Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with a few spare cents in advice?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me with a few spare cents in advice?

I am a British Police Officer and I am currently in the middle of applying for a career break with my current Constabulary in order to move to the USA and marry my USC Fiance. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I am hoping to try and make use of the skills I have learnt and currently have from this role in order to gain employment whilst in the USA. I was just wondering if there are any conditions you have to meet in order to be employed as a Civillian, Support or Administrative member of staff within Ohio, particularly in the Cincinnati area. And also what kind of roles exist within this area???

Any advice would be useful as though I know I cannot actively look for work until I have the right to do so through various visa applications it would be nice to know where to look first.

Thank you

Danger - Warning

Once you move to the colonies and become uncivilized, you can never be civilized again.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

As long as you are legal to be employed you should be fine. Most agencies also usually require you have an in State driver's license.

My department (in Central Ohio) actually has an Officer who is not a US Citizen, but have lived in the States for years. I have also met Officers from other agencies with very noticeable British accents, I can't speak for how long they lived in the States but clearly they didn't grow up here and were able to do whatever was needed to get employed by a LE agency.

You sound like you are looking into more of a support role than a commissioned officer, but I point these examples out since being a Police Officer is the position that undergoes the most scrutiny. If people in your shoes are accepted in those roles than the civilian roles would be easier to get.
      Off the top of my head I would think: dispatch, corrections, something like parking or code enforcement. In a big city like Cincinnati there are a lot of support type roles I am sure.

You may also want to do your inquiries in Kentucky as well. Cincinnati is a stone's throw from Kentucky, in fact some of the suburbs are in Kentucky. I don't know if their standards are different or more laxed but just another avenue to check into.

Good luck. But remember, we do the whole gun thing here
      Last edited by Kabal; 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Of course, you did know that it's a requirement to be a US citizen to be a LEO here in America, right?........
        Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
          Of course, you did know that it's a requirement to be a US citizen to be a LEO here in America, right?........
          Not all agencies/states require citizenship to occupy a sworn position; some only mandate residence and work authorization. I would suggest a review of the respective states POST/LE board to determine the actual requirements.

In regards to Ohio, I did note that US Citizenship appears to be a requirement per their Peace Officers Board and several local agency vacancy announcements, but again, this is not a universal requirement.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
            I have sworn officers working for my agency that are not U.S. citizens.
            As I was told, candidates who had been denied a chance due to not yet being a citizen caused a Federal lawsuit (or several for all I know).

Comment

I thought you had to be a US Citizen to own/carry firearms. Guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                I thought you had to be a US Citizen to own/carry firearms. Guess not.
                Actually you do not even have to be a resident alien. The Instructions on the BATF form 4473 explain it fairly well. Some states will issue CCW to different forms of aliens as well, depending on state law.

A resident alien can get an FFL and even become a SOT....so it would make sense if you can sell or mfg guns, you should be able to own and carry them as well :-).
                Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Once your married and live here, it should not be that hard to become a citizen. I met a deputy sheriff from Franklin County to is from Ireland. Best of luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4622 users online. 208 members and 4414 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X