Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of training is everyone doing to get themselves ready?

Comment

killing it at the gym and running, running, and more running

Comment

p90x, kettlebell, and running as much as possible.

Comment

there are 3 scheduled academy classes

Comment

when do you test again?

Comment

Just had my poly on the 22nd. From what I understand there will be Sept, April, and Sept classes starting this Sept. Lt contacted me in April(i think) asking if I was still interested in employment. Then I received notice of the poly, so I assume they're going through with the classes.
              Last edited by johnsonb90436; 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smk80 View Post
                me too. do you know what all we have to do? bench press, leg press, VO2 (run on treadmill)? do we have to run the 1 1/2 mile and do push ups and sit up again. just curious.
                Yes you will have to do the timed run, push ups, and sit ups again. Must show improvement from what I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by MOFF52 View Post
                  How long did it take you to get through. I just applied in Jan. and was just curious how long I am going to have to wait for the test and rest of the process?
                  I applied back in January too. Haven't heard anything yet but we were told it would probably be atleast 6 months to hear something.

Comment

done with all my tests. now keeping my fingers crossed i get in for the upcoming class.

Comment

good luck smk.

if you haven't seen this, read over it

Try to know before you enter the academy:
                      -Names and locations of all 88 counties
                      -Know the alphabetical number that goes w/ each county (Adams = 1; Wyandot = 88) You get the idea
                      -Know all the post locations and the district HQ's
                      -I don't know if you can get a copy of these, but if you can get your hands on a copy of their signals, learn those.
                      (i.e. Signal 79 = Mentally disturbed person) It will make your morning inspections much less painful.
                      -If you can get a copy of the Ohio Revised Code book- start memorizing the traffic law section and know it inside and out!
                      You will be tested on all of this weekly and you will be given absolutely NO time to study while at
                      the Academy so don't plan on doing anything on the weekends! You will be going home and studying and typing, typing,
                      typing your notes.
                      -Start memorizing all the Academy's staff unit numbers- this will also make inspections a little more bearable.

The OSHP Academy is a LIFE CHANGING experience and those guys know what they are doing and are some of the best at it!
                      If you don't think you can handle getting screamed at 24-5, don't waste their time. You'll be surprised at how many leave
                      after a day or so. My advice- no matter how much you hate it, stick it out to at least the first weekend. Go home and tell
                      your family how much you've put up with and you'll realize you can handle it and it's ALL worth it!
                      A few more parting pieces of advice: go in with a 'high and tight' military haircut. No gel or long hair.
                      They will cut it for you and you don't want that! Take a plain colored swimsuit. No board shorts or anything like that!
                      And if you aren't a strong swimmer, GET STRONG! Tank (pool) physical training or P.T. is the WORST and HARDEST P.T. you
                      will do! Go get a very nice pair of oxford shoes (I recommend Thorgood) and break 'em in before you go- I mean run in 'em
                      and everything b/c that's what you'll be doing there; trust me! And shine 'em to a mirror before you show up!!! Come up
                      with some cadences. Something like (They say call an Ohio State Trooper man, the best state troopers in land!)
                      Pay attention when they teach you how to make a rack (bed). Nothing gets your room tossed more than a poorly made bed.
                      And they will throw EVERYTHING in your room in the hall! Take a silver sharpie marker and write your name small on the
                      inside of your uniform b/c they will throw ALL of EVERYONE'S clothes in a big pile in the middle of the hall and give you
                      like 2 minutes to get everyone's clothes back to the right person and changed. Tell EVERYONE to do this! I don't think I
                      ever got the correct shirts/pants back after the first time they did that. Also, don't try to save time by not showering
                      when you are told to- trust me, the consequences to this are NOT WORTH saving those couple of minutes! Finally, no matter
                      where you are going (to class, P.T, wherever) go as a class. If you are done getting ready before your classmates,
                      GO HELP THEM SOMEHOW!!!! Just yell, "Who needs help?!" Trust me, someone's rack will need made or something!
                      Don't have 5 cadets sitting in class waiting for your classmates! If you're going to do it, do it together!
                      And above all, be loud when you sound off, be it in class with the core values (you'll see how to do that) or
                      while running- be loud. And especially when you are inside the building! They want to hear you screaming at the top of
                      your lungs no matter where you are. If you can't be heard from the other side of the building, you aren't being loud
                      enough! For some reason, there will be people who don't sound off??? Take them aside in the evening or sometime with a
                      few other cadets and practice marching and sounding off at the same time! You'll probably need to practice marching a lot
                      in the evenings in the beginning too. You military guys will know this- some people don't pick up on that quickly.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9829 users online. 466 members and 9363 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X