300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ohioguy View Post
    Thats what ive been trying to do but like Ohio 5-0 said most places don't do a very good job advertising it.
    pretty sure they only have to advertise when it's civil service. i may be wrong though. where are you looking? just locally or statewide? i used that method and was testing atleast once a month.
    I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

Most of my focus has been local but have loped in other parts of the state as well. If they only have to advertise if it is civil service how do you find out about the others?

Comment

Originally posted by ohioguy View Post
        Most of my focus has been local but have loped in other parts of the state as well. If they only have to advertise if it is civil service how do you find out about the others?
        contacting the department. you also have to remember not all departments test every year, some civil service tests are good for 2 years etc. and some smaller departments you first start out as an auxiliary officer and work your way to part time and then full time.

i started here, http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_78_oh.html
        just about every department in ohio is listed and i basically went down the list checking city websites and using job search sites that pull from multiple sources(like indeed.com). most midsized departments and above are good at advertising or atleast that city is good about listing it on their human resources page.
        I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

When I was looking for agencys hiring things were a little less Internet involved.

I got the name and address of agencies in areas I was interested in and mailed each one a letter.

I wrote a basic letter with some basic fluff and that I was interested in testing or applying with their agency and could they please inform me of their next available test.

I got a pretty good response. Some responded immediately and mailed me back an application, some responded and told me when the next test date would be or was expected to be.

I even got some responses months later, sending me an application when the process had opened up.

It didn't take a great amount of time, since I just had one letter and changed the agency information. And it only cost me a book or two of stamps.

Just one thought if you are trying to cover all bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabal View Post
            When I was looking for agencys hiring things were a little less Internet involved.

I got the name and address of agencies in areas I was interested in and mailed each one a letter.

I wrote a basic letter with some basic fluff and that I was interested in testing or applying with their agency and could they please inform me of their next available test.

I got a pretty good response. Some responded immediately and mailed me back an application, some responded and told me when the next test date would be or was expected to be.

I even got some responses months later, sending me an application when the process had opened up.

It didn't take a great amount of time, since I just had one letter and changed the agency information. And it only cost me a book or two of stamps.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a great way to find out about the smaller departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabal View Post

This is excellent advice. I think on an off day I am going to start trying this!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9132 users online. 397 members and 8735 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X