300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medina, Summit, Wayne counties??

anyone from around here? i have been out of the acedemy a few months and finding it difficult to get a commission. im only looking for part time / auxiliary and still nothing. i would even consider volunteer just to hold a commission !!

bneil-

I am originally from this area, and have a brother who is a LEO there. Please know and believe that area is incredibly difficult to get picked up by an agency right now, and has been for quite a long time. One of the main reasons I never attempted to move back close to the family after the service is because I was afraid of encountering the difficulty that you are currently facing.

My honest recommendation to you: If you are dead-set on keeping your Ohio commission alive, consider relocating from the N.E. Ohio area, and look around the Columbus area for a reserve commission with one of the smaller towns/villages. The overall employment picture is a bit better around Columbus than where you are now.

Failing that, you must consider applying/relocating out of state. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but there's simply not much in Ohio for LEO prospects right now; especially in the N.E. part.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

I'm down here in Central Ohio and when I'm doing job searches, I always find departments around the Cleveland and Youngstown areas hiring. Part-time and Full-time. Just giving you some hope, the jobs are out there. Keep searching!

Comment

^^^ With all due respect, sir, you are giving very vague information. You're not a LEO, you're a realtor. I've been an Ohio LEO before, and as I said in my earlier post; I grew up in N.E. Ohio. I left this area due to it's horrible L.E. job market, and it's only going to get worse.

Cleveland P.D. laid off it's entire graduating class not too long ago, has not hired them back, and might be laying off more officers very soon. Nearly 100 Akron officers got lay-off notices in June 2009. Summit County S.O. did a layoff a year ago and still hasn't hired back all their deputies. Same thing for Stark county. There is already a tremendous glut of qualified LEO's in N.E. Ohio who were laid off and actively trying to uphold their commissions. I stand by my post, and if you're saying that you're seeing "part time and full time" LEO jobs in the area, please quote the departments and/or announcements.

I am all about giving hope, but I am also about being blunt and realistic.

Comment

Let me also add that just because you "see" departments advertising a test does not mean they are hiring. Municipalities often give civil service eligibility tests without actually hiring anyone off that list. I have been an LEO in this area for ten years, and if I was entering the field now I would not choose N.E. Ohio. I am in a decent size suburb, and it did not come easy. I had to commute three counties over until I finally got picked up in the Cleveland area. You may see more departments hire over the next few years with many DROP retirements coming up.

If your lucky enough to get picked up, the economy sucks in this area, and every city is making cutbacks. Even though I am moderately happy, If I had to do it over again I would be in Texas.
          "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
            ^^^ With all due respect, sir, you are giving very vague information. You're not a LEO, you're a realtor. I've been an Ohio LEO before, and as I said in my earlier post; I grew up in N.E. Ohio. I left this area due to it's horrible L.E. job market, and it's only going to get worse.

Cleveland P.D. laid off it's entire graduating class not too long ago, has not hired them back, and might be laying off more officers very soon. Nearly 100 Akron officers got lay-off notices in June 2009. Summit County S.O. did a layoff a year ago and still hasn't hired back all their deputies. Same thing for Stark county. There is already a tremendous glut of qualified LEO's in N.E. Ohio who were laid off and actively trying to uphold their commissions. I stand by my post, and if you're saying that you're seeing "part time and full time" LEO jobs in the area, please quote the departments and/or announcements.

I am all about giving hope, but I am also about being blunt and realistic.
            My apologies for not having my profile updated for the last three years....yes, I am a LEO. In Central Ohio. Yes, there are departments hiring in that area. Maybe I am wrong in that maybe they are just having tests for eligibility lists but.....I have seen many posts....if you are so desperate that you want me to take a minute to search and post the listings I find then OK. I'll do that at a later time.

Maybe I am wrong in trying to be positive and give someone else hope because I have done a lot of searching myself and have been in those same shoes......but if I have offended someone because of that....well SORRY!

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
              Let me also add that just because you "see" departments advertising a test does not mean they are hiring. Municipalities often give civil service eligibility tests without actually hiring anyone off that list. I have been an LEO in this area for ten years, and if I was entering the field now I would not choose N.E. Ohio. I am in a decent size suburb, and it did not come easy. I had to commute three counties over until I finally got picked up in the Cleveland area. You may see more departments hire over the next few years with many DROP retirements coming up.

If your lucky enough to get picked up, the economy sucks in this area, and every city is making cutbacks. Even though I am moderately happy, If I had to do it over again I would be in Texas.
              I will agree that many of the posts I have seen could possibly be for civil service eligibility lists. I usually map out where a department is and if its not where I'm willing to move to, I don't look into their whole process.
              Last edited by snredrum; 08-31-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snredrum View Post
                My apologies for not having my profile updated for the last three years....yes, I am a LEO. In Central Ohio. Yes, there are departments hiring in that area. Maybe I am wrong in that maybe they are just having tests for eligibility lists but.....I have seen many posts....if you are so desperate that you want me to take a minute to search and post the listings I find then OK. I'll do that at a later time.

Maybe I am wrong in trying to be positive and give someone else hope because I have done a lot of searching myself and have been in those same shoes......but if I have offended someone because of that....well SORRY!
                No one is "Desperate." No one is blasting you for trying to be positive..... IF you had read the beginning of my post, I said: With All Due Respect.

However, as I said before; it's always more helpful and informative to post the info you are quoting if it's a job lead. Finally, it's on you that you haven't updated your profile, not me. So if I called you out as a Realtor when your profile SAYS you are one, well.....I can hardly be blamed for that, now can I?

Comment

I did read the beginning of your post.... But to me it sounded like sarcasm... If there was none then that's on me and I apologize. And this is the Internet, I can't believe that you believe everything that you read on the Internet! :-) besides, I could be a Realtor and a LEO at the same time!

I'll try and post some things I find in that area. I'm not saying I have the direct experience in that area as you guys do, just saying I've come across a few postings. I know it has been pretty rough up there.

QuietPro, I'm not trying to start an Internet fight. I'll fix my profile here in a bit.

Comment

http://jobs.cleveland.com/careers/jo...tworkView=main
                    http://www.ihirelawenforcement.com/P...aign=IndeedPPC
                    http://recordpub.thejobnetwork.com/J...ampaign=Indeed

and just recently I believe Canton had a civil service test. University of Akron just closed out their job posting last week I believe.

Anyway, hope these help! They may be a little far from the counties you listed but, may be worth a look.

Comment

http://jobs.cleveland.com/careers/jo...tworkView=main
                      http://www.ihirelawenforcement.com/P...aign=IndeedPPC
                      http://recordpub.thejobnetwork.com/J...ampaign=Indeed

and just recently I believe Canton had a civil service test. University of Akron just closed out their job posting last week I believe.

Anyway, hope these help! They may be a little far from the counties you listed but, may be worth a look.
                      Macedonia laid off about 4 guys 2 years ago, so I can almost guarantee that is an eligibly list. The Cleveland Clinic ad is not for their main campus, so will probably only be one or two positions at best. Also different retirement system. Cuyahoga Falls would probably be the best bet as they are a bigger city, but not sure what their economic situation is over there.
                      "In valor there is hope"

Comment

I did read the beginning of your post.... But to me it sounded like sarcasm... If there was none then that's on me and I apologize. And this is the Internet, I can't believe that you believe everything that you read on the Internet! :-) besides, I could be a Realtor and a LEO at the same time!

I'll try and post some things I find in that area. I'm not saying I have the direct experience in that area as you guys do, just saying I've come across a few postings. I know it has been pretty rough up there.

QuietPro, I'm not trying to start an Internet fight. I'll fix my profile here in a bit.
                        10-4 and I appreciate it. Thanks for posting those links; they should come in helpful for others hoping to land a commission in these difficult times....

Comment

Haha, thats hilarious QuietPro, I am hesitant to ever post any openings that I see due to the fact that we are all in competition. This is the internet and none of us are truly friends unless we physically know eachother. So why help the competition. Anways, I agree that it is difficult to land anything in NE Ohio. You just have to keep on trying. Eventually you will catch a break. If you don't want to look out of state (which is my problem I can't go out of state due to wifes job) then look into reserve or auxillary even. This day in age with so many applicants, you are going to have to go above and beyond. Show them your work ethic, let them put a face to your application. I don't really know much of anything, I don't have LE experience yet so I don't want to pretend to know what I am talking about. Just think outside the box, life is what you make it. Best of luck to you snredrum.

Comment

OOps, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the beginning post! I just noticed that you state all you are looking for is auxillary or part-time. I figured I would say my bad before someone blasts me for my post. I was just curious though why you went through the academy to be part-time or just auxillary?

Comment

Originally posted by cleveland6 View Post
                              Haha, thats hilarious QuietPro, I am hesitant to ever post any openings that I see due to the fact that we are all in competition. This is the internet and none of us are truly friends unless we physically know eachother. So why help the competition.
                              ????

Not really understanding your post. I'm not in competition with anyone; I'm already a LEO with a job and not looking to undercut anyone. Just offering my own advice, like others also do on this forum. Not everyone has an ulterior motive. No, I wouldn't say we are all in competition with each-other.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9181 users online. 431 members and 8750 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X