X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with the blue lights?

http://policecarwebsite.net/westside/ohio170.jpg

OSHP switching from red and blues?

In NY, blue lights only were used by volunteer fireman to get to the fire house or seen quicker. Not sure if you actually had to pull over for them or not but I always did. In Virginia and Florida for awhile they used just blue light but made a switch to avoid confusing northerns who thought they were volunteer fireman..lol

Comment

statebear-

Brother, In Ohio ONLY police vehicles can use blue lights, period. Fire departments and chiefs cannot use them; they only use red. IMO, sort of makes sense to go to exclusive blues on the light bars; although I expect you will still have wig wags, take downs, and alley lights of different colors than blue.

And as usual, MPInv chips in on an area where he has no earthly idea what he's talking about........ Failing to pull over for ANY responding emergency vehicle in Ohio will get you a cite in a heartbeat.....
      Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

10-4. I didn't know OH was a LE blue light State, since most of the PDs and S.O.s I have seen over there run red/blue.....

We are the opposite over here; we are red lights for LE, Fire and EMS ONLY, blue for volunteer Fire.

Any idea why the change for the OSHP to all blue suddenly?

Comment

Oh, it's not strictly a blue-light state. There's still plenty of agencies in Ohio with red/blue......but OSHP probably wanted to be clearly identified as an L.E. agency; and as you know, blue lights are clearly distinct. There's a visibility issue, also. I'm thinking it's easier to see flashing blue lights at night as opposed to red ones.....I'm not too sure on that. I'm saying that because we were made to use red-lens lights out in the field during field ops; instead of blue or white lens, because of the visibility issues.
          Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

No you’re exactly right. Blue is better at night and red is better during the day. Florida HP has their light bar rigged to coincide with the time of day or night. They flash blue at night and red during the day. There is some study out there that proved those colors are better seen at different times of the day.....

I just never figured OH to be like AR, VA, NC, GA, etc.....when it came to LE lights (blue only).

Comment

I was told the new SHP chief wanted to go with Blue. I was also told that the cars are going to go to a gray color

Comment

We're still Red/Blue here. It's going to take some getting used to that's for sure and I see a few calls to dispatch to make sure it's really 5-0 stopping them.
                "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Gray wouldn't be bad, thats what they ran for years before going to white cars, I always thought they had sharp looking cars before they started running white ones.

Blue lights would take getting used too. I have never lived or worked in a blue only light State. It may take the citizens some time to get used to that and maybe some calls to dispatch. I know IL is like that with Chicago PD running blues only, but the rest of the State running red/blue.

Comment

Originally posted by statebear View Post
                    we are red lights for LE,
                    Not sure about your neck of the woods.....but we don't run straight red light....we've got a mix of red/blue......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      Not sure about your neck of the woods.....but we don't run straight red light....we've got a mix of red/blue......
                      Red light State, in the sense that non-emergency vehicle personnel can not run red, to include vol. fire. Back in the day we ran all red only, now we run red/blue as most LE agencies do throughout the entire State. (I still see some city/county all red light bars here and there.) Blue lights only is for Vol Fire POVs over here, as you well know. For what its worth I did find out after transferring down here from the metro, that vol. fire chiefs are authorized red/blue lights on their POVs.

Comment

They are changing them for "officer safety", trying to make the cars more visible at night. I don't know what kind of light bars they are using, but they are SUPER bright. Post 9 has a few cars with them installed. There are a few other agency's in Hamilton county that are all blue.
                        Last edited by JB21386; 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by statebear View Post
                          Red light State, in the sense that non-emergency vehicle personnel can not run red, to include vol. fire.
                          I know.... Just busting your hump.....as MO can use red/blue combo.... unlike some states that are straight red for LEOs....

We are straight blue out here.... Though, the Sheriff's Dept has red in their stuff.....

Comment

We got you all beat, in SC only police and SECURITY GUARDS can use blue lights…. Yep security guards, who have the authority of Deputy Sheriffs and can make arrest, issue citations, get warrants….

No, I don’t think we are crazy, we are totally ------- insane!

Oh, fire & EMS has red only.
                            Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                              We got you all beat, in SC only police and SECURITY GUARDS can use blue lights…. Yep security guards, who have the authority of Deputy Sheriffs and can make arrest, issue citations, get warrants….

No, I don’t think we are crazy, we are totally ------- insane!

Oh, fire & EMS has red only.
                              Seriously? I can't even state citations off duty in another jurisdiction. That sucks!
                              "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                              I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8145 users online. 393 members and 7752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X