified people than are needed, it makes for a tough job market to break into.
        Last edited by just joe; 07-30-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

thanks for all the responses guys. It's looking like it may be a huge pain in the ***.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_Tofu View Post
            I posted here before about a similar topic. I am currently a police officer with the NYPD and have 6 years experience. I want to relocate to Ohio and get a LE job over there. The police depts i applied to including cinncinnatti police say i need an OPOTA certificate if I want to do a lateral transfer. I called the ohio peace officer training commission and they told me I would get a certificate when I got the job and they would sit down with me and compare the training ive had in the NYPD to their standards.

So my questions are

1. If I were to do the OPOTA on my own, how long would it take and how much money would it be (i've tried looking this up, sorry if it's in an obvious place on the internet)

3.If i get the certificate when i get the job, how am i suppose to send it to them for the application!?

Thank you in advance for the help. I feel like im getting the run around when i'm trying to find out information.
            Typical OPOTA police academies are about 6 months long, full time, and are usually $2500+.
            I can't speak to Cincinnati, but not many of the larger departments in Ohio allow lateral transfers. You usually have to go through the hiring process the same as if you've never been a Cop.

In Ohio, you are issued a certificate upon completion of an OPOTA sanctioned Police Academy. Just getting hired does not get you a certificate.

Comment

I would suggest applying to Columbus and going through the academy again. I came to CPD from NJ LE and it was well worth it. Academy was like a break from shift work. Mon-Fri day shift and nights and weekends off. Good luck

QUOTE=Rob_Tofu;3501701]I posted here before about a similar topic. I am currently a police officer with the NYPD and have 6 years experience. I want to relocate to Ohio and get a LE job over there. The police depts i applied to including cinncinnatti police say i need an OPOTA certificate if I want to do a lateral transfer. I called the ohio peace officer training commission and they told me I would get a certificate when I got the job and they would sit down with me and compare the training ive had in the NYPD to their standards.

So my questions are

Thank you in advance for the help. I feel like im getting the run around when i'm trying to find out information.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I would look into other gigs that are more local to your area. US Park Police in NY or Nassau/Suffolk. I know a lot of guys hate the NYPD and go over to port authority. I couldn't imagine taking the academy over again with a bunch of southern rookies
                I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

Are we really "southerners" in ohio? Especially columbus?

Comment

Originally posted by teufelhunden88 View Post
                    Are we really "southerners" in ohio? Especially columbus?
                    They supported Zimmerman
                    I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

Just don't do what this guy did.

http://forums.officer.com/t201925/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5403 users online. 307 members and 5096 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X