No announcement yet.

Transferring Peace Officer Cert to Ohio


300x250 Mobile

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transferring Peace Officer Cert to Ohio

    Hey everyone, I did a search, but came up empty handed. I will be moving to Ohio in the next 3 months for an Emergency Management job, and would like to transfer my Peace officer cert and become a reserve for an agency. To tell you the truth I don't even know if Ohio does Reserve officers (Fill commissioned peace officers, with full police Power, just do it for free). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

    "There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

    R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

    Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

  • #2
    You're in luck, Ohio LOVES Reserve officers. So much so, that the majority of officers start as Reserve officers for their FTO time (it's free and the PD doesn't have to pay you) before moving on to a PART TIME Officer. Unless you're going to the big 6 (Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, Cincinnati, Toledo, and Dayton) full time jobs are hard to find (Good thing you're going for Emergency Management).

    ***The above paragraph is refering to my specific county, it may vary from place to place***

    As far as transferring your Peace Officer Certification, I think you have to get with either OPOTA (Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) or a localized OPOTA Affiliate (mostly located at colleges) for a training evaluation for conversion. You MAY have to take an update class here or there...

    I'm still certified and on Leave of Absence with a local agency in Ohio while I do this federal law enforcement gig... I'm looking to go back for a full time position, and I will most likely have to take some updates as well.

    Anyway, that's all I have for you - can anyone else elaborate or correct me??
    Last edited by US0083; 12-30-2010, 03:49 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.


    • #3
      You need to speak with someone from Certifications and Standards at OPOTA. They will probably only speak in generalities and will not give you any official answer until you are hired by a dept and you send in your certs for review. It is my understanding that Tx law and Oh law are very similiar. Reserve or auxiliary officers seem to be a regional thing. Expect to find most of these positions in more rural areas/small depts. Probably all sheriff's depts have some type of reserve deputy program, so that would be another place to look.


      • #4

        Go to this website. If you can't find your answers here it will give you contact numbers and/or emails that may get you the information you would need. Good Luck. Oh and central Ohio loves reserves.


        • #5
          Mostly good info. I called the OPOTA people about this myself. They will not review your credentials until they receive a letter of intent to hire from the agency you are applying to. Then they will look at your certs for equivalency and if there are any gaps you have to take some classes. If you are coming from a POST state there are no gaps and all you have to do is take a 40 hour law update. Good Luck!


          MR300x250 Tablet


          What's Going On


          There are currently 3190 users online. 192 members and 2998 guests.

          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

          Welcome Ad