Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your dept use unmarked cars for patrol ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your dept use unmarked cars for patrol ?

I say in my experience here in Ohio that unmarked cars do not see a lot of use as patrol units, due to state laws about LE and unmarked cars. Some fellow from TX does not buy that.

I only know what I see everyday, and have seen for whatever part of my 46 years of age I was aware of my surroundings.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

You're killing me.

I never said that unmarked cars were used just for patrol. The "ORC" you quoted was for vehicles and officers conducted strictly traffic enforcement. In the instance of the "article" you posted (that you fully believed btw) it was not a "routine traffic stop" pictured. It was a "take down".
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Wow that has to be a record for a reply in the OH section from a TX LEO.

Lets see what the Ohio guys have to say.

And when I posted the article I said it was "almost beyond belief". I'll bet you an ice cold coke there will not be any OTHER activity in that area by LE wearings masks :-).

Bill
      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

It depends on what type of "patrol" you are referring to.

They cannot be used for traffic enforcement patrol, as it is not allowed by the Ohio Revised Code.
        Unmarked cars CAN STILL make traffic stops and issue citations, as long as that was not their primary function.

But as far as using them for patrol, larger departments use them. They are great in areas with problems of burglary, robbery, prostitution, etc.

A smaller department that can only put a half dozen cars out on patrol a shift would never use them, but bigger departments can get a lot of advantage using them. They are cheaper to equip too, no graphics, external emergency lights, usually no laptop, and my agencies don't even have mobile radios installed (we use portable radios in them).

Comment

ususally used for watching a particular area and observing stuff. great for scoping dope houses and sitting up on problem areas. we never use for traffic stops, but rather radio for a marked unit to make the stop, then officer who observed can issue ticket, even if from unmakred car.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7765 users online. 415 members and 7350 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X