Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming OSHP Academy Class

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by CBitez View Post
    How long did it take you guys to hear back from the committee? I'm like pulling hairs over here. My background was completed a few days after Christmas..
    lol I can only imagine, I'm in the same boat but only to get my poly scheduled.. it's making me nervous I haven't heard anything yet. Good luck.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SuperTrooper! View Post

      I wouldn't worry about it. Keep your head up and your fingers crossed.
      I am applying the 1st when they re-open apps.

      only phase I'm nervous about is the polygraph. I've never taken one , but have nothing to hide.

      what is the process like, what do they ask? Etc

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Patsfan83 View Post

        I am applying the 1st when they re-open apps.

        only phase I'm nervous about is the polygraph. I've never taken one , but have nothing to hide.

        what is the process like, what do they ask? Etc
        Same here man.. Columbus will be the first poly I've ever taken and I don't know what to expect..

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CBitez View Post
          How long did it take you guys to hear back from the committee? I'm like pulling hairs over here. My background was completed a few days after Christmas..
          It took about a month for me to hear back from the selection committee.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Patsfan83 View Post

            I am applying the 1st when they re-open apps.

            only phase I'm nervous about is the polygraph. I've never taken one , but have nothing to hide.

            what is the process like, what do they ask? Etc
            I've taken 5 of them unfortunately. My best advice would be to know the answer to a question and stick with it. If you have smoked marijuana 2 times. Then you have smoked it 2 times and not 2... 3... or 4. Be confident because if you aren't you will fail.

            CBitez, keep us updated.
            Last edited by SuperTrooper!; 01-15-2017, 05:47 PM.
            Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SuperTrooper! View Post

              I've taken 5 of them unfortunately. My best advice would be to know the answer to a question and stick with it. If you have smoked marijuana 2 times. Then you have smoked it 2 times and not 2... 3... or 4. Be confident because if you aren't you will fail.

              CBitez, keep us updated.
              I've never actually done drugs and haven't had a drink in about 9 years. The only thing really in my background is I got fired from a job 11 years ago which caused a bankruptcy. And I stole two things as a kid.

              I heard they ask all kinds of embarrassing sexual questions. Embarrasing to talk about for an introvert. Someone might of been messing with me though.
              Last edited by Patsfan83; 01-15-2017, 06:19 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Patsfan83 View Post

                I've never actually done drugs and haven't had a drink in about 9 years. The only thing really in my background is I got fired from a job 11 years ago which caused a bankruptcy. And I stole two things as a kid.

                I heard they ask all kinds of embarrassing sexual questions. Embarrasing to talk about for an introvert. Someone might of been messing with me though.
                I doubt it man that's what I've heard too! But answer honestly and get it over with and be accountable for your mistakes no excuses.

                Comment


                • You will be asked all kinds of things, I wont go into specifics obviously but yes, they will ask you questions that could possibly embarrassing. If you have not done those things, then there is nothing to worry about. If you have done those things, take responsibility and be honest. These are not things they have not heard before. Ive only taken 1, so I'm not the poly wizard but follow these guidelines and you will be ok.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CBitez View Post
                    How long did it take you guys to hear back from the committee? I'm like pulling hairs over here. My background was completed a few days after Christmas..
                    what kind of timeline was your process? I ask because I am signed up in a self sponsored academy starting in March. I would be willing to leave the self sponsored academy and lose some money maybe halfway through if i was fortunate enough to be hired by OSP. This decision is really difficult for me to make up my mind

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by cfuller19 View Post

                      what kind of timeline was your process? I ask because I am signed up in a self sponsored academy starting in March. I would be willing to leave the self sponsored academy and lose some money maybe halfway through if i was fortunate enough to be hired by OSP. This decision is really difficult for me to make up my mind
                      If it were me I'd continue with your self sponsored academy and just play the course for the hiring process with osp.. just in case osp doesn't work out you're still in an academy and can get your certification. Just be sure to get hired once you obtain the certification so it doesn't expire after one year and then it was all for nothing basically.. I'd say you're making a good move because you're still setting yourself up for success either way it goes. One day at a time, once that time comes then worry about it then.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by cfuller19 View Post

                        what kind of timeline was your process? I ask because I am signed up in a self sponsored academy starting in March. I would be willing to leave the self sponsored academy and lose some money maybe halfway through if i was fortunate enough to be hired by OSP. This decision is really difficult for me to make up my mind
                        I'm not the OP but my process started in October and I finished background this month so it only took 3-4 months. I'm still waiting for the email that I've been officially accepted/denied. Obviously my process also included three major holidays where officers weren't available due to vacation so it can go by pretty quick depending on how clean your background is and if you have all of your paperwork in order.

                        One side note is that my experience seemed to require me to be available on fairly short notice for both poly and background. I've never been to an academy but I would imagine you can't just take a day off if you need to. That being said, I would follow the path you're taking. I'm currently in the hiring process for another agency and they said had I already gone through opota I would have been one of the first ones on their list and could very well have already been hired but instead I'm further back in line, even with really good test scores.
                        Last edited by Future_OSHP; 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Future_OSHP View Post

                          I'm not the OP but my process started in October and I finished background this month so it only took 3-4 months. I'm still waiting for the email that I've been officially accepted/denied. Obviously my process also included three major holidays where officers weren't available due to vacation so it can go by pretty quick depending on how clean your background is and if you have all of your paperwork in order.

                          One side note is that my experience seemed to require me to be available on fairly short notice for both poly and background. I've never been to an academy but I would imagine you can't just take a day off if you need to. That being said, I would follow the path you're taking. I'm currently in the hiring process for another agency and they said had I already gone through opota I would have been one of the first ones on their list and could very well have already been hired but instead I'm further back in line, even with really good test scores.
                          Thank you for your in depth response. I think thats what Im going to do. I obtain a bachelors in CJ as well. I was considering the option because although I would lose money from paying the academy, being with OSP meant i had a job and getting paid at academy would be great. All of these processes take forever.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Future_OSHP View Post

                            I'm not the OP but my process started in October and I finished background this month so it only took 3-4 months. I'm still waiting for the email that I've been officially accepted/denied. Obviously my process also included three major holidays where officers weren't available due to vacation so it can go by pretty quick depending on how clean your background is and if you have all of your paperwork in order.

                            One side note is that my experience seemed to require me to be available on fairly short notice for both poly and background. I've never been to an academy but I would imagine you can't just take a day off if you need to. That being said, I would follow the path you're taking. I'm currently in the hiring process for another agency and they said had I already gone through opota I would have been one of the first ones on their list and could very well have already been hired but instead I'm further back in line, even with really good test scores.
                            When was your background finished?
                            Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by cfuller19 View Post

                              Thank you for your in depth response. I think thats what Im going to do. I obtain a bachelors in CJ as well. I was considering the option because although I would lose money from paying the academy, being with OSP meant i had a job and getting paid at academy would be great. All of these processes take forever.
                              Sounds like a good plan. I agree, it can take forever. A larger agency I applied for took about a year and a half after my test to start my background, and background was their first step after the physical and written tests. The nice thing is it gives you time to think about whether you want to do it or not and gives you time to prepare as well.

                              Good luck with both the academy and highway patrol.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SuperTrooper! View Post

                                When was your background finished?
                                The 6th of January. I was surprised how quick it went. I don't know if that is quick for highway patrol but it has been quicker than the other agencies I am in the process for.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 2802 users online. 160 members and 2642 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X